mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Calgary Cycling Clubs

Hello fellow Calgarians,

I just recently moved to Calgary from Ontario and I'm looking to join a club. I'm a 25 year old female coming into her second season of xc riding/racing. Yes a newbie, but fiercely competitive and driven . I've been doing some research and found a few clubs in the area IE Spin Sisters and Dead Goat. I was a member of an all female club back home, and I may be interested in mixing things up a bit and going coed. If anyone has any advice for where a decent place to plant some cycling roots would be, I'm all ears!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Dead goat and Bragg Creek and Station Flats week nights.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    http://www.terrascaperacing.blogspot.com/

jeff and Alahna are great folks, (I wrench some of the teams bikes)
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My wife is in the Spin Sisters club, I'm on the Deadgoat Racing team. Drop me a line if you have questions on either and I'll do my best to help out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Any other Calgary area clubs? I'm looking for meet up with people to do cross country riding (or really anything not requiring armour). I am a novice, but am 30 years old and in pretty good shape. Please let me know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmojorizing View Post
    Any other Calgary area clubs? I'm looking for meet up with people to do cross country riding (or really anything not requiring armour). I am a novice, but am 30 years old and in pretty good shape. Please let me know.
    There are quite a few clubs in town.

A good approach is to find a couple of bike shops that are close to where you live and go visit them and ask about when they do shop rides. You will get to meet other riders and in a matter of a few weeks you should get a better feel for what kind of club suits your style.

Other than that, you could go out to Powderface parking lot this weekend (now) and ask nicely to hook up with a group forming in the parking lot that looks about your speed. Meet people out there, see who rides your speed or preferred style and ask them what they recommend.

Good luck. We are moving to Rossland in a week or so, I'd invite you for a ride but I'm a little busy prepping for a 24 Solo AND packing a house.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi,

I'm looking for a group of people to ride bikes with. I have a decent but not multi-thousand dollar mountain bike that I'd like to ride along paved, and non-paved trails and cross country with a group. I am a 30 year old male who recently moved back to town and have a chronic foot injury, so can't really run much anymore, hence biking. The problem I've encountered is that all the groups in town are either race clubs or people in their 50's and 60's, or strictly road bike clubs.

So the purpose of this group would be to: ride for exercise, and fun and possibly socialize with a beer afterward. Rides will most likely take place in the SW in fish creek, and the Glenmore park area, or possibly somewhere more central, and the north or outside the city on weekends. This will not be a hardcore group, but at the same time getting a good workout is desired.

You must have: some sort of mountain bike (doesn't have to be super fancy) or road bike when sticking to paved trails/roads and helmet

You must be: mid-twenties to mid-thirties with a good attitude, the desire to ride for exercise (not necessarily speed) and fun, and have patience with someone who is new to cycling in this area and organizing these types of things.

Please message me: your name, e-mail address, the type of bike you have (road or mountain) and the kinds of rides you'd like to do with this group/suggested riding areas.

I hope to post this message in various appropriate forums, and once I get enough interest I will send an e-mail to organize some rides.

Hope to hear from you!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Responding to previous post

I am looking for the same thing. I in my mid 30/s and looking a group of people to go out, have fun and enjoy it. I hate the people that "have climbed everest with your mountain bike", but I looking at getting back into shape, have fun and meet some good people in the process.
    I am going to ride Fish Creek tomorrow May 5 2013 around 11am. I start at McLeod Trail and Canyon Meadows Park Entry.

You still looking for a MTB partner.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmojorizing View Post
    Hi,

I'm looking for a group of people to ride bikes with. I have a decent but not multi-thousand dollar mountain bike that I'd like to ride along paved, and non-paved trails and cross country with a group. I am a 30 year old male who recently moved back to town and have a chronic foot injury, so can't really run much anymore, hence biking. The problem I've encountered is that all the groups in town are either race clubs or people in their 50's and 60's, or strictly road bike clubs.

So the purpose of this group would be to: ride for exercise, and fun and possibly socialize with a beer afterward. Rides will most likely take place in the SW in fish creek, and the Glenmore park area, or possibly somewhere more central, and the north or outside the city on weekends. This will not be a hardcore group, but at the same time getting a good workout is desired.

You must have: some sort of mountain bike (doesn't have to be super fancy) or road bike when sticking to paved trails/roads and helmet

You must be: mid-twenties to mid-thirties with a good attitude, the desire to ride for exercise (not necessarily speed) and fun, and have patience with someone who is new to cycling in this area and organizing these types of things.

Please message me: your name, e-mail address, the type of bike you have (road or mountain) and the kinds of rides you'd like to do with this group/suggested riding areas.

I hope to post this message in various appropriate forums, and once I get enough interest I will send an e-mail to organize some rides.

Hope to hear from you!

Level 5 Rider!
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueassasin View Post
    I am looking for the same thing. I in my mid 30/s and looking a group of people to go out, have fun and enjoy it. I hate the people that "have climbed everest with your mountain bike", but I looking at getting back into shape, have fun and meet some good people in the process.
    I am going to ride Fish Creek tomorrow May 5 2013 around 11am. I start at McLeod Trail and Canyon Meadows Park Entry.

You still looking for a MTB partner.
    I am kinda thinking the same thing here. I am picking up my first mountain bike (was going to pick up a cheapy from big box stores, but after reading up on it I will spend a bit more and go to my local bike shop and hopefully get a half decent ride.

I experienced the same thing as mrmojorizing as I have problems with my feet when running. I still like running and do some lighter stuff still. I am starting to get out of shape as I recently moved to a desk job as well, so I need something to get me back out there and I loved riding as a kid. My brother also rides and it would be nice if I could hook up with him when I get better.

I know from working out that a group/partner is so much better for motivating you to get out there, especially when you are just starting (at least for me).

Unfortunately I live in Airdrie and am quite the ways from you two for regular rides, but basically am trying to find the same things as you guys. I would like to push myself and get better and try more difficult things in the long run.

Anyways.. this apparently concludes my first post in the MTBR forums. lol.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Contact me and I will add you to my list of invites for MTB trips

Quote Originally Posted by Desidus View Post
    I am kinda thinking the same thing here. I am picking up my first mountain bike (was going to pick up a cheapy from big box stores, but after reading up on it I will spend a bit more and go to my local bike shop and hopefully get a half decent ride.

I experienced the same thing as mrmojorizing as I have problems with my feet when running. I still like running and do some lighter stuff still. I am starting to get out of shape as I recently moved to a desk job as well, so I need something to get me back out there and I loved riding as a kid. My brother also rides and it would be nice if I could hook up with him when I get better.

I know from working out that a group/partner is so much better for motivating you to get out there, especially when you are just starting (at least for me).

Unfortunately I live in Airdrie and am quite the ways from you two for regular rides, but basically am trying to find the same things as you guys. I would like to push myself and get better and try more difficult things in the long run.

Anyways.. this apparently concludes my first post in the MTBR forums. lol.
    Desidus,
    My real name is Robert Cummings and I encourage you to get a half decent bike from your local bike shop or Pinkbike. Any purchase from a big box store bike (CCM, Schwinn, Iron Horse, etc) is money wasted. First the bike will weigh a ton and really discourage you from MTB. Second the components are crap and you will hate MTB because they are not doing the job you need them to OR they break. Third, the bike frame is steel and usually breaks after a few steeps and hills.

I am not saying go out and buy a new Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon with ENVE Wheels and XTR components, but I am saying, if you can afford it, spend at least $1500 on a HT (hardtail) MTB from a reputable bike shop or ~$2500 on a FS (Full Suspension) AM/Trial Bike.

If you look at Bowcycle classifieds or Pinkbike Buy & Sell you can find a half decent used bike for about $2000-3000. I can assist you if you need some help.

Here is my personal information:
    Robert Cummings
    Email: cummings.robertj@gmail.com

Send me your info and I will invite you to some upcoming events. I am introducing a few people to MTB and have a Beginner/Novice Class starting.

The class goes over: Pedalling, MTB Riding Positions, Key components of a MTB, Balance, Cornering, Braking, etc

Level 5 Rider!
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueassasin View Post

I am not saying go out and buy a new Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon with ENVE Wheels and XTR components, but I am saying, if you can afford it, spend at least $1500 on a HT (hardtail) MTB from a reputable bike shop or ~$2500 on a FS (Full Suspension) AM/Trial Bike.

If you look at Bowcycle classifieds or Pinkbike Buy & Sell you can find a half decent used bike for about $2000-3000. I can assist you if you need some help.
    Ha ha ha.. don't I wish. I overspent to get my $400 giant revel 4... I am happy with it though. *shrugs* it will get me out there. Maybe I will build a china special for my next bike, lol.
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals