mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Calling all Vancouverites

So anyone on the west coast here? Moved to Vancouver earlier this year for a job and I have a quick question. Can anyone recomend a good bike shop? I have an 05 Kona Kik, I dropped by the cove but found them to be downhill snobs Dizzy's is really close by, anyone have good/bad experiences with them?

Thanks

D5

wpg then, van now
    Hey there,
    I moved here in April, and have been looking for a shop that is down to earth, and does good work. I've been in probably 20 shops in the area (i work on the road, so lunch hours are usually in a store). So far my best experience has been at West Point Cycles - 10th ave west of Alma... not sure if it matters to you if it's a Kona store or not.
    I want to check out John Henry in N Van, since they have a hugely popular bike club - but haven't had a chance yet...I do plan on joining their club for the 2007 season.

mtbr member
    Not too much of a fan of John Henry. Dizzy is good, though. I recently bought my SX Trail there. If you need a mechanic, head over there and talk to Lou. He knows his stuff. Good store. Highly recommended.

fear this
    I moved to Vancouver about 5 years ago and find that most of the shops in Coquitlam are way better to deal with than the ones in Vancouver or North Vancouver. I prefer going to AKA, The Bike Shop (Port Moody) for bikes, bike parts, and some gear. For gear only I'll look to MEC, Caps in Coquitlam, or Westwood Cycles on Westwood & Lougheed. If you go to AKA, you want to speak with Dave, the owner.
    Norco Fluid LT
    Devinci Ollie
    Commencal Meta HT AM chromoly

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    For North Van I'd go to OnTop, that being said I have only heard great things about both Dizzy and Steed. If WestPoint is close that is also a great option, although they can get busy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for taking the time to respond, I appreciate all the coments

Nice to hear that Dizzy's is a good shop since it's only a 5 min ride away from where I'm living

I was also thinking of checking out this guy who's advertising on Craiglist

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/bik/226592043.html

That way I could hopefully learn a thing or two about fixing my own bike.

Been enjoying the riding out in squamish, some kick ass mix of trails in these parts
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

More of the same.........

Just moved to upper Lonsdale........really! About block from On-Top. The move had nothing to do with them, but I have liked the helpful service from both On-top and Dizzy.

After Nov 4 or so will be looking for XC riders to hook up with........anybody interested?

wpg then, van now
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemanla
    After Nov 4 or so will be looking for XC riders to hook up with........anybody interested?
    PM me when you want to go for a rip, I just moved here this summer and am looking for guys to ride with.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Same here, would love to hook up with some X-C riders, seems like we are a minority around here.

mtbr member
    I've heard Dizzy and On Top are both really good..
    And I agree with you about Cove. I don't go there anymore.

fear this
    I agree with everything here, but I must say that the folks at Cove aren't bad. They have a great selection of bikes, components, and gear to choose from and everything is on sale right now. We just scored some sweet Roach rain jackets for riding this winter from Cove. I wouldn't recommend going there unless you know what you're looking at however... you can still get ripped.
    Norco Fluid LT
    Devinci Ollie

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    If any of you are in the South Surrey area, and interested in some mild XC riding (Delta Watershed, Stokes' Pit in Langley, or Urban Forest), I don't know the trails really well, but I've been dying to get my newly built Giant NRS dirty. I'll ride pretty much anywhere, as long as its not a long drive. North Shore and beyond gets a bit far for me though (for now).

mtbr member
    Where are the the good Xc trails?

I'm a Fromme blackdiamond hound, but I enjoy Xc from time to time.

I live out in Kits near UBC, there are actually some rather nice trails out there.
    Same with SFU out in Burnaby.

What about the Shore are there any good rides out there?

BP is flat, but still pretty gnarly for Xc standards.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack On Wheels
    If WestPoint is close that is also a great option, although they can get busy!
    When I lived on that side of town WestPoint was my LBS, don't forget they have 2 stores, the one on W10th and the one in Kerrisdale. I've used both.

They don't sell Kona if that is a concern of the thread starter.

mtbr member

It is pretty much all techincal XC........

Hi, I'm new this year to the area and have been looking for the XC trails too. Most XC here are quite techincal in comparison to the rest of the world. There trails on Fromme marked XC by nsmtb....take that for what its worth.

Here's a thread on the same subject:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...59683#poststop

One place that gets missed a lot is the Sunshinecoast.......hundreds of miles of techincal XC trail, some VERY, VERY extreme air and stunts! Check with Paul at Spin Cycle on the way through Gibsons for maps. Cool ferry ride through some of the most beautiful parts of the world too!

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Another good bike shop up there is On The Edge in Sechelt.
    http://www.ontheedgebiking.ca/

As far as I know Spin Cycles doesn't have a web site.

mtbr member
    For XC, go to Squamish. Tantalus Bikes is in the north part of town, by Canadian Tire.

On the Shore, maybe check out Different Bikes. On Top is good, but they're still more used to dealing with big bikes.

You'll find that you'll get a bit of 'tude at most shops because of your rig. Kikapu's are great where there's smooth trails, but they break on the Shore. There are no DH, FR or XC trails on the Shore. There are just trails, and they tend to be rough. If you prefer to ride up as much as down, maybe consider grabbing a stronger frame. Kona built stuff like the Dawg and the Coiler specifically for riding XC style on the Shore.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    JohnnySmoke,

Here is the problem I have with the "tude"

The Kikapu is a great bike, if you use it for what it was designed for. I like X-C, I bought the Kikapu specifically to meet my needs, I know what I was doing.

When a shop treats me like an idiot for not liking their particular style of riding they lose my respect and business. Yes, I know that a big portion of the riding scene in Vancouver is downhill, does that mean that X-C riders should be shunned, have to go elsewhere to get their bikes fixed, and am I the only one in Vancouver that thinks that is outrageous?

If the Cove, which is a big Kona dealer is too good to fix a measly X-C bike thats their prerogative, I'll take my business elsewhere.

P.S. Can't Downhill and X-C just all get along?

fear this
    You know, Johnny's right, there's no XC, FR, or DH specific trails out here, it's just rough stuff. The mountains are young, they're steep, and there's some truly gnarly terrain out here. I started on my Sugar, but after riding the Shore once, I realized that I needed a bigger bike to do it safely. Despite these concerns, I have ridden the Shore with only 4" of travel front and back on my Sugar. I had to walk some of it, but it was mostly fear related. There were some rough parts of Ned's that were kicking my ass on a bike without at least 6"+ of travel. If you're skilled, really brave, and you've got a solid frame (the Fisher frame is first rate), you can still take the majority of the trails around here on an XC rig. It just won't be as comfortably as riding my buddy's Devinci Remix 3 or my Ollie.
    Norco Fluid LT
    Devinci Ollie

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, I'm not so much defending the attitude as explaining it.

Still, they rubbed you the wrong way so screw 'em. There's plenty of good shops around, and they know better than to piss off the customer.

You're right, the Kikapu is a great bike for XC. Unfortunately, the Shore will chew it up and spit it out in pieces unless you stick to Fishermans. That's not to say that you need to grab a 75lb Norco or anything. It's just the mechanic/shop guy knows he's fighting a losing battle on keeping a race XC bike running well under those conditions.

If you're planning on doing a lot of riding on the Shore, but still want to pedal, consider trying something a little beefier. I like my Chromag (steel hardtail) a lot, and it's not too heavy, but it's also not for everyone. The nicest trail bike I've tried on the Shore was the Cove Hustler. I see lots of guys really happy with the Dawgs, Coilers, Enduros, and Slayers.

See you at the nest NSMBA trail day......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlownCivic
    If any of you are in the South Surrey area, and interested in some mild XC riding (Delta Watershed, Stokes' Pit in Langley, or Urban Forest), I don't know the trails really well, but I've been dying to get my newly built Giant NRS dirty. I'll ride pretty much anywhere, as long as its not a long drive. North Shore and beyond gets a bit far for me though (for now).
    hey im in south surrey too

mtbr member
    I basically fix my bike myself unless its wheel truing issues then i just take it across the street to the LBS there and they do it.
    But if your in Surrey area Rocky Cycle is good.

fear this
    Burnaby Mountain is another great place to ride if you're looking to avoid the serious drop-off stuff that is all over the North Shore. I'll ride Burnaby in the wintertime to simply maintain fitness.
    Norco Fluid LT
    Devinci Ollie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaker666
    Burnaby Mountain is another great place to ride if you're looking to avoid the serious drop-off stuff that is all over the North Shore. I'll ride Burnaby in the wintertime to simply maintain fitness.
    Burnaby is nice. On top of that if you want some excitement, just head down Nichole's trail. I like the view of the North Shore from the park.

Members who have read this thread: 0