Thread: Cumberland

mtbr member

Cumberland

Hey there! New to mountain biking and to living on the west coast!

I am living in Victoria and looking into a 3 or 4 day mountain bike trip up to Cumberland and staying at the Riding Fool Hostel. Any tips I should know? Good pubs?

Looking for AM riding and my buddy is pretty hardcore DH. Any trail suggestions? I have heard of Forbidden Plateau.. but need some info!

Thanks!

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    These guys may be of some help: http://www.unitedridersofcumberland.com/

mtbr member
    Like you, I live in Victoria, but I grew-up in the Comox Valley. I still ride there as often as I can. I am primarily an AM rider. There are great maps of Cumberland and Forbidden.

http://www.cvmtb.com/index.php/trail...and-trail-map/
    http://www.cvmtb.com/index.php/trail...eau-trail-map/

You can also get the paper versions in the local bike shops.

Forbidden: I really like riding up Boston Main, and coming down Rudy’s then crossing the road to do Tomato Creek. If you don’t feel like climbing, you can shuttle Forbidden Plateau from the parking lot of the defunct ski resort.

Cumberland: You can’t shuttle Cumberland, but the trails are worth the effort. I really like Grub – Stub – Pity the Fool, also Cupcake – Bakers Dozen – DCDH is great too. I enjoyed Thirsty Beaver – 42 Street – Off Broadway – Hai Gai last time I was up. I

Actual locals will know way me than me, but that’s my 2˘.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Read this - http://www.pinkbike.com/news/comox-v...trip-2010.html

and definitely support the local businesses profiled there

mtbr member
    There is a wack of logging going on in the hills behind Cumberland at the moment....Some of the classier newer trails are affected. The front page of CVMTB.com has a map of affected areas. Some of the higher stuff off Fobidden is still under mucho snow, but Lower Cabin Fever down is good. I'd look into getting Martin from IMR to guide for a day on Forbidden. There are heaps of people heading out for rides in Cumberland all the time, so plenty of opportunities to bribe locals with beers for a guided tour of the local system. Forbidden is cherry right now. There are some very good new un mapped trails. Split the cost of a Pro guide for a morning or afternoon around Forbidden...it will be well worth it. The Waverly is the place to go, good burgers and pub grub. The King George has the freshest pickled eggs in town... The Cumberland Hotel is nice and there is Sushi next door. If you stay at the Hostel, and you're single, insist on the Co-Ed dorm room If you have any questions on the area feel free to ask....

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! Really appreciate it!

All booked up and leaving tomorrow morning, staying at the Co-Ed dorm

mtbr member
    So, how was Cumberland? Any new trail recommendations?

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_monty View Post
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! Really appreciate it!

All booked up and leaving tomorrow morning, staying at the Co-Ed dorm
    How was the riding?
    And how the the co-ed dorm?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Cumberland BC

A great article on Pinkbike today about my town and local trails. He says it better than I can.

Characters 11: The United Riders of Cumberland - Pinkbike

Come and ride here if you can!
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Really is amazing. Hope you manage to find a good trail working crew with which to hook up when you moved there
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Anytime. Anywhere.
    UROC trail maintenance day Sunday with BBQ!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Wow, Riders Pizza is opening a brewery! As if you needed another reason to visit. Great pizza and fresh local beer!

Craft brewery and lounge opening in Cumberland - Local - Comox Valley Echo
    Last edited by Travis Bickle; 12-08-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Boxing Day
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cumberland-image.jpg  

Cumberland-image.jpg  

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Boxing Day? It looks so green on the trails!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    About +6 or 7 that day. Still sunny but just above freezing today. There is nothing better than a sunny winter day here. Local beer was delicious after riding.

Anytime. Anywhere.

mtbr member

Cumberland

Great looking trails and scenery!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    After a rainy first 1/2 of February we are now having great weather. Unusually even the higher trails are snow free this year.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Another article about Cumberland. Seriously awsome village.

Cumberland, B.C. - Local?s Guide | Teton Gravity Research

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    After a rainy first 1/2 of February we are now having great weather. Unusually even the higher trails are snow free this year.
    Is that forbidden plateau? I've only ridden it a few times but man I loved that spot we spent most of the time riding right in Cumberland on the main trails when I was visiting the ex all the time. I still remember eating it on after school special. Sigh. Such an easy trail and I washed the front out on the new bike. Actually I took a lot of spills there while I dialed in the suspension on the new bike.

Probably my favorite place to ride. I still prefer technical xc single track but that place changed my riding and got me hooked again on biking. Now I find myself doing a mixture of everything here in Nanaimo. Wood cutter and I have fond memories as well, that trail ate me up and spit me out once or twice on the easiest features I'd probably ridden a million times.

Now I want to go back and ride them again. Need to throw the bike in the back of the truck and head back up for a weekend here this summer.

Regards

Steve

I suffer from fat finger syndrome and a tiny keyboard on an iPhone. So I apologize for the typos and misspellings.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    If you are in Nanaimo then you can even come for the day. Yup, that photo is over at Forbidden Plateau, only 9km from where I sit. Some new trails have appeared lately in Cumberland and you need do check em out. A word of advice for visitors, stay away from the Brewary so I can find a seat after a ride. I'm a sad man when it's full and I can't get my Stout😢. Trails are in great shape right now!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yeah, I am going to have to make a trip up there and check it out. Haven't tried out the brewery yet, I am up in the area every now and then just never bring the bike, usually the dive gear to go out diving.

Will have to make a weekend trip up and do some of the trails, I quite miss them. Nanaimo is great, but I liked the trails up there more. I also here their is a map being done up for the phones as well, very similar to the Hornby Island ones yo can get for your iPhones. Would make it really nice for figuring out the trails for new people to the area.

Thanks

Steve

mtbr member
    Which tires work for the Cumberland trails?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by MustG0Faster View Post
    Which tires work for the Cumberland trails?
    Right now I have a High Roller rear and Hans Dampf front. DHR/F are popular, and I love the Chunky Monkey. My buddy likes his Ardent rear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Cumberland

That seems to be what people are using here in Nanaimo as well. Although I changed out my hr2's for some Goma geox tires as I was tired of the high roller washing out up front if I didn't lean that sucker way over.

Those are proving to be a decent all around tire. I'm much impressed with them from downhill to xc trails to chunk. Seems to do it all.

Regards

Steve

I suffer from fat finger syndrome and a tiny keyboard on an iPhone. So I apologize for the typos and misspellings.
    Last edited by Aaen; 06-11-2015 at 08:27 AM.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    A sad update. It has been so hot and dry this year that the logging companies have closed off access to their land which effectively closed 98% of our trails. Chech the UROC Facebook site for updates.

https://www.facebook.com/UnitedRidersofCumberland

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    That is sad! Will no doubt hurt the local economy. Luckily the BCBR got off. I hear the whole island is really really dry right now.

If this continues, I suspect BC will issue a backcountry travel ban as they did in 2003.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Damn! I haven't seen any signs posted here in Nanaimo about that. Hope it doesn't happen here.

Regards

Steve

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Cumberland

Well the Doumont area up from the wastelands Moto x now has signs posted all over the road saying keep out extreme Forrest fire hazard, island west timbers. Haven't seen anything posted on their site that it is off limits but I'll adhere to their signs and stay off the property. Looks like the area to the south of the moto x tracks is still open for business though. No signs posted there.

Regards

Steve

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Did a bit further digging into this for the Nanaimo area and all trails in the area are closed now as well since the weekend apparently. The only trails I am aware of that are open are the Westwood lake area as the land not owned by the logging companies.

The fine for being on the trials/land is $175.00 a pop.

Regards

Steve

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have heard good things about Westwood, is it true?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Depends on what type of trails you want. If you want more like what you are use to with Forbidden and Cumberland then it is not even remotely close. There are some decent trails though, but they are on the lower section of Benson which is logging company operated, and off limits currently thanks to our weather.

The sections immediately around Westwood lake are good just more xc/light am oriented, although I see a few areas where people have been building offshoots which I haven't explored off of the K2 trail. I much prefer the Domount area as I have been doing a lot more am/downhill riding and it is an area I haven't spent a lot of time riding in so it is all new to me again.

However, when I do ride Westwood, I typically take K2, mothers, Chihuahua, then circle around the lake and take legalize it to the main parking area of Westwood lake. Maybe 50-65 min round trip and just shy of 10km, sometimes I will do it twice, but I typically just bail after this as I quite dislike riding K2. Although you can ride up Binx which has some old trail features that are not really operable/safe from looking at them. If you do go this route you can circle around behind the ridges you see from Westwood lake and g come out over by the shooting range and duck back in and link up with southern lake (drawing a blank on the name). Lots of options there, but with the fire bans going on and the roads being closed off, I am going to try to avoid it like the plague as everyone will be riding in there and the trails will be swamped and busy with hikers, and bikers.

Look up Nanaimo Mountain bike trails and find Phils site. He has pdf maps of I'd say 90% of the trails in the area are on it. he does a fantastic job an dI typically just print one off and throw it in the pocket to have with me.

Regards

Steve

Last edited by Aaen; 07-09-2015 at 05:11 AM.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    The trails are open again after the weekend's rain. I'm going riding this afternoon. Hint, not road riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Oh your dirty SOB. haha. Ours are still closed down here in Nanaimo, well until after the weekend according to the last update I got. I may have to take a hour roadie up this week and hit up forbidden plateau and Cumberland for the day, stop in and get me a cool beverage at the Waverly, then grab an apple fritter and a Mexicano coffee on the way out of town.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Check the Cumberland Brewing Company for you rehydration. They even have a bike wash station.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    How is Forbidden Plateau and Cumberland these days? I was there last July 2011. Any big new developments? It was a lot of fun, it seemed like some of the potential was just starting to get tapped into in some spots while in others there was a lot of good stuff happening. I remember some brushy stuff on the lower end of Forbidden Plateau near a series of wooden kickers before bear bait trail, kickers still good? There was one trail that had just been demolished by logging out in Cumberland and I remember an effort to preserve some of the forest around 2013, but Cumberland was a blast too. I had a Norco Range at the time and it was a blast, though I sometimes wish I had a bigger bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've heard great things about this brewery. I'll have to check it out when I go up.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Check the Cumberland Brewing Company for you rehydration. They even have a bike wash station.

Regards

Steve

Anytime. Anywhere.
    We have snow this Winter but it's not all bad mountain bike news, the land access agreement is in effect with the logging companies. More signs will be going up and the trails are now on the Trail Forks app. This will make visiting here even more fun.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    TB, when does the season typically take off in Cumberland? Are trails dry enough in mid April?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    April can still be wet but definitely rideable.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Thanks for the chart. April looks reasonable. Road trip to the Island could be a great season opener. Cowichan, Cumberland, Hornby and Campbell River!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    We are going to Hammerfest near Nanaimo tomorrow to ride a trail called Jughead. Kind of a XC-DH trail that most can enjoy, highly recommended. Double D in Duncan is the crack cocaine of mountain bike trails. Lots of other great trails in these areas.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Just finished an amazing ride. Conditions are perfect right now and the weekend looks great. If you are thinking of visiting Dodge City the time is now.

Anytime. Anywhere.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    A good article about Cumberland and Mt Washington.

Riding high on Vancouver Island - Cowichan Valley Citizen

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Hey Travis Bickle
    I was just there with friends and had a great time! That was on June 25 - 29th.
    Sampled some the trails and just started to figure out the ones I like more and then I had to go back home!
    Loved it and looking forward to go back!
    Here is a shot from the campsite sunset!
    And the weather turned out great the short time I was there.

Cumberland-dsc_0033-1-.jpg
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

Anytime. Anywhere.
    There is now a Cumberland Trail App available. I haven't downloaded it but if you're unfamiliar it can save a lot of wrong turns.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/trai...114434475?mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...AND.cumberland

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    hey great they have an app now! I know some local victoria peeps who got lost riding up there. But the app should make life easier. Hope to get up to Cumberland in a week or three. Need some new scenery to ride in

Anytime. Anywhere.
    It can be confusing, but there are more signs, a new map, and the mapapp.