Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    lake minniwanka is ready too (after the first bridge, is muddy as always) but after that is dry, with a few trees down.

The trails in the tunnel mountain/campgroup area are dry too.
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Moose Mountain

Myself and Steamer 19 headed upto Moose yesterday and rode Pnuema to the top. The lower parts of the trails are muddy, as are the higher sections - with sections of ice.... but only near the very top.

Came back down the same way....

There were plenty of other bikers at the parking lot but only saw a few other riders on the trail, so not sure what they had been riding on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    Myself and Steamer 19 headed upto Moose yesterday and rode Pnuema to the top. The lower parts of the trails are muddy, as are the higher sections - with sections of ice.... but only near the very top.

Came back down the same way....

There were plenty of other bikers at the parking lot but only saw a few other riders on the trail, so not sure what they had been riding on.
    We were out there on Saturday and did Billy Dog, Should'a, and Brakeless and all were in great condition - mostly dusty over hardpack with a few small sections of wet.

Sunday I kept in town and did a bowmont loop with a bit of exploring out towards Valley Ridge. As expected, everything was in good condition and I wouldn't be surprised if 12 mile coulee was ready for the season as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    12 mile is good to go. A few patches of mud, but nothing too bad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    lake minniwanka, all the canmore G8, banff tunnel mnt/ camp ground, and praire view/ camp hector are all dry.

might check out the lower part of jewel pass later this week too.
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Refresh my memory. What is and where is 12 mile Coulee?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    12 Mile Coulee is a little creek that feeds into the Bow through Tuscany. It's a nice little singletrack trail that can be ridden in conjunction with the trails in Beaumont Park.

Please be respectful if you ride there. I seem to get the odd hiker/dogwalker who believes bikes do not belong there. I worry a day will come when bikes are banned. I try to smile and slow down for other trail users and promote an atmosphere of goodwill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stokes
    Refresh my memory. What is and where is 12 mile Coulee?
    Singletrack that is a nice extension to the usual bowmont \ sideshow Bob loop. Preferred direction is to start in Tuscany and drop down towards the river.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Calgary & area trails-12mile-overall.jpg  

Calgary & area trails-start-here.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DWDW
    Please be respectful if you ride there. I seem to get the odd hiker/dogwalker who believes bikes do not belong there. I worry a day will come when bikes are banned. I try to smile and slow down for other trail users and promote an atmosphere of goodwill.

Some good advice to follow for pretty much any riding you do around the Calgary area, especially in-city though.

It's hard to get banned if the other user groups like you and generally have good experiances with your user group...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DWDW
    12 Mile Coulee is a little creek that feeds into the Bow through Tuscany. It's a nice little singletrack trail that can be ridden in conjunction with the trails in Beaumont Park.

Thanks, I have been there just didn't recognize the name.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Some video clips........

Got a helmet cam a while ago and been testing it out so I thought I would post some vids here.

Benchlands;

Silver Star;

Kicking Horse;

Pnuema, Moose Mountain

Hopefully the link work!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    .....hmm didn't work!

Here's the link to my youtube page instead........

http://www.youtube.com/user/Pingu383

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nice vids. I think I need to do more exploring around Benchlands. Only been there a couple times.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon
    Nice vids. I think I need to do more exploring around Benchlands. Only been there a couple times.

Cheers.

Last time I was up there we headed over to the east side of the river....... there is actually a loop that you can do there. Quite short but still good fun.......

Level 5 Rider!
    Hey Guys I live in Airdrie, was wondering where a good place for me (a total noob) would be to start. Right now I am just biking on the trails around my town getting into better shape, but I bought a mountain bike for dirt not asphalt. So where is a good place to go for a newbie. I was thinking Nose Hill, but is there actually any trails that are even mildly entertaining there (remembering that I am a noob). Just seems like the last time I was there it was all paved and some straight trails, but then again its been a long time since I was up there.

Hopefully get a reply since the last post was like 3 years ago. lol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Desidus,

Nose Hill is great for what it is. There are trails that wind around throughout the park other than the paved trails. If you cruise around the park you will quickly discover the more entertaining trails. I also understand there will be some kind of skills park built there in the future.

In light of the recent flooding, this won't be a banner year for mountain biking in our area as a lot of the access to a large concentration of the riding areas has been compromised.

If you are interested in staying in the Calgary area I would also suggest the Eastlands beside C.O.P. and Beaumont park. Fish Creek is also good, but further away from you.

Best of luck!

Level 5 Rider!
    Fish Creek is about the same distance really (or at least travel time).. but that area is close to my folks so I could visit them before I head out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2