Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    TRAIL UPDATE: As of June 26, 2013

I've ridden a lot of the trails in the west Bragg and Moose Mountain area this week, and they are all in surprisingly good condition, with a few wet spots (as can be expected), but it's drying out quickly.

Access is via the west Bragg trail head parking lot. The restricted access closure immediately following the flood was lifted earlier in the week. There was what appeared to be a homemade road block about a kilometer before the parking lot, early this week, but that has been removed and it is possible to drive all the way in now. They don't want cars going over the small stream crossing bridge at the entrance to the parking lot, so cars aren't allowed into the lot. You'll need to park on the road and ride in the last 50 meters or so.

If riding up the Tom Snow fire road to access the Moose Mountain trails at Station Flats via Ridgeback, be aware that there are some sections of deep erosion on the steep sections of the fire road where the water channeled down. It is still rideable to the top, though, by keeping to the edge of the road. Ridgeback is in very good condition with some minor wet spots after the rock garden as well as a few on the lower two sections. The usual bogs on the lower sections of Tom Snow are worse than usual (surprise, surprise) so stick to Ridgeback and stay away from lower Tom Snow.

Sulphur Springs is in good condition, with the usual boggy sections, but otherwise in good shape, as is Pneuma. From Sulphur Springs last night I dropped down on Pneuma then rode up the Moose Mtn. access road and onto the fire lookout trail at the top. I've never seen it as rocky on the lookout trail in the section that drops down to Moosepackers, as it was yesterday (but I haven't been up there for a few years so I can't say for sure if it was due to the storm). Moosepackers is in stellar shape and you wouldn't even know there had been rain in the area except for a few small wet spots near the bottom. I saw tracks in a couple of spots indicating a number of riders have been through there since the storm.

Boundary Ridge and Snagmore are good, with a few boggy spots in the usual early season places. The big problem, as we found out earlier in the week, is that Snagmore/Boundary or Sugar Mama can't be accessed from the south side without serious bushwacking (which we did but won't do again), because the course of McLean Creek has been diverted and now runs over the trail that used to take you from the Allen Bill parking area to the trail heads. The only way around it is to climb a ridge on the left and go around (not recommended). From the west Bragg parking lot, however, you can ride Boundary Ridge and Snagmore and turn it into a clockwise loop back to the parking lot by climbing up Sugar Mama to Ranger Summit, and from there either ride back to the parking lot on Ranger Summit or Strange Brew.
    Last edited by BrentP; 06-27-2013 at 06:26 PM.
    Screw the shuttle, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the informed update, Brent.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    TRAIL UPDATE: As of Tuesday, July 9, 2013

SOME EXCELLENT NEWS

Repairs to the approach to the McLean Creek bridge on Highway 66 are underway, and heavy equipment is presently working to rebuild the washed out embankment of the east bridge approach. I had a good talk today with one of the Volker Stevin workers, and he told me they expect to have the bridge open with a temporary fix in one to two weeks. He said the only thing that might delay the bridge opening is whether or not they discover the span has been overly stressed, as the steel piles supporting the east end of the bridge deck apparently dropped slightly in the flood. That probably won't impact a partial opening, but if they discover the eastern most span has been overly stressed, they will replace it before fully opening the bridge. At the moment, though, expect the bridge to be partially open again within two weeks. Let's keep our fingers crossed that all goes according to plan.

Viewing the bridge work from the Snagmore trail, I couldn't tell whether the equipment in the river was pulling rocks out to rebuild the riverbank, or whether they were moving rocks around to tray to squeeze off the diversion that is now flowing where the access road (the Elbow XC ski trail) connected from the Allen Bill parking lot to Snagmore, Fullerton Loop and Sugar Mama trails. There is essentially a new tributary about 300 meters west of the main river course, which has overrun the connecting trail and completely cuts off Allen Bill from accessing the trails to the north (without some serious climbing and bushwacking around it). It would be great if they are trying to close off the new tributary so they can re-establish access to the trails to the north, again.

Volker Stevin is also working to repair the erosion around the stream crossing at the entrance to the West Bragg Trailhead parking lot. You can no longer get over the small bridge due to the work, but today they built a temporary stream crossing to allow riders and hikers to cross the stream (to the left of the bridge). The worker I was speaking with said they were really surprised at the volume of riders and hikers that were accessing the area, so they brought in materials to create a stream crossing today after they started work.

All the trails in the area, as expected, are in excellent shape, with a small number of erosion areas in a few spots that require negotiation (Snagmore stream crossing and Tom Snow fire road climb). After the recent rain they are firm, but not muddy (with the exception of a few scattered, small wet spots). The main fire road/XC trails like Elbow and Iron Springs are extremely boggy, however, and not worth using even as a short cut.
    Last edited by BrentP; 07-10-2013 at 10:15 AM.

mtbr member

Bragg Creek trails

On our way from Ontario. Wondering how the trails are and if there are any places/ trails to avoid or be cautious of. We should be in the area Thursday August 1. Any camping recommendations? Please note we do have a camping trailer.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    It's very hard to get current information on whether campgrounds have been opened, or even if the access road closures on Highway 66, Powerface Trail, and Highway 40 have been lifted (everything on the web seems to be quite old). Your best bet as far as determining what trailer campgrounds are open is to call the Elbow Valley Visitor Centre (re: Highway 66 region) and the Barrier Lake Visitor Centre (re: Higway 40 region). If I'm not mistaken, the McLean Creek campground is open on Highway 66 west of Bragg Creek, just before the bridge that's under repair (I haven't been out that way for about 3 weeks, so I don't know if they have bridge access yet to the areas west of McLean Creek). The small Gooseberry campground seems to be open too, according to this page.

As far as riding goes, all the trails accessible from West Bragg Creek are in excellent shape, and there are lots of ways to create different loops of different lengths and elevations. I'm heading out there this afternoon, as a matter of fact, for the first time in a few weeks.

mtbr member

Bragg Creek trails

We've had a great couple days riding in west Bragg. Hit up the southern flow loop for our first ride yesterday and then the northern flow today (made it out before the rain really hit hard). Not sure about tomorrow(Monday) will have to see what the weather has in store. Might check out moose mountain as the bridge on 66 is open.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2