mtbr member

Calgary Visit Tips

I will be spending 3 or 4 days (Monday - Thursday) in Calgary in late August and I was hoping for some insider knowledge. I ride mostly dirt jumps, street/urban, and skateparks. I'm bringing my 26" hucker bike with me. I already plan to visit Shaw Millenium Skatepark and C.O.P. Bike park, weather permitting. I'm also intrigued by the city's vast netwrok of trails and paths. Can anyone suggest any dirtjumps, street spots, and/or bike friendly skateparks? I'd like to find an indoor skatepark just in case the weather is not so good. At this point, I don't know what area of the city we'll be staying in. Guessing, I'd have to say close to the downtown area. Can a person ride from the downtown area out to COP or is that a long haul?

Millenium skatepark: I've read that it is open 24 hours and bikes are welcome. Is this true?

On a related note, any suggestions for off-bike activities? My wife is going to a work thing so I'm free to play during the day but, need to find things to do at night/evenings. Any good restaurant recommendations? Someone told me that I have to go to Joey Tomatoes. Same guy also suggested the restaurant on top of the tower. We are not really into going to clubs or bars but, we do enjoy people watching from a sidewalk cafe.

How far/how long to Banff? And other than beautiful scenery, is there really anything to do out there? Everyone says "Oh you have to go to Banff! It's so beautiful." But other than that, can't tell me anything about it. Everyone says they have nice quaint little shops. Walking around, trying to keep the wife from spending me blind is not my idea of a fun time. Is Banff worth the drive if you're just going to hang out? I know it would be with the bike but.......

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Any good bike shops that you'd suggest? Any shop that you trust that I could ship my bike to to avoid airline charges? I've thought about doing this but not sure if I trust my baby to just anyone. I'm afraid I'd get back home and never see her again.

Thank you.

conjoinicorned
    Millenium skatepark: I've read that it is open 24 hours and bikes are welcome. Is this true?
    partly true, it is open 24 hrs. and bikes are allowed, but the skaters do not welcome them. we ride there late at night when it's less busy (like midnight) cause it can get pretty packed.

Can a person ride from the downtown area out to COP or is that a long haul?
    i suppose you could, i certainly wouldn't. it's a loooong way on the busy calgary roads...

How far/how long to Banff? And other than beautiful scenery, is there really anything to do out there?
    it's 1.5 hrs. from calgary, and no there is nothing to do but scenery, shopping and the "hot springs". mostly a giant tourist trap, you won't catch many locals around there.

we do enjoy people watching from a sidewalk cafe.
    17th Avenue S (downtown) is THE location for this activity. basically anywhere between 14th and 1st. street, there are cafe's and restaurants everywhere.

dirtjumps, street spots, and/or bike friendly skateparks?
    dirtjumps: COP. skateparks: millenium. there are currently no indoor skateparks open to bikes, and most of the inner city DJ's have been torn down, or else they are secret and i don't know where they are. you'll have to ask someone else about street spots, i usually just bang around downtown, i suppose eau claire mall (north end of downtown) is pretty popular with the urban set.

hope that helps.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info ferday. Dig the avatar.
    I'll be there August 21 - 24. If you've got any freetime during those days and you'd like to meet up with a Texan for some street riding, let's get together. I'm in Houston Texas and do urban assualts downtown quite often. Lots of ledges and stairs and things to play on. Lots of fun when the dirt is wet.

You say late night is best for Millenium. How about early in the morning? I had read that place can bring in as many as 30,000 skaters over a weekend. Yikes! That is crowded. The photos just look so cool, I can't go all the way up there and not hit it at least once.

What's your favorite place to eat? We like to try smaller mom & pop type joints, not the big chain restaurants.

Thanks again.

conjoinicorned
    my favorite place is diner deluxe, it's on edmonton trail and about 20th street. it's a nice little mom 'n pop place, i agree with you on that. a lot of the cafe's on 17th, especially around 4th street, are pretty good. i suppose the calgary tower is interesting if you aren't from around here, but the food is only ok and it's really $$.

when we get a little closer to the dates, PM me and i'll give you some numbers and stuff, if i'm around i'll get a ride in for sure.

oh yeah, and millenium is usually empty in the morning, especially weekday mornings. it's a pretty sweet park if you're good at that stuff, i'm a hack when it comes to urban...
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

dreaming of bottlerockets
    Lake Minnewanka (in Banff Park) is a sweet ride with awesome singletrack, and scenery. I rode it on my freeride hardtail, but it's more of an XC trail.

I would say the town of Banff is not worth the drive to "hang out". It's a huge tourist trap.
    if it ain't broke you ain't ridin' hard enough
    http://www.outdoorsclub.ca - I'm the webmaster and I help run trips!

Formerly DMR For Life
    Quote Originally Posted by TXhucker
    I will be spending 3 or 4 days (Monday - Thursday) in Calgary in late August and I was hoping for some insider knowledge. I ride mostly dirt jumps, street/urban, and skateparks. I'm bringing my 26" hucker bike with me. I already plan to visit Shaw Millenium Skatepark and C.O.P. Bike park, weather permitting. I'm also intrigued by the city's vast netwrok of trails and paths. Can anyone suggest any dirtjumps, street spots, and/or bike friendly skateparks? I'd like to find an indoor skatepark just in case the weather is not so good. At this point, I don't know what area of the city we'll be staying in. Guessing, I'd have to say close to the downtown area. Can a person ride from the downtown area out to COP or is that a long haul?

On a related note, any suggestions for off-bike activities? My wife is going to a work thing so I'm free to play during the day but, need to find things to do at night/evenings. Any good restaurant recommendations? Someone told me that I have to go to Joey Tomatoes. Same guy also suggested the restaurant on top of the tower. We are not really into going to clubs or bars but, we do enjoy people watching from a sidewalk cafe.

How far/how long to Banff? And other than beautiful scenery, is there really anything to do out there? Everyone says "Oh you have to go to Banff! It's so beautiful." But other than that, can't tell me anything about it. Everyone says they have nice quaint little shops. Walking around, trying to keep the wife from spending me blind is not my idea of a fun time. Is Banff worth the drive if you're just going to hang out? I know it would be with the bike but.......

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Any good bike shops that you'd suggest? Any shop that you trust that I could ship my bike to to avoid airline charges? I've thought about doing this but not sure if I trust my baby to just anyone. I'm afraid I'd get back home and never see her again.

Thank you.
    I have ridden millenium at all times of the night and day and never had any problems with the skate crowd as long as you give them the right of way(u have brakes they don't mentality) you'll be fine whenever you ride

For urban spots the best i've found is eau claire (take 4 or 5 street north till they end) including the stair double in front of the YWCA (or is it a YMCA can't remember)

One of the transit routes that run out to that area use buses that have a bike rack on the front...free of charge see www.calgarytransit.com for more info

Banff has absolutely amazing scenery....there are lots of trails (hiking) that would be a good way to spend half a day or so

Bike Bros in cochrane (just west of the city) is a great little owner run shop...the owner graham is on here once in a while www.bikebros.ca

There are a couple of shops closer to downtown (I have little to no experience with these) www.thebikeshop.com and mission cycle

I have no idea what I'll be doing during that time...there may be a chance that I might be able to ride

DMR

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You can find a ton of Calgary riders on pinkbike forums also.

Members who have read this thread: 0