TrinityRiverKerplunk

Creston/Cranbrook/Fernie riding conditions

Anyone here out in eastern BC that can give me an idea what the trail conditions are like for any of these areas?

We'll be headed out there next week, and I would like to do some old-school XC stuff if possible. I'm really interested in Fernie, will the snow be gone enough on some trails that I could get a ride in? I know the ski season ends April 15, so I am cutting it close...

Thanks in advance!
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am sure you can find some low trails that won't be flooded....maybe....

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Thanks for replying. Pans changed at the last minute, so hence the question. Was originally going to hit La Grande again, instead we're driving out the Crows Nest on Thursday night, so hopefully I will get a ride in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    probably won't help much, but i was snowshoeing at the syncline trails near pincher creek last week, and there is plenty of snow. coming back through sparwood, fernie looked like it would be snow/mush.

cranbrook looked dry when driving through though...the community forest i bet has stuff open

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    I was looking through the various BC webcams around Cranbrook and Fernie this morning, and it looks like some areas are snow free, but wet. I can deal with that since I live in western Washington.

We are taking all our cold weather gear just in case. I think if the sun peaks out then we'll be doing alright. I'll let you guys know what its like when we get back!

mtbr member
    Fernie's trails aren't ready yet, still lots of snow. I've been riding Wigwam flats in Elko, they are good to go as are Eager Hills in Cranbrook. I'd be guessing that the Elk Dorr loop (south of the hwy 93 turnoff, towards Grasmere) is probably good. We do have rain forcast for this weekend though.
    Check with local bike shops for conditions.

TrinityRiverKerplunk

ride report

Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    Fernie's trails aren't ready yet, still lots of snow. I've been riding Wigwam flats in Elko, they are good to go as are Eager Hills in Cranbrook. I'd be guessing that the Elk Dorr loop (south of the hwy 93 turnoff, towards Grasmere) is probably good. We do have rain forcast for this weekend though.
    Check with local bike shops for conditions.
    Thank you for the excellent reply. Missed it though until now because we left for Creston right before I got to check my email. After staying overnight in Trail on Friday, we got up in the morning and did a small road ride.

Driving from Trail to Creston gave me a good impression of the snow level; and then one ride in Creston Monday afternoon I could only go as high as 3000 feet before hittinng large drifts up to 18 inches. The climbing behind my friends place north of Crston was perfect until the damn snow banks! Can't ride down the drifts 'cuz they are to sloppy now, went OTB about half a dozen times before giving up.

Otherwise I sure love the country out there. Will be back later this spring at the end of May or maybe even September.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    you should have mentioned you'd be going through Trail...there is an excellent xc ride that was partially cut over an existing line last year right near the hospital (KCTS opens new Bluffs Trail trail in Trail | The Rossland Telegraph). it's been open for a few weeks and is a good quick little rip...anyways, for next time

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Quote Originally Posted by xcolin View Post
    you should have mentioned you'd be going through Trail...there is an excellent xc ride that was partially cut over an existing line last year right near the hospital (KCTS opens new Bluffs Trail trail in Trail | The Rossland Telegraph). it's been open for a few weeks and is a good quick little rip...anyways, for next time
    Thanks for the information. We waited until the last few days on a route choice of Crows Nest vs. Interstate 90, then once weather was good enough we opted at the last minute for Highway 3 since the week before the snow tires were pulled just previously. Was totally worth the drive. And Trail was a last minute decision en-route, I like it there.

Here's a pic I took of the smelter during our road jaunt around town. Sure like the Trail/Warfield/Rossland combination.

Had I thought of it earlier I would've asked! Thanks again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Creston/Cranbrook/Fernie riding conditions-trailsmelter.jpg