mtbr member

Cross-country trails in Panorama

Just back from a holiday at Panorama and thought I should provide a report given that there was very little info available on the forums here.

First day of riding, I decided to give the new Mad Trapper a go. I suppose I never did find the entire loop as it appears that it cuts across the bottom of the downhill runs. Anyway, I rode the part that goes east of the bike park and there was some fun singletrack with good switchbacks. Trail is still a little "young" but not bad. There are sections of it that are connected by road sections (unless I missed something. The section I rode ended up only being about 3 km long. Did a couple loops on here but was still looking for more.

From there, I decided to go exploring to another trail that they have listed on the map available through the rental shop and on their website. This trail was titled Delphine. Please don't waste any time or energy getting to or on this trail. From what I could tell, it is essentially a road (4x4 track) with sections of xc ski trail that go off and rejoin. Unfortunately, these parts are obviously not ridden at all and they are grown in with vegetation and there are more than a few logs down. To top it all off, while not having a particularly enjoyable time, I was pedaling along when all of a sudden, the cranks stop turning rather abruptly. I quickly stop cranking, look down and see a great big stick wedged in my rear derailleur/wheel spokes. Arrrgh. Get off the bike, have a quick look to assess the damage and the derailleur is sticking out sideways at about a 45 degree angle. It's not the hanger; it's all bent right where the derailleur meets the hanger. I try to softly bend it back into position so that I can ride out and actually manage to get it relatively vertical. On my way back to the village but it's shifting back and forth across cogs so I keep playing with different cogs and turning the barrel adjuster and eventually, it just let go. Oh well, this is where I start walking I guess.

After getting back to the village, I cruise into town to see what a new derailleur is going to cost me. Took a bit of a hit in the wallet but really wanted to get the bike going as my wife and I had a plan to do another ride in the next day or two. Despite the hit, the service at the shop was top notch so I'd like to thank the guys at Columbia Cycle and Motorsports in town. They did the repair on site and chatted about other trails while doing so. Talked about the other trail that we wanted to do which was the Johnson Trail that is across from Lake Lillian about a third of the way up the hill to Panorama.

Final report - The Johnson
    http://www.columbiavalleycyclingsoci...johnsonmap.pdf
    What a great trail. Easy to find, great little rolling trail with some great views of the Toby Creek, and some great riding along the edge of the cliff going down to the creek. Total length with the loop out at the view point was about 10.4 km. The extra loop is stated to be about 2 km but my GPS showed more like 1.5. I'll post a pic of the remaining stats but essentially only a few short climbs but it is a great rolling trail with some good little technical spots to test you. A few spots where there are options to do easy/difficult and one climb in a difficult option that I suspect is only for the most fit and technically able bodies (I failed on this one ). Very nice ride at a leisurely pace with my wife.

Anyway, hope this information is helpful for others who might be vacationing there or traveling through the area and looking for a quick ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cross-country trails in Panorama-picture-5.png  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I found Panorama to be awesome, whether your a cross country or DH fan, it's got it all. Video report coming soon.