mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Cougar in Buffalo Pound?

I reckon she was late 30's, black leather miniskirt, drinking a vodka cooler...But seriously, last weekend I was out riding in Buffalo Pound and came across a mangled deer on the trail - looked like something attacked it pretty good. Also a number of paw prints in the mud. Kind of spooked me - especially as I was biking alone and it was early and I was the only one around. I'm relatively new to the area, so not all that familiar with the wildlife. Are there cougars in the area? Wolves? Any reason for concern?

mtbr member
    I think I may have spotted the same cougar on Broadway in S'toon this weekend... but yes there will be the odd cougar in the area but they tend to shy away from people so I wouldn't worry too much ... no wolves though. You're probably more likely to get hurt by a gopher hole though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've seen LARGE coyotes (60+lbs?) out at BP. Perhaps one of them could take out a dear? What trail where you on when you came across the carcase? I'm not too concerned about wildlife in south Sask, much more likely to break ones neck on a drop on Roots than to get attacked by a wild animal.

On a side note, I haven't had a chance to ride out there yet this year. This weekend is a race weekend so hopefully next.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Cougars everywhere...

Could have been one of the prairie ticks they're monsterous this year. Riding solo early hours I would carry some bear spray or some noise device till summer hits and the parks are busy.( I do it for early am and night rides solo) You would hate to wipe and be ravaged by the prairie gopher.. seroiusly there are cougars all over the province not only 2 legged but 4 we get them occasionally in the outskirts of Saskatoon. There is nothing worse than have the @#$@# scared out of you by something running along side you on the trail

roots, rocks, rhythm
    To bad you didn't get a picture of either the 2 or 4 legged cougar.
    Would have added to the story.
    (Don't know which one would have been more dangerous...... )

On the serious note: like others have said cougars are all over the Alberta.
    I ususally saw them or signs of them closer to the Foothills or in the Rookies

Members who have read this thread: 0