Bike Snob

Collective Knowledge

All right Canada, I would like to dip my toe in your collective pool of knowledge. I am headed to Vancouver BC for 5 days in the middle of October. My wife has some sort of conference there and I will have 7 to 8 hrs a day to fill.

I have read all your trip planning sticky posts and I have a lot of ideas but still a few specific questions.

What kind of weather can I expect?
    I am from So Utah so I have to use spell check for R A I N.

If I bring my own sled where can a SS rigid guy get his groove on?
    Not wild about renting, gears and suspension are just so cumbersome.

Where should I eat?
    Recomendo's for post ride and evenings with my bride appreciated.

Thanks in advance. --CGR

ups and downs
    It could be doing just about anything, sunny and cool-ish like 10-12C for a high, or raining heavily or lightly, or it could even have a trace of snow further up the mountain. Sept/Oct are usually quite nice, but trying to guess what any few days might be like is beyond a crap shoot.

I can climb 90% of the hills in 32:32 or taller gears, there's another 10% that are definitely granny gear climbs, the problem is that they can often be on the same loop of trails, or on the same trail. The trick here is that you often need to be able to stay seated to keep the traction balance while climbing (especially if the exposed roots and rocks are wet), if you stand to grunt up some of these hills you'll just spin out on the roots. Bring your biggest, grippiest Nevegal 2.35 Stick-E rubber or Mountain King 2.4 Black Chili rubber tires.

There are people that ride SS around here but I'd bet they'd be running 32:24 gearing if they are doing trails with lots of climbing. Riding rigid seems like a particularly masochistic thing to do to yourself here, there's a lot of root carpets.

If you're riding 32:18 or 32:20, you could likely do most of the Richard Juryn and Circuit 8 trails without walking. If it has been wet, those can be very muddy in places. The Hyannis, Bottle Top/Ridge Runner and Bridal Path trails across the lower slopes of Mt.Seymour should be doable for the most part.

If you were set on riding rigid SS, I'd get a rental car and drive an hour north to Squamish, there's a lots of SS-able XC riding in Squamish. The Alice Lake area, White Rabbit, Wonderland and the trails on the west side of Hwy 99 would be great SS trails.

For food, there's every type of Asian cuisine here in abundance, plus most any other kind of food style and type. The entire Lower Mainland is like a giant food court.

The long term forecast through Oct/Nov is showing lower than normal precipitation and higher than normal temps

Seasonal Forecast - Environment Canada

Seasonal Forecast - Environment Canada
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Collective Knowledge-2012_0327new0002.jpg  

Collective Knowledge-2012_0405new0006-001.jpg  

Collective Knowledge-2011_0514new0104.jpg  

Last edited by rockyuphill; 08-27-2012 at 03:59 PM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    SS rigid So UTah guy? In mid October? You will die
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Bike Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    SS rigid So UTah guy? In mid October? You will die
    Death by what? Cold, wet, mud, roots, steeps, which particular thing will be my demise?

Good stuff from you Rocky, I am not dead set on bringing my own bike, in a lot of ways it's easier to just rent.
    Which shop has decent rental bikes?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right View Post
    Death by what? Cold, wet, mud, roots, steeps, which particular thing will be my demise?

Good stuff from you Rocky, I am not dead set on bringing my own bike, in a lot of ways it's easier to just rent.
    Boredom from walking your bike down everything.

ups and downs

Endless Biking does rentals of shore worthy bikes.Different Bikes in North Vancouver also rents, they are near the base of Mt.Seymour so close to the action.

People do ride the North Shore on old school hardtails, but it's really rare to see anyone tackle modern trails on a rigid bike these days. There are exceptions during North Shore races

CBC Ripper 2007 - NSMB Photo Gallery

North Shore Bike Fest 2011 - Prologue | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by rockyuphill; 08-27-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Bike Snob
    Boredom from walking your bike down everything.
    You doubt my skills young Jedi? I'll tell you what kinda freaks me out is the wet roots. Give me the chunky, dry, predictable rock and I am much happier.

Maybe some store bought courage (suspension) is the way to go.

Bike Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post

People do ride the North Shore on old school hardtails, but it's really rare to see anyone tackle modern trails on a rigid bike these days. There are exceptions during North Shore races
    You know that saying these kind of things is like throwing down the gauntlet, it's a Pavlovian response that makes me want to show you it can be done.

Typical trail around here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Collective Knowledge-westy.jpg  

Last edited by can't get right; 08-27-2012 at 08:54 PM.

ups and downs
    If it's wet, the mud here is like black oatmeal, mostly vegetable matter, the mud isn't slick and greasy there's virtually no clay in it, but the roots and rocks to tend to be greasy when its freshly wet, the trails tend to be loamy and absorb it quickly.

But there are places where it is just roots and roots and roots. The reason suspension is so popular here is that you can only brake and steer when the tires touch something, you could be a pinball on some trails with a rigid fork (unless you're riding a Pugsly - then you could be a basketball on a staircase)

If you're here 5-6 days, I'd plan at least 2 day trips to Squamish (1 hour drive each way) and maybe even one day in Whistler riding the Valley trails (about 1.75 hour drive each way). There's not a lot of actual XC trails in any conventional sense in the Vancouver area, a lot of freeride and DH trails yes.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I'm just being a smart-ass. I've ridden in South Utah (Ste George and Hurricane area). Rigid single speed makes sense on say the JEM but not so much here in mid October. Listen to Rocky

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You know that saying these kind of things is like throwing down the gauntlet, it's a Pavlovian response that makes me want to show you it can be done.

Typical trail around here.
    Looks like a golf course....or perhaps the Olympic track????

I like bikes
    As a guy who grew up riding So Cal and AZ (Now living in Canada for 10yrs), what Canadians consider rideable/a good ride day, is wholly different from most other countries!!! Just armour up and you'll probably live. Lol.

ups and downs
    In the temperate rainforest if you only rode when the trails were dry, you'd only get about 40 riding days a year. But then that's also why ladder bridges were invented for bike trails here. The trails are developed to tolerate wet riding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Collective Knowledge-2011_0514new0047.jpg  

Collective Knowledge-2011_0514new0049.jpg  

Collective Knowledge-2011_0622new0007.jpg  

Collective Knowledge-2011_0622new0003.jpg  

Bike Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    In the temperate rainforest if you only rode when the trails were dry, you'd only get about 40 riding days a year. But then that's also why ladder bridges were invented for bike trails here. The trails are developed to tolerate wet riding.
    Your pictures help a lot. I am looking forward to something different.

ups and downs
    These are all from Richard Juryn/Serra's Trail and Circuit 8. A challenge in the wet and load of fun in the dry.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    CGR - you've got a good sense of humour and if I'm around in mid October drop a message in advance and I'll show you some trails that won't kill you and you'll enjoy. Perhaps we'll have the elusive Rockyuphill show up too.

Bike Snob
    CGR - you've got a good sense of humour and if I'm around in mid October drop a message in advance and I'll show you some trails that won't kill you and you'll enjoy. Perhaps we'll have the elusive Rockyuphill show up too.
    I might take you up on that, thanks.