ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006

Canada Day riding in Edmonton...

I don't know what plans my fellow Edmontonians have planned for Canada day but I plan on squeezing in a little riding in the morning and as always it's a matter of deciding where and what to ride. It's also my first day of my summer vacation where I plan to do the three R's on a daily basis... those would be riding, renovating, and relaxing.

Perhaps I might have to head back to the forest at Riverdale (bug repellant is a must) and see about taking some decent pictures...since the area is well shaded it might also be a good place to hide out form the sun.

Who else is up for a little spin on oour nation's birthday ?
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

dreaming of bottlerockets
    I'll be riding hungover in Banff... sorry man!

Should be a good ride .
    if it ain't broke you ain't ridin' hard enough
    http://www.outdoorsclub.ca - I'm the webmaster and I help run trips!

Double-metric mtb man
    I may be out a bit then myself, 65'er...but not for long Helping a friend move up to Barrhead.

Oh, BTW...no more pink surveyors tape for me....I got me some bling for the bike in the form of a new stem cap, end plugs and screws (custom engraved and matching the bike's finish...hey, I gotta have a little customizing in there somewhere).

I think I may have to find a little armor, though, if I want to make more of those high speed runs in Riverdale, 65'er....other than the rash, I found out a couple days later that I took a good number of hits on our little ride....my forearms and shins were a wee bit balck, purple, brown and blue. Guess that means I had fun *hehehe*
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Mike - I still haven't got all the mud off the Trek from our last ride and the pedal rash is clearing up.

Perhaps we can hook up in the am at Millcreek pool and see who else shows up ? I'm thinking 9 am would be a good time to roll out as it will be a little cooler.

I think I mentioned that if you don't come home dirty and bleeding then you weren't going hard enough... I will at least try to remember the shin guards for Saturday as to not aggravate the pedal rash.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

Double-metric mtb man
    hehehe...yeah, the elbow is doing not half bad....I still think I should find some armor though...especially if I do end up running some sinlgetrack as part of the 16 bridges tour.

As for the mud....my downtube is still nicely "Caked" in it.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Mike - I just got all the mud off the Trek so that she looks pretty for Saturday morning... with all the heat I don't expect much in the way of mud and the singletrack should be in excellent condition if it doesn't rain.

With this current heat wave I've taken to riding later at night and figure I'll have to take the SGP down through Millcreek at around 9 pm.

Double-metric mtb man
    Hey Keith,

Yeah, all the stuff we rode is pretty dry....took the Cake down for a run tonight to try out the new armor...pretty eventful both in the riding and not.

I did quite well until the return run through the trees. I mananged to avoid that dip this time so no endo sandwich for me. I think it would be possible to hop that dip if it weren't in such a funky spot (off camber, downhill turn with trees, roots and depressions) rather than bounce again, I did what you were smart enough to do last time...binders and walk it.

Other than all the branch slaps (it is really getting grown in) I did manage to bite it once... You remember that one section in Riverdale towards the multi-use end where there are two options for going down one little gully...the around the tree and easy way, or the double root lipped little drop but either way you have to get around the end of a deadfall right after? Well, I tried to do the harder way... I cleared the drop, but had a funky bounce and caught the deadfall.

I definitely had fun (not a lot of blood, but I've got some scratches on my left cheek and will likely have a bruise over my left eyebrow over where my cycling shades run and just under the helmetline). I was a little roughed, but Naomi needed a little TLC when we got home too (killed the computer sensor, popped a couple zip ties and tore up my seat bag...but I did notice my rear rotor was loose while taking stock, so I guess it worked out for the best). Naomi had a splash 'n dash too...I got a vast majority of the mud off but there are some nooks and crannies I'll need to work on later.

To top it all off, while heading home, I noted a few teen losers smashing up the old white house at 93rd Ave in Millcreek. They were part of a bush party where a young lady had her forearm cut...don't know the details on the cut, but EMS looked after the girl and the police were involved for both (sheesh, how can you tell school's out, eh?).

Oh well, perhaps I'll see you Sat. morning. I can't go for long (helping friends move) but I want to get out some more. I'm going to see about the rotor bolts tomorrow (don't think I have them torqued right as it was a field fix and one may need to be replaced) and maybe do the critical mass ride / mocktails at the bridge Friday for a shakedown run.
    Last edited by Psycho Mike; 06-28-2006 at 11:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The ride at 9 is tempting, but I'll likely be going to the police bike auction. I need to find a 16" frame for the girlfriend. Anybody willing to make a trade for an 18" or 19" hardtail frame?

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Will there be a bike auction on a holiday ?

I took the boys out for a spin last night and we rode all the way to Riverdale via the south side... we didn't do anything extreme but were really geared up (literally) for some high speed runs through the MUTs. It was 9:30 when we left the house so hitting the forest wasn't a safe option cause I always like to see what's trying to take me out.

I opted to drop in the road set for the ride as the 11-28 range (with the 32) gives me the same high end gearing that my bike had when it ran a triple with a 42:14. I figured I had to be able to keep up with the guys without blowing a hip from having to pedal so fast.

We rolled back along the north side and had a pleasant break when we caught the Little Flower jam session at the Rossdale Community Hall (next to Telus field). They play every Wednesday night from 8-11 and last night's show was outdoors due to the heat.

It was simply awesome ! The players were in excellent form, the crowd was having a blast, and wouldn't you know it... I met a lady who is also right into biking and vintage Raleighs. She said quite a few of her friends were also riders of vintage Raleighs, including some gorgeous Superbes and they might show up next week.

So next week I'll be going back for more music, more good company, and there might be a a little vintage bike meet too.

The only downside... climbing out of the valley on the Superbe after the show. Although she's comfortable, plush, and decently fast on flat ground she really doesn't like long climbs.

I am good to go for Saturday so if there's no bike auction I'm thinking at least three of us will be able to hit the singletrack and go play in the forest where we can work on the "double root lipped little drop but either way you have to get around the end of a deadfall right after" section.

Shall we meet by the pool ?

Double-metric mtb man
    hehehe...nice little quote there

Hope you made it home alright....after all, thems was a lot of hills for that gearing on the Raleigh tonight

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Hey Mike - It was nice to have met up at the Hardcore and you were pretty accomodating in taking a road ride on your Cake since I had the SGP saddled up.

I was so impressed with the Cake's performance on the downhill sections that I had to do some math... your Cake is actually running 104 gear inches to my SGP's 100 at the top end of things. This is why I need to replace my 14 tooth cog with an 12 so I have 112 gear inches to play with for those long descents and an 11 would give me some insane top end (127 gear inches).

I found the gearing on the SGP to be pretty decent on all the climbs we made and the bike climbs better than anything I own despite having a pretty high bottom end. It's 2 pounds lighter than my Trek and runs on those wonderful 700c/28's which makes an immense difference in how she climbs and how much less energy one has to put in to cover serious distance.

When I parked the SGP I saw I had logged 70 km for the day and am feeling pretty fresh this morning... there's a little soreness high in my quads but that's just from still not having my road legs up to 100%.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow and have a post it note in the shop that says, "don't forget bug repellent and body armour".

Cheers!

Double-metric mtb man
    hehehe....I'm still waiting on word as to if I can make it tomorrow or if I'll be on my way to Barrhead at that time.

I'm glad you're feeling fresh after a 70 km day...I'm working on about 50 km in 24hrs, and with the Cake being my one and only ride, I am feeling it a little bit more in the quads thanks to those knobbies. At least the hum of the tires on the paths let you know when I was still relatively close...

With the tires I'm running, I'm probably a little closer to 106 gear inches fully maxed out....but then again, on a mountain bike, how often can you do that? You're quite right about the tires, though...those little 700x28's make a lot less resistance than my 26x2.1's.

Have fun zipping around town and hopefully I'll see you tomorrow.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Leave it to an engineer to correct my math... LOL

I rode the Critter all day and am finding that it really is the ideal urban machine... it's nearly as fast and energy efficient as riding the SGP, is extremely nimble and responsive, and has a really decent ride thanks to the wider and bouncier 1.75 tires and rather forgiving steel frame (who needs shocks?).

Riding some of the streets and paths in Edmonton is a far rougher ride than many of the multi use trails due to the potholes and poor condition of the road surfaces and on the SGP I have to be on hyper alert for road hazards that I'd just go through on any of the other bikes..

With this thought in mind, I am going to have to test the Critter on the aforementioned MUTs as I think the current setup should handle that pretty well. You don't often see road bikes on the unpaved trails but I am aiming to build the Critter so that it can handle pretty much anything except the singletrack.

With synthetic oil in the hub and no deraileurs it should even handle winter riding fairly well.

I'll be down by Millcreek pool at about 9 am and it looks like there might be a nice group heading out for a little Canada day riding.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006

Mike..you missed a good one.

I just crawled home after one seriously intense Canada Day ride with one of our local MTBR's (ribaldmanikin) and as usual, we started off at Millcreek pool, warmed up on the singletrack there (and I got the crashing thing out of the way) and then bombed down the south side of the river on the virtually blind trails.

After that we went down and around the Riverdale golf course at some frightening speeds (I love this MUT when it's quiet), and then doubled back to the Ewok Forest to deal with the "double root lipped little drop but either way you have to get around the end of a deadfall right after" section and everything else it has to offer.

Next time I'm just gonna swing right and simply jump that "double root lipped little drop but either way you have to get around the end of a deadfall" section (with some restraint) as too much entusiasm could result in a rather insane drop that the old bike and old guy riding her might not handle. On the other hand...can you say new wheels ?

From there we returned via the same route, partook in some cold beverages and talked about all the important things in life like bikes, dogs, kids, and women before heading up to the Leg where I met some of ribaldmanikin's friends (nice folks who were all going riding).

This is the first time I've come back from a ride and been totally bagged and despite a lack of bleeding or serious injuries, it was one of the best rides all year.

I'm have to take a nap and then will see how those pictures turned out...

Double-metric mtb man
    Dang,

Sounds like I missed some fun...and yeah, the rooty little drop needs restraint...a little too much enthusiasm on my part is probably why I bounced on landing and kissed the deadfall.

Oh well...

As it turns out, Barrhead didn't go as planned, so I got some riding in myself. I ended up heading out to see how to get to the Anthony Henday Bridges from my place. I eventually found my way there, but there is some absolutely nuts single track in the utility corridor from Heath Rd. to the bridges! Overgrown a la Riverdale, but steep as can be with enough little twists and turns to keep me from even thinking about it.

I ended up going of a tour of the western most 7 or 8 bridges and, with heading down to Walterdale Hill, capped the day off with the fireworks and a decent number of km under the wheels.

Happy Canada Day all!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yesterday was by far the most time I've spent on two wheels in a very long time.

After I left SixtyFiver at the legislative grounds I spent another 4 hours on the road bike. I have no idea about mileage for the day, but figure close to 7 hours of ride time for the day.

It was nice to split up the day with a morning mountain bike ride and an afternoon road bike ride. The beers at the end on my friend's deck overlooking millcreek ravine were the best I've ever tasted. Getting back on the bike for the short ride home was not exactly comfortable.

I finally rolled in at around 6 and proceeded to crash.

A fabulous day for riding. If I had the legs I'd do it again today.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Ribald - I figure that our ride yesterday was a good 30 km as it was a little longer than our Thursday night cruise, my trip to and from was another 24, and with another 12 last night my day's total was around 66 km.

I bet you must have put on 100 km plus if you logged 7 hours so the having no legs today is understandable.

After a good power snooze and some dinner I was feeling rejuvinated saddled up the Critter and the boys and I rode down the south side of the river through Emily Murphy park on the MUT to find a good spot to watch the fireworks.

The Critter handled the MUT pretty well although the hills were a little daunting what with all the pedestrians keeping me from maintaining any kind of climb rate so there was a little walking. I went and installed a dual cog set in the rear after we got home to double my available gears to 6 and if the 16/18 combo doesn't yield enough bottom end for those steep climbs, I have a 20 tooth cog I can swap in.

I figure today's riding will involve little more than a spin down to the "Cup", a little ride with my girls, and perhaps a late night ride down the MUT on the Critter to see how the new dual range gearing shakes out.

Those pictures turned out fairly well so I'll be posting those shortly.

Members who have read this thread: 0