Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Calgary & area trails

Hi guys,

I'm hoping to be out on my bike again this weekend. I was wondering if anyone else has been out and where recently....... what have the trails been like? Especially in K country.

I obviously know that spsoon was out at Benchlands.

X-ker..... you been out of late??

Just looking for some info on trail conditions really.

Anyone been out around Moose Mountain at all??

Cheers

mtbr member
    I personally haven't been out yet, but I know that some of the pinkbike guys were saying that the Chief Hector DH was good to go.

Check out the 'Kananaskis 8' ride in BCBITCR to get the idea of where to ride.

Basically, up Prairie View until the very last switchback, check to the right for a trail that drops down towards the #1. Apparently both the up and the down are in good shape, but the around - not so much.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks Kerry,

I will check it out in the bible, but right now it looks like it will be Benchlands for the weekend ride.

I might go a hike elsewhere as well just to get a feel for conditions nearer to Bragg Creek.

Cheers

FS

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Myself, Lee P and Steamer 19 headed out on Saturday to check out Benchlands. It was the first time we had all been out there.

It was VERY icy in certain sections causing a few falls as some of the ice had dirt on top.

It was also very muddy in parts but very good fun all the same.

Altogether a good short ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Rode Minnewanka on Sunday.

The initial climb after the bridge is super icy but as soon as you hit the scree slope it improves drastically, the first short downhill section is dry and fast.

After that it alternates between mud, dust and sheet ice/snow. Totally worthwhile for an afternoon rip, if the weather stays warm it should be completetly shredable in a couple of weeks.

I made it a couple K's past the second campground.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    so who's going where this weekend?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    we went to Nakiska but a small amount of fresh snow had fallen so we went boarding instead, it got pretty warm though later on so most of that would have melted is my Guess

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    any news on hector/prairie view?
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Anyone riding this weekend?

I'm planning on heading out to test out my new rear shock!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    new snow in banff area stopped most of the biking, but the trails around tunnel mountain, campgrounds where all good to ride before the snow.
    Lake minniwanka might be ready too?
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    I'll be continuing my training riding, possibly on Nose Hill if its not too crowded on a long weekend.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilirubin
    I'll be continuing my training riding, possibly on Nose Hill if its not too crowded on a long weekend.

Never seen Nosehill crowded, I have seen herds of twenty bikers though.

Check out the sun if you have a nice open patch of sky go for a two hour ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Never seen Nosehill crowded, I have seen herds of twenty bikers though.

Check out the sun if you have a nice open patch of sky go for a two hour ride.
    I'm thinking tomorrow, but now looks sooooo nice...

mtbr member
    I know I'm not the only one out riding...

Bowmont \ Sideshow Bob
    - Bowmont and Sideshow are dry and dusty with a few small patches of dampness. There is one section that's still wet, and if you've ridden these trails before you likely know exactly which spot I'm talking about (after sideshow, heading towards the long paved hill).
    - I haven't hit 12 mile yet since I usually give it a bit more time than sideshow to dry out and let the creek crossings drop a bit. I'd imagine that 12 mile would be worth a try by next weekend, but if anyone's ridden it I'd like to know the conditions.

Nose hill
    - I probably don't need to tell anyone that nose hill is 100% dry

mtbr member

Friday - April 2

Prairie Mountain
    Myself and Ferday pushed up Prairie with our DH bikes on Friday.
    The trail was dry with a few small patches of dampness. The last few hundred meters before the summit push along the ridge were a big ice field.

I should probably mention that this is a fairly serious trail, rather steep, and certainly not for begginers. From looking at a topo, it climbs ~750m in ~3.5km. The push up was brutal and took a long time for a DH that took less than 15 minutes.

Also, looking down at the powderface loops from the trail I'd assume that it'll still be a few weeks before any of those trails are OK to ride. (Prairie gets much better exposure to sun and wind than powderface so it tends to dry out much faster)

mtbr member

Saturday - April 3rd

Lake Minniwanka
    The rainbow unicorns were out in full force for our usual season starting Lake Minni ride.

Conditions were great all the way to the ranger cabin. A few small patches of snow and ice near the start of the trail, but by the time you finish the first climb you'll be done with it. On our ride back to the trucks there was a bit of snowfall which was starting to stick to the trail, but nothing too serious.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Moose Mountain

I flew over Moose yesterday on my way back from Victoria and it didn't look like it had much snow on it. Although saying that, the trails in the trees will probably still have packed snow from winter hikers.

Back on the bike this weekend.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    I flew over Moose yesterday on my way back from Victoria and it didn't look like it had much snow on it. Although saying that, the trails in the trees will probably still have packed snow from winter hikers.

Back on the bike this weekend.....
    That seems like a very expensive way just to check conditions...I usually just prefer checking out this webcam for a quick look at moose. Also, this one is good for looking at Banff and the Lake Minniwanka lakeside.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    has anybody ridden around Exshaw just before Canmore near the cement factory, if so where can I find some trail details/routes?

cheers
    Lee

mtbr member
    Just got back from a great ride with Pingu down at Fish Creek. It was a little cool starting off this morning but the trails are in great shape for the most part. There is a bit of mud in some spots but mostly dry. I was a little worried with the snow fall earlier this week but if you want to get out, this is a good option. Even stuff on north facing slopes in the trees is dry.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Still riding snow on North Facing Slopes at Nose Hill....

And after todays snowfall we will probably have some snow patches till May..

mtbr member

Sunday, April 11

Moose Mountain
    (Not that it's really applicable anymore...)

Went out for a quick loop with K-Star and Ferday, but since we were a bit pressed for time we ended up riding up the fire roads - which really isn't that bad at this time of year since the gate is closed.

We parked at the bottom of moose and rode up the fire road to a Billy Dog descent. From Canyon Creek road we did a lap of Shoulda before riding back up Elbow and descending down Brakeless back to the car. Aside from the odd patch of snow and the occasional wet spot everything was in great shape.

Also talked to Hizzity who was out riding on Saturday and apparently the pneuma ascent was also in good shape.

**sigh**
    and now we play the waiting game again.
    **shakes fist at sky**

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    ahhh we'll have snow until Canada day so put the bikes away and break out the skis...it's global warming you know!

ups and downs
    You can always be snowed on in the mountains, it doesn't drop below a 50/50 chance until after the May long weekend.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Biked the benchlands in Canmore yesterday evening. The trails are very dry and dusty, no significant muddy spots.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast