mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Anyone else have problems with canada post theft?

I live in B.C., and in the last month i have had two parcels shipped to me from California with bicycle stuff go missing and another one arrive with the package ripped open and my new XTR chain missing. The Canada post delivery guy (rasta type guy) who delivers my packages once told me he use to work for Kona so now i'm wondering if maybe he has decided to help himself to my packages. None of the packages were insured as far as I can tell so it looks like I may be out around $150.00 . Anyone else have problems like this? Oh and Canada post customer service said there was nothing they could do about any of this. Sure looks like there are some pretty bad people working for Canada Post in my area. And as it seems I can do nothing about it I guess I'll have to hope Karma will catch up to this guy.

ups and downs
    Never had that problem (touch wood). Check with the shipper, if the US Post shipments had a postal tracking number they are usually insured. Was the package that was ripped open inspected by Canada Customs (usually has the yellow tape with the Opened for Inspection written on it)?

The shipper has to make the claim on the missing shipment, but you need to file a damage claim when receiving the mangled shipment from Mr.Dread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezer
    The Canada post delivery guy (rasta type guy) who delivers my packages once told me he use to work for Kona so now i'm wondering if maybe he has decided to help himself to my packages.

Because he's black, or because he has a haircut that you can't, or because he used to work for Kona? Please clarify, as I think I see the source of your bad karma. You just might deserve worse......

Formerly DMR For Life
    Canada post has a department for investigating mail theft, call them and let them know that you are missing packages

DMR

bi-winning
    To date, i have not had a problem with Canada Post stealing any packages shipped to my address.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I will call the department for mail theft and see what they can do. Customs had not opened the torn open package as there was no customs tape that would be there to seal it. As for as if he is black, works for Kona or has a haircut I can't have well no he is not black. He does have a hairdo that is definitely rasta style though (kinda interesting looking). The main thing is that he said he use to work for Kona and is into mountain bikes. So naturally if he is delivering my packages and they are now disappearing and arriving ripped open with the contents missing he is unfortunately and obviously the first guy I would suspect. If he is the guy stealing my things Karma will take care of him.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

If you paid by Visa...

or any other major credit card you are likely insured by them and could get your money back or something. Worth a try... most you could lose is $150.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Westshore - Victoria BC

Quote Originally Posted by Freezer View Post
    I live in B.C., and in the last month i have had two parcels shipped to me from California with bicycle stuff go missing and another one arrive with the package ripped open and my new XTR chain missing. The Canada post delivery guy (rasta type guy) who delivers my packages once told me he use to work for Kona so now i'm wondering if maybe he has decided to help himself to my packages. None of the packages were insured as far as I can tell so it looks like I may be out around $150.00 . Anyone else have problems like this? Oh and Canada post customer service said there was nothing they could do about any of this. Sure looks like there are some pretty bad people working for Canada Post in my area. And as it seems I can do nothing about it I guess I'll have to hope Karma will catch up to this guy.
    Coastal Cycle on Island Hwy told me parts and accessories were regularly mis-delivered to Cycles West on Millstream Road and Cycles West would open the packages, display the product, sell as much of it as they could until someone came around asking about the mis-delivered product.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezer View Post
    Yes Canada Post is full o thieves.

I have had problems but not with bike parts but tax refunds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Canada Post used to hire extra delivery staff just a week or two before the Christmas rush. They do a Criminal record check that generates a report that comes to Canada Post about a week before Christmas. By that time, seasonal delivery staff have been delivering packages for 6 weeks, whether they have a criminal record or not. Delivery people were paid by the package delivered, ie., for packages not returned to the Letter Carrier Depot -- an incentive to leave packages behind screen doors for example. Packages range from the size and weight of a stereo receiver clearly marked TELEFUNKEN on the return address to packages clearly marked from Europe on the return address that smell like cheese or dried or smoked salami. Are you hungry temporary postal delivery guy or could you use a nice stereo?