Thread: Coming to BC

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Vacationing in Squamish... need advice!

Hey northern friends.... A buddy and I officially booked our tickets to Vancouver and I couldn't be more excited. We were planning on staying in Vancouver a few days then head up to Squamish for some riding and climbing. I wanted to see if any locals could recommend some trails and bike shops to rent from and if by some small chance someone could recommend a rock climbing/bouldering guide person that would rock. We are planning on riding 3 or 4 days and climbing 2. It would be awesome to meet some of you locals as well.

Your input is greatly appreciated! Woo hoo I can't wait
    Last edited by cycletard; 04-07-2012 at 10:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I don't ride down in Squamish so I don't know the trails or the shops. I do climb in Squamish so I can hook you up with a guide. His name is Josh Lavigne and alpinesummits.blogspot.com is his blog. It has his contact info. I'm sure he will point you in a safe direction if he's not in BC.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Go to Republic Bicycles in Brackendale (just outside of Squamish). Talk to Armand, he's really friendly and can point you in a good direction.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks this information will absolutely help our planning. Ill get in touch with both people that you two speak of.

So I have been looking at a few trails and wanted to know what you guys thought: half nelson, Diamond Head and Garibaldi Highlands areas

Can anyone confirm that these are fun trail systems?

ups and downs
    Squamish is full of great trails, these are around Garibaldi Highlands and Alice Lake

Squamish XC Files - Half Nelson - YouTube

Squamish XC Files - Pseudo Tsuga - YouTube

Squamish XC Files - Lower Power Smart - YouTube

Squamish XC Files - Rob's Corners - YouTube

Squamish XC Files - Brackentrail.wmv - YouTube

Squamish XC Files - Dead End Loop.wmv - YouTube

Squamish XC Files - Roller Coaster

Squamish XC Files - Cliff's Corners - YouTube

The local shops like Tantalus also have trail maps available and a voluntary but highly recommended $15 SORCA trail pass to help pay for trail upkeep.
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 04-22-2012 at 09:10 PM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hello everyone... Its getting closer to my trip and I am trying to prep for it and I was wondering what type of weather I should expect, condition of the trails, should I bring rain gear, where are the good places to get beers? We will also be making a stop in vancouver and i am wondering if you guy's can recommend anywhere to go out for a few drinks, sight seeing items, and some good trails?

On the note of rentals we haven't really found anywhere that have quality bike rentals in vancouver and squamish.... have we missed them?

ups and downs
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Also check Different Bikes for rentals. The North Vancouver shop is within riding distance from the Seymour trails.