Don't worry, be happy!

Cranbrook Community Forest, worth a stop?

Looking for a good midway point to camp and ride on our road trip.

thanks formica

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Bettter to stop in Invermere and ride the Johson and Kloosifier combo. Real purpose built cross country trails.

Don't worry, be happy!
    k - thanks I will see if I can find links ( trail & camping)

mtbr member
    May 2012
    where are you coming from going to? Fernie is only an hour away from Cranbrook and has epic mountain biking. I personally prefer riding Kimberley or Cranbrook to Invermere, but I have only been on Johnson's. So I know there is A LOT I have not seen. I wouldn't do more than one ride in Cranbrook in the forest, but there is also Fraglerock and Chewbacca Rocks near the SPCA, so you could do a couple rides. Community forrest is flowy and has some decent climbing, the rock trails have a couple challenging rocky sections the rest is buff. Kimberley has some nice trails up at the ski hill on the xc ski trails, and a couple purpose built trails.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Cleopatra, you know me as Geargrrl on SkiDiva.

We'll be heading up from Spokane to Revelstoke and I'm not sure of the route yet. I do know that Fernie is the wrong direction for this trip which include Revelstoke, New Denver and some Rossland riding. Hmm, now that I look at the map... any thoughts on Nakusp area a midway point? If we need to minimize driving time perhaps going up through Golden isn't the smart way to go...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Good to see you Geargrrl!

Hmmm, yes Golden is out of the way for sure. Rossland is awesome, how long will you have there? How long is your trip? Nelson is epic too, but the technical level increases drastically (I have never been as it is above my pay grade). I would plan stopping in Rossland, Nelson (even if you don't ride), Ainsworth hot springs, New Denver & Revy. Plenty to do and see, no need to increase driving when so many awesome trails just there. Save the East Kootenays (Golden, Invermere, Cran, Fernie) for another trip.

If you really want to add on just over an hour and try somewhere else on the way home, consider coming back through the Okanagan, if you don't know the area, it is all orchards and wineries. Silver star is an amazing lift access riding resort, near Vernon, if that is your thing.

I have visited Rossland a couple times for riding. Let me know if you want some trail advice. And my tips for Revy, don't bother doing the alpine trails if it is socked in and rainy, IMHO the trails are not worth it without the views. Mt McPherson is some of my favourite riding anywhere. Make sure you check out the taco truck in town for lunch and the Mt. Begbie brewery.

Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    Cleopatra, you know me as Geargrrl on SkiDiva.

We'll be heading up from Spokane to Revelstoke and I'm not sure of the route yet. I do know that Fernie is the wrong direction for this trip which include Revelstoke, New Denver and some Rossland riding. Hmm, now that I look at the map... any thoughts on Nakusp area a midway point? If we need to minimize driving time perhaps going up through Golden isn't the smart way to go...

Don't worry, be happy!
    lol Nelson.... that would be the "bike being thrown down the trail at husband" incident.

I ride Rossland lots, so I'm good there. I vacation a lot up in BC, ski a lot so I have a pretty good idea but have never ventured farther than Rossland or Nelson for riding.
    I have friends with houses in Rossland and New Denver. (nice friends!!)
    This is venturing a little farther North. Anyway, keep all the tips coming!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    In that case I guess it really does depend on how far you want to drive and how long you have. You can do better than Cranbrook for sure, there is great camping all along the 93, checkout provincial rec sites in the area, none are really close to riding that I am aware of though. Kimberley is a delightful little European styles town with a main Plazl, the riding can be done from town. Invermere is lovely too, and there is camping on the lake. Also check out Nipika resort, you would camp in Radium, but visit Nipikahttp://www.nipika.com/.

Golden has amazing riding. You can easily spend a few days there. Town is nothing special, I don't know about the camping there, but assume considering the location it would be great.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    N, there is awesome riding in New Denver. Nothing too techy steep as in Nelson, so your husband would be safe from flying bikes. Locals usually available to dispense trail info, shuttle or share a ride. Check here for trail info: Tails from the trails: riding New Denver | bikepirate

Don't worry, be happy!
    OK, the flying bike thing. I was really pissed off because I was in waaay over my head, it had rained the night before, we didn't know that everyone up there shuttled so we rode 11 miles of fireroad up to the trailhead.... and I had planned the trip so I couldn't yell at him about it. I didn't really throw it at him since he was way down the trail, but I definitely tossed it down the trail.

New Denver is on the list.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    new Denver is fun, check out wilds cyclery for trail beta. small little kids pink bike on a fence, opposite side of the vahalla inn, just down the road.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    re: Kimberley, it has some fun stuff at the ski hill and the nature park. There is a cool trail called magic line on the hill. Do the loop once, do the start again, then cut off onto sidecut, then down into the nature park where there is a lot of fun singletrack. Magic line is one of those purpose-built trails which little jumps, etc you can take at your own speed. I bought a $5 trail map and had a fun time, really good xc.

But yeah West Kootenays over East Kootenays if you had a choice.