Woodlot local

New question here. Calling Regina, Saskatchewan!

I need some help.

I am from the Vancouver area and ride every type of trail it has to offer. I ride drops, gaps, single track, ladders etc.

Now it looks like I might be spending 6 months in Regina, Saskatchewan. I plan on taking my bike for this 6 month stay in Regina so I have a couple questions.

1- What bike should I bring? I have a Santa Cruz Heckler and a Cove Stiffee I also have a Devinci Ollie built for DH but don't worry I'm not even considering taking this bike.

2. Are there any good spots to ride near the airport in Regina. Or near Regina at all.

I expect to be there starting in March and should leave in August.

I know it is flat in Saskatchewan but I will need to ride or I will go bonkers. So please anyone with any insight about riding in the Regina area, please post up some recommendations.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Double-metric mtb man
    If I can get a friend of mine onto the board (he's been a little busy and is on the road right now), he's a Regina native and rides a fair bit. He's be able to provide some guidance. I'll see if I can't get him on-line in the near future.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm not familiar with what a Stiffee is (beefy hardtail?) so I'm sure your Heckler would be fine, might be a bit of overkill for the riding we have, but I'm sure it will work fine.

As to the riding... forget about riding in town, there is nothing. We do a weekly fun/training race at a park in town on Wednesday nights. The trail is good for racing, but not interesting/challenging enough for fun riding, for any fun riding you have to drive. So on to the driving destinations...

1) Wascana Trails, 20 minutes NW of town, enough trails to form about a 12 km loop. Like almost all south Sask riding it's a valley, this is one of the smaller ones we ride. The trails are suprisingly fun, if short. Lots of singletracks, some fairly technical, linked by fast open trails. A good place to get in a quick ride.

2) Regina Beach, 35 minutes NW of town. Not a great place to ride, there is a race there in the spring that is fun. That's the only time I ride there.

3) Buffalo Pound, 50 minutes W of town. Fabulous riding location, I've never met anyone (including people who primarily ride in the Rockies) who didn't LOVE the riding there. Lots of trails, big (for sask) climbs, some very steep, some STEEP downhills, lots of tight technical singletrack, some drops on certain trails (up to 3 ft), some great flowy downhills that you wish could last all day. All in all a great place to ride!

4) Pasqua Lake (Ricks Trails), a hidden jem, you'll definately need a guide who knows the network here. Big loop, takes around 3 hours at a moderate pace, 2 at XC race pace. Amazing singletracks, lung and leg busting climbs, some drops, some VERY technical hillside riding, etc. An AMAZING place to ride. The only downside of it is that it's not very good until the fall season. In the spring it's too wet, some trails turn to streams as there are natural springs in the hills, summer it gets very bug infested and somewhat overgrown. Come August Rick works on cleaning up the trails a lot for an event he hosts September Long (DARN - Drink And Ride Night).

If you are looking for people to ride with check out some of the local clubs, you can find info on them at www.saskcycling.ca.

Hope this helps a bit, any more questions just fire away.

Woodlot local
    Kris,

I really appreciate the reply. It was exactly the type of info I was looking for.

Think I will be taking my Heckler with me and just put my lighter set of wheels and skinny 2.35" tires on it.

Thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 0