mtbr member
    Aug 2007

BC Bike Race versus Nimby Fifty

Hey Everyone,

I wasn't really sure where to put this thread, so I just decided to drop it into this one.

My wife and I rode the Nimby Fifty this past weekend. The weather was awesome, and needless to say, it was one of the toughest cycling events I have ever done.

My wife, who I would describe as an intermediate all-mountain rider (from the Interior of BC), found the course, in terms of technicality, to be very difficult (it was "HC" as she called it, coming from a road racing background), particularly the "101 Switchbacks".

We are registered to do the BC Bike Race in 5 weeks (in the Challenge, as a Team of Two), and my wife is now quite nervous about the BC Bike Race and it's technical difficulty (compared to the Nimby Fifty course).

We haven't been able to find any solid info on the technical difficulty of (the majority) BC Bike Race's trails, especially now, compared to the Nimby Fifty course.

Can anyone (particularly female riders) out there who has either ridden the BC Bike Race, or at least (some of) the trails that the Race uses, comment on their difficulty compared to the Nimby Fifty course?

It's not the elevation/climbing (by itself) that we're concerned about, it's more the technical attributes that we'd like to know about.

Thanks everyone! Any help anyone can throw my way would be appreciated.

If I can find a suitable racing related forum, I might post this there too.

-Mike

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike9699 View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I wasn't really sure where to put this thread, so I just decided to drop it into this one.

-Mike
    NimbyFifty is quite a bit more technical than the BCBR (with the exception of the last day on Comfortably Numb). Even that last day is less technical than Nimby Fifty. It's not to say that the course isn't hard. It's more the case that the BCBR trails are fast, flowy. Eg one of the hazards in Cumberland will be the spray of loam and pine needles in your face. The only bike race that would match Nimby50 imo is Four Jacks. Your wife will be fine and will have fun.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hey,

Thanks for the reply. That's what I had thought (about the Nimby being quite a bit more technical than BCBR), but we were looking at the course profiles for the various days, and a few of the days have equal to or greater amounts of climbing over shorter distances, so that got her a little freaked out.

She can handle fast and flowy, it's just when it gets wet, rooty in slow climbing sections.

We've made a few trips down to North Van to get her used to riding wet rooty/rocky stuff (it's all dry and dusty in the Okanagan), so she's getting better at it, but Nimby was quite a bit above her head in many areas.

Thanks again!

@adelorenzo
    Maybe give some thought to a skills clinic or spending some time with a coach? IME a session or two can make an amazing difference in confidence and skill.

My wife and I have done sessions with Shaums March in Squamish, but I believe Johnny Smoke is out in your neck of the woods, check out Bush Pilot Biking. His company was highly recommended to me, hope to get out riding with them next time I'm down that way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    She has actually attending Johnny Smoke's course here in Kelowna for the last couple years. We've been trying to get down to do Shaums' course, or at least one in Whistler, but haven't had the time.

It's more the really technical climbing we were wondering about with BCBR vs. Nimby Fifty.

Thanks!

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    BC bike race isn't nearly as techincal as Nimby. There are some technical parts but not nearly as much sustained difficulty level. In all honestly the Nimby is one of the hardest XC course you can find.

My wife has raced BCBR the two years and is really disapointed to be not racing it this year. Her experience is that most women really enjoy BCBR and really don't have many problems. Herself, and many of the other women found that they had stronger technical skills then most of the guys they raced around.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    whats the weather usually like during the Bc bike race?
    are the sleeping accomodations good.
    my wife and I are considering it for next year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the heads up guys on the course. My wife managed to talk to some other women who have ridden it, and they comforted her as well on the race haha.

Trailtrash, as for weather, it's the coast, so it can really vary. Last year was, for the most part, pretty good, not very much rain from what I remember, a little chilly at times though.

Sleeping accomodations are in tents (usually on a beach, or in a park or something relatively comfortable), and they give you a small foamy to sleep on (so really recommend bringing your own thermarest), and the food is phenomenal.

@adelorenzo
    Good luck and be sure to post a race report.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Will do. I've opted to lighten up my Banshee Rune and use it at the race. Decided I'd rather struggle a bit more on the ups, in order to better enjoy the downs (instead of vice-versa, as I was originally intending).

Stoked!