Loser

Calgary for a day

I will be in Calgary for a business trip at the end of the month. It looks like I'll have a free day on Sunday, July 28th and looking to ride. I will be staying at the Holiday Inn by the airport (I really don't even know where that is).

I just started searching around - but any information appreciated, it looks like the Olympic center would be an easy place to go and rent a bike, but it looks like the lifts are down? I'm not at all opposed to pedaling, but not sure pedaling up and down a mountain makes sense. If I'm going to ride XC, then there are probably better options.

I'm an experienced biker with 25+ years of riding under my belt - I love technical XC riding. I presume I'd have to rent a car to get to any biking from my hotel - even confirmation of that would be great.

Thanks for any help.
    John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You can rent and ride at the Canmore Nordic Center:
    Canmore Nordic Centre
    Trail Sports

You will definitely need a car wherever you go. It's about 1hr drive to Canmore. There is XC riding to be had a Canada Olympic Park as well, but the trails are much more limited.

not sure pedaling up and down a mountain makes sense. If I'm going to ride XC, then there are probably better options
    Isn't that pretty much the definition of XC?

Loser
    Ha, I guess you're right! I guess when I see lift served trails and I think about climbing up like that its not so appealing.

Oh and thanks for the response. I'll check that out.

Level 5 Rider!
    Canmore has been recommended as a place to ride for me many times. From my many visits to the town I can tell you that there are bikers everywhere there. Beautiful scenery and (from what I have heard) there is awesome XC trails. It's only about an hour and a half from downtown Calgary.

If I hadn't have just started biking I would probably offer you a lift out there and back. The canmore nordic center has bike rentals as well so that won't be an issue. Bike Rentals | Trail Sports

Hope you have a good time and welcome to my city in advance!
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

Loser
    I see a trail named Highline Trail that is near the south end of the Canmore Nordic Center, and it looks like you can ride off of the Nordic center and access that trail - is that true? I'm looking for a good ride here - 3 to 4 hours and that Highline Trail looks pretty cool from the videos I've seen.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yes, it's an excellent trail within easy riding distance of the Nordic Center.

Loser
    I can't seem to find any video of the trails at the Nordic Center - are they decent trails or just easy stuff?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Lots of good stuff, with a variety of difficulty. It's not just ski trails if that's what you're thinking. They have a pretty detailed map you can pick up at the day lodge also available as pdf:
    http://www.albertaparks.ca/media/399...re_2011_v3.pdf

There's a couple videos of the nationals a couple years back:
    Canmore mtb nats course - YouTube
    Canmore 2011 National XC Championship Course - YouTube

Of course that's a small sample of singletrack available, and there are some new trails built since then.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you're looking for more technical descents, there are a couple trails accessed from Spray Lakes Road past the Nordic Center:
    Reclaimer Trail Canmore | bikepirate: get the latest dirt on trails to ride
    Riders of Rohan Canmore | bikepirate: get the latest dirt on trails to ride

Riders of Rohan can also be used to access Highline. Also lots of pictures and videos available if you click around bikepirate.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Unfortunately recent flooding has eliminated access to some of our best stuff including our most 'technical trails'.

For demos look into Calgary Cycle, they have an excellent fleet including SC Bronsonc in all sizes, Tallboy regular and LTc, some Ibis Mojo SLRs, and Trek Remedy and Fuel 29ers. Just call in advance to book.
    Calgary Cycle | Canada's Premier High-End Bike Shop

High line is an excellent trail that fits in the 'trail' category with fun dh and decent views and you can add in Reclaimer or Rohan for steeper dh. All the Nordic Center stuff definitely falls into 'xc', not a fan of any of it but if you're from the Midwest you would prob love it.

West Bragg Creek has a fun network of easy but fast and flowy 'trail' and is only ~40 min from airport.
    A detailed overview of West Bragg Creek's Mountain Bike Trails with complete trail descriptions and maps. - Bragg Creek & Kananaskis Outdoor Recreation

The bridge to Moose Mtn just may be open by the time you get here and that's where our best dh terrain lies although again limited trails due to flood damage. There Pneuma is a great climb up, 45-90 min depending on your fitness, that will take you to Special K or Race of Spades dhs.
    MMBTS - Moose Mountain Bike Trail Society

And bikepirate is a great source with descriptions of most of the trails in the area.

Loser
    Very nice, thank you both!

I live in the NE US, where our trails are rocky, rooty and hilly - though our hills are pretty short - we basically climb the same 6-700 feet over and over again throughout a ride - a decent ride here would have between 1,500 and 3,000' of climbing. I ride 3-4 times/week - some road, but mostly mtb, so sea level fitness is pretty good right now.

I found that bikepirate site, but not knowing the area, it was pretty confusing - getting a few pointers to key rides is excellent.

Thanks for the insight, I just booked my flight, so I think this is really going to happen.

Level 5 Rider!
    Good luck, Have fun on the new trails!
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Shoot me a PM in the middle of the week, and if I'm riding on Sunday I'd be happy to take you out and show you some of the phenomenal XC riding we have out here. I have a spare Santa Cruz Blur XC that you could use, if a large fits. An average ride has between 3,000'-5,000' of climbing, but can be more or less depending on how trails are linked.
    Screw the shuttle, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

MTB B'dos
    Lucky Dude Jisch, the year I first started MTBing I went through Canmoore Centre and was bummed I couldn't go bike, just wasn't in the schedule and only happened on it by accident site seeing. Beautiful scenery out there. I personally wanted to hit any connecting trails and head into Banff park, far as I could tell you can do this and loop around one of the lakes. Next time I'm up that way I'll definitely behitting up those trails for a few days and will have 10 years MTB under my belt so should enjoy them a good bit. Thanks for the thread start, gave me now some good resources to start planning
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentP View Post
    Shoot me a PM in the middle of the week, and if I'm riding on Sunday I'd be happy to take you out and show you some of the phenomenal XC riding we have out here. I have a spare Santa Cruz Blur XC that you could use, if a large fits. An average ride has between 3,000'-5,000' of climbing, but can be more or less depending on how trails are linked.
    That would be awesome. I'll hit you up next week.

Loser
    I was up there for work two years ago and got to spend a day skiing at Lake Louise - very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Lucky Dude Jisch,

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    That would be awesome. I'll hit you up next week.
    I'll have to play it by ear. I separated my right shoulder yesterday in the 24 Hours of Adrenalin at the Canmore Nordic Centre this weekend after a crash. Too early to tell whether I'll be able to ride this weekend, but PM me later in the week and by then I'll know how it's coming along.
    Screw the shuttle, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

Loser
    Wow, that's a bummer! I hope you heal quickly. I'll ping you later, but I have no problem renting a bike at Canmore if it doesn't work out.

Loser
    Brentp took me on a tour of Canmore, very nice - thoroughly enjoyed the day. You guys in Calgary are lucky to live so close to the mountains - I really feel like I could live here!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Good thread. I'm heading up this Sunday for one free day and will have to make the trip to Canmore.