Thread: Cumberland

mtbr member

Cumberland

Hey there! New to mountain biking and to living on the west coast!

I am living in Victoria and looking into a 3 or 4 day mountain bike trip up to Cumberland and staying at the Riding Fool Hostel. Any tips I should know? Good pubs?

Looking for AM riding and my buddy is pretty hardcore DH. Any trail suggestions? I have heard of Forbidden Plateau.. but need some info!

Thanks!

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    These guys may be of some help: http://www.unitedridersofcumberland.com/

mtbr member
    Like you, I live in Victoria, but I grew-up in the Comox Valley. I still ride there as often as I can. I am primarily an AM rider. There are great maps of Cumberland and Forbidden.

http://www.cvmtb.com/index.php/trail...and-trail-map/
    http://www.cvmtb.com/index.php/trail...eau-trail-map/

You can also get the paper versions in the local bike shops.

Forbidden: I really like riding up Boston Main, and coming down Rudy’s then crossing the road to do Tomato Creek. If you don’t feel like climbing, you can shuttle Forbidden Plateau from the parking lot of the defunct ski resort.

Cumberland: You can’t shuttle Cumberland, but the trails are worth the effort. I really like Grub – Stub – Pity the Fool, also Cupcake – Bakers Dozen – DCDH is great too. I enjoyed Thirsty Beaver – 42 Street – Off Broadway – Hai Gai last time I was up. I

Actual locals will know way me than me, but that’s my 2˘.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Read this - http://www.pinkbike.com/news/comox-v...trip-2010.html

and definitely support the local businesses profiled there

mtbr member
    There is a wack of logging going on in the hills behind Cumberland at the moment....Some of the classier newer trails are affected. The front page of CVMTB.com has a map of affected areas. Some of the higher stuff off Fobidden is still under mucho snow, but Lower Cabin Fever down is good. I'd look into getting Martin from IMR to guide for a day on Forbidden. There are heaps of people heading out for rides in Cumberland all the time, so plenty of opportunities to bribe locals with beers for a guided tour of the local system. Forbidden is cherry right now. There are some very good new un mapped trails. Split the cost of a Pro guide for a morning or afternoon around Forbidden...it will be well worth it. The Waverly is the place to go, good burgers and pub grub. The King George has the freshest pickled eggs in town... The Cumberland Hotel is nice and there is Sushi next door. If you stay at the Hostel, and you're single, insist on the Co-Ed dorm room If you have any questions on the area feel free to ask....

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! Really appreciate it!

All booked up and leaving tomorrow morning, staying at the Co-Ed dorm

mtbr member
    So, how was Cumberland? Any new trail recommendations?

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_monty View Post
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! Really appreciate it!

All booked up and leaving tomorrow morning, staying at the Co-Ed dorm
    How was the riding?
    And how the the co-ed dorm?