mtbr member

Attack at Moose Mountain - Ridgeback

I went out for my ride today, I decided that I would ride Station Flats up pneuma and back down Ridgeback. So much fun, there is sections along pneuma that I still want to be able to clean going up, And Ridgeback is soooo much fun, it is so fast and some good little rocky tech sections very well thought out trail.

Now I was working my way down the trail and the second last section of Ridgeback about 3/4 of the way though I heard what I figured was an alarm call from some type of bird. The call got louder and louder then thud talons hit the back of my helmet, SCARED the HELL out of me, mostly because I didn't think that a bird would hit me so hard. I put my head down and peddled as fast as I could out of there.

It turns out it was one of these

(Sorry I stole somebody else's flicker picture)

its a Northern Goshawk I figured it out from the call as it swooped down to attack my helmet. I can't believe that a bird with a meter long wingspan attacked my head today.

So be warned that there is a fairly large hawk out there that doesn't want people near it's nest.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yup the birds have been in around there for years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Man, that's crazy.

I had a good sized hawk flying parallel to be down a trail last week. It was awesome. I'm glad it didn't decide to attack.
    Am I all zipped up?

Escaping the Dreary Confines

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Yup the birds have been in around there for years.
    Why is there no sign up about the bird or why has there not been a different trail made, goshawks nest in the same place year after year and I am sure she would appreciate less people riding or hiking by her nest especially when she has a little one? Not really complaining it is a great trail, just a question.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jrastories View Post
    Why is there no sign up about the bird or why has there not been a different trail made, goshawks nest in the same place year after year and I am sure she would appreciate less people riding or hiking by her nest especially when she has a little one? Not really complaining it is a great trail, just a question.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk
    Generally the less attention drawn is the best method to avoid conflicts.

They have been there for years, seems to be working well.

internet axe murderer
    LOL! Badass bird - 1, mtber - 0. That would have scared the hell out of me too.

Can you (or anyone) tell me about the newer trails around Station Flats? I haven't ridden there in 7+ years. I used to ride Sulpher Springs and have done the Moosepackers trail a couple times. How do pneuma and ridgeback (and any others) compare? I ride xc, nothing extreme.

Thanks!

Courtney

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    court - we just rode pneuma/. It was an awesome mid with granny climb till about halfway. It got pretty punch granny climbs after the halfway climb. We rode out on Special K then via Tom Snow to Ridgeback. Ridgeback was pretty nice up and down. Not too tech (and I mean not North Van tech) but fairly fast and flowy tech. Special K was a bit steep at the top but mellowed out considerably in middle and lower
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    LOL! Badass bird - 1, mtber - 0. That would have scared the hell out of me too.

Can you (or anyone) tell me about the newer trails around Station Flats? I haven't ridden there in 7+ years. I used to ride Sulpher Springs and have done the Moosepackers trail a couple times. How do pneuma and ridgeback (and any others) compare? I ride xc, nothing extreme.

Thanks!

Courtney
    Just in case you haven't come across this info, Courtney, here's a blurb about many of the recent trails around Station Flats/Moose Mountain, as well as a link to the excellent current trail map.
    Trail Descriptions
    Trail Map (includes downloadable version)
    Pneuma detail
    Screw the chairlift, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

internet axe murderer
    Brent,

Thanks so much for those links; very useful info. Moose Mountain Bike Trail Society? I had no idea.

Courtney

internet axe murderer
    Hi Lee! It's nice to "see" you again. Thanks for the ride description, and hi to Sharon.

Courtney

mtbr member
    thats crazy, i had a little bird fly through my front tire once....

poof!!!! skids..... spit spit...

ewwww

def. didnt taste like chicken.
    2012 Giant Reign 1