mtbr member
    Jan 2009

... and if we just ... Bike tours in Whistler Lame or Great??

Thinking about heading to wiz this summer. First time. Should I go with a tour the first few days to get layout of the land or save the $ and go at it alone on local advise. Best place to stay for the xc adventure? Thanks! Yeti 575

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Get a guide book and start with the "easy" Whistler stuff then go from there. The Zappa trails around Lost Lake are pretty hard to mess up. Some of the other trail heads can be hard to find. Depends on what type of riding I guess - the trails off of the lifts are well marked and appropriately graded.

Accommodation goes from the hostel to uber deluxe. How long are you staying and do you have a budget?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Check out Endless biking. I used them and Darren is super patience and real cool. They run tours from North Van to Whistler. I don't know much experience you have with drops and skinnies so it's hard to tell you what to do.

Whistler has two hostels and a campground.

I won't ride alone somewhere unfamiliar in B.C. Call me a sissy but I would stick to the park (The park's not really XC)or ther river runs through it if you're alone.They see alot of traffic so you shouldn't get stuck out there. Temps in June can be down to 8 c at night. Try making a friend on the lift then asking if they want to ride the valley sometime. I've followed my guide off something in the boneyard. This way you're at the correct speed. It's easier to make friends after you've done a head turner

You don't have to use a tour.You could grab Whistler mountain biking by Brain Finestone when you get there. Fanatlyk bike shop should have it. The book's pretty good for showing you around but sometimes it's got me in over my head. I would try the River or comfortably numb if you want a easier ride. C.N. is super long so I won't ride that the first time alone. If have a riding buddy, it's an XC adverture.

"XC" takes on new meaning here so be careful. Turning at a fork in the trail towards a sign with a diamond or double diamond will usually put you somewhere you might have wanted to look over first before riding. That's what's nice about a guide. They can get you comfortable with some trails then you can ride them alone for the rest of your stay. Guides aren't cheap so if you don't have the loot just look before you leap.

Fifty's right You should ride out to Lost Lake first. The trails are well marked and easy to navigate. Lost Lake reminds of XC trails where I'm from, Maryland USA.

Last thing.. Ride Fromme and/or Seymour. Those trail systems are in Vancouver. Fromme's kind of like XC. You climb a fire road then pick a trail to go down. Try Pipeline or Natural High first. You can stay a block from Fromme at Lynn valley B&B. Andrew's super cheap and his place is geared for Mtbr's. Don't pass up free awesome trails if you're going be in the area

here's links for stuff

http://endlessbiking.com/, www.whistlercamping.com, www.lynnvalleybedandbreakfast.com

Have a great trip!
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    whats about the charges. I mean, will it be affordable for a group of 5 people. I think
    it must be. No, matter it not luxurious.
    regards
    a craze beyond the limits

I just wanna ride my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by homeless junkie View Post
    I would try the River or comfortably numb if you want a easier ride. C.N. is super long so I won't ride that the first time alone.

Fromme's kind of like XC.
    Comfortably Numb for most folks is not an 'easy' ride (http://www.imba.com/epics/comfortably-numb) but if you're relatively fit, don't mind climbing and riding technical trails, go for it.

As for Fromme and Seymour, keep in mind that 'XC' on the North Shore means technical i.e. rocks, roots, ladders, drops. Most things have walk arounds. The only swoopy, mostly buff trail is Bobsled on Fromme (which is a fun warmup run to do). 'Easiest' XC is the Bridle Path/Sticks & Stones/Will's Way loop on Seymour.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'll put another vote in for endless biking, their guided tours are pretty good if you are from out of town and have no idea where to go.