Thread: Canmore

mtbr member

Canmore

Hello! I am going to be staying in Canmore for one week starting tomorrow. I am going to bring my MTB (full rigid steel WaltWorks 29er). I hope to do a lot of riding. I am a cross country rider and enjoy technical trails but not "North Shore" style stuff with huge drops and skinny log bridges up in the trees, etc. I would appreciate any advice from locals or other folks who are familiar with Canmore, as I have never been there. I read in another post that a few local trails have been closed, and even that a rider got attacked by a bear, and am curious about the current situation as far as mountain biking. I'll have a car so I can drive to trailheads if necessary.

1. What are your favorite rides in and around Canmore?

2. Are there regular MTB group rides that would welcome a tourist like me?

3. What is the best bike shop?

4. Favorite places to eat?

5. Fun non-biking stuff to do with the whole family?

Any tips appreciated, and I'd love to meet up for a ride if you are in town the coming week (Aug 20-26).

Thanks,

David
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA

rjp
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    As to trails, you could do:

- Goat Creek / Rundle loop: Goat Creek from Canmore to Banff; Rundle back
    - Rundle out and back (to the Banff golf course and back)
    - Any number of other trails starting at the Nordic Center - they should have maps
    - Lake Minnewanka: technically this is in Banff but close enough (trail is open)

mtbr member
    Right in canmore there is some good riding. On the north side of town there are some good trails called the benchlands.There is the canmore nordic center. I never been, but lots of xc stuff. There are couple of bike shops in town and I am sure they can help you out. Also there is some of the best riding in kananaskis country. such as prairie view/jewel pass, Baldy, jumping pound/cox hill etc. If you pick up the " Backcountry biking in the canadian rockies'' it has all of the rides with maps and stuff. I am hoping to get out for a good ride on saturday.
    It's go time

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the advice. I drove up to the Nordic Centre today to catch the end of the 24 hour race. Then I did a lap of the race course. It was pretty fun, with a good mix of easy fire roads and technical but definately rideable singletrack. Either I am more out of shape than I thought, or I am feeling the altitude. Conditions were very dry and dusty. So different from Wisconsin, which is hot, humid, often muddy, and has no mountains. After I digest lunch I am going to explore the Benchlands. I think it is going to be an awesome week of riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I've been maping the trails in South Canmore whenver i go out biking or running with GPS. I'd estimate that I've gotten at least 50% of the trails mapped (excluding Nordic Centre). Here is a map (missing lots) just to give some ideas of the trail system...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dyg2001
    Thanks for all the advice. I drove up to the Nordic Centre today to catch the end of the 24 hour race. Then I did a lap of the race course. It was pretty fun, with a good mix of easy fire roads and technical but definately rideable singletrack. Either I am more out of shape than I thought, or I am feeling the altitude. Conditions were very dry and dusty. So different from Wisconsin, which is hot, humid, often muddy, and has no mountains. After I digest lunch I am going to explore the Benchlands. I think it is going to be an awesome week of riding.
    I just got back from doing the 24 hours of Adrenalin in Canmore. The course was great fun, a good mix of climbs and fun descents. But the trail was really chewed up at the end compared to how it was when I did the pre-ride early Saturday morning.

A bunch of good riding is available just east of Canmore in Kananaskis Country. Like it was already suggested, get "Backcountry Biking in the Canadian Rockies" by Doug Eastcott. It'll get you started on a bunch of trails in the area.

Again, as suggested...the Lake Minnewanka ride is fun...it's even more fun if you ride it as fast as you can.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ned13b
    I've been maping the trails in South Canmore whenver i go out biking or running with GPS. [/IMG]
    Wow, that is really cool. How did you overlay your routes on the satellite photo? What GPS unit do you recommend for use on a MTB? In the future (or now, for the tech savvy) I bet riders will trade good trail recommendations in the form of GPS files from websites like this. Clubs could maintain web-based maps that would show not only all the good local trails but also other info like location of cool bike shops, bars & coffeehouses, where exactly bear attacks have occurred, what section of trail will be repaired on the next trail day, etc.

Members who have read this thread: 0