mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Calgary Bound-Thurs Road or MTB?

Hey all, I'm heading up your way this week, just wondering if anyone can give me idea on which ride I should bring, the road bike or my ht? thanks jay

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Weather may assist in this decision

Well, since I'm not getting any response and looking at previous posts about trail conditions. I think roadie might do it. Please if you have inputs they're greatly appreciated. jaydog

Formerly DMR For Life
    see here for weather http://www.meteo.ec.gc.ca/city/pages..._metric_e.html for a general idea most forcasts around this area are fairly inaccurate up till a day before...so don't believe all of the forecast

as to which bike to bring from what i've heard most of the trails within the city are in good shape as well as some of the lower alpine ones... above the tree line is likely still wet

DMR

KAIZEN!

Bring the HT and talk to some locals at LBS

I echo the local weather report... "if you want to know what the Calgary weather will be like, give it another 10 minutes...!" which means it can change pretty quickly! We have been having unseasonably hot weather this spring - 30 C / 90 F last week!

Bring the HT; you can do both road and mtb! Bring extra semi-slicks - ride part of the high elevation Highwood Pass (south of Calgary) as it is closed to vehicle traffic until June 1... BEAUTIFUL... and a friend rode it 3 weeks ago - it was bare and dry!

Bragg Creek (Powderface / Moose Mountain & Moose Packers - 15 minutes of portaging around deadfall at the top) are extremely dry right now - extreme fire hazard. It is dryer than normal! One usually doesn't see it this dry on the trails until July or August!

Beware canmore / banff right now due to heavy bear activity. A MTB got attacked about a week ago and another gal was killed last year on the Benchlands in Canmore. You just have to be aware, have your wits about you and if possible, ride in a group! There will be tons of people out hiking / biking and riding horses on the weekends!

Happy trails!
    Dean

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hi,

I agree with Hockeygod. Bring your ht, as most of the xc riding in the city doesn't require a fs. All the trails in the city, i.e. COP, Fish Creek, Nosehill Park, Bowmont Park, are in awesome shape, thanks to the very dry weather we have had. Bragg Creek's trails are also in good shape and even the lower trails in Kananaskis, i.e. Jewell Pass, Barrier Lake, are dry and snow free. If you want some pretty good trail reports, you can look at http://vpfree.pinkbike.com/bb/viewto...asc&highlight= and look at the history.

As for the weather, I have to echo what everybody else has already said. Forecast to 24 hours are _usually_ reliabe, anything after that is pure guess work or science fiction.
    A climb is really just a flat piece of road that points up. A headwind is a climb that you can't see. So it's all flat road, really.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I rode Baldy last night due to cougar activity on Prairie/Jewel. It was nice and dry, with just enough moisture to make traction perfect. I don't recall any standing water or muddy sections on the entire trail. I've also rode several of the trails off Moose mountain and they are all dry as well. Summer is here!
    "Lightweight , durable , inexpensive
    Pick 2."

Members who have read this thread: 0