Too Much Fun

New question here. Any BC/Pemberton local info on JTR?

I'm doing a 5 day bum rush into BC this summer, likely mid Aug and I would really like to include Jack The Ripper in there. I've been obsessing about that trail for years.

Is the climb up REALLY 4hrs or is that an inflated number? We'll likely only have one car. Climbing isn't an issue, but wanted a reality check.

LeeL and Sharon, I spotted Sharon's old ride info online somewhere and I've got the 2011 PDF trail map off the PVTA site.

Cheers!
    - -benja- -

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    1.5 hrs to the glider launch. 0.7 on Middle earth to Microwave tower. 0.8 to JTR "top" ie the part where you might have to put on armour but even then you have lots of nasty little climbs. Numbers are totally out of my ass. 4 hours is a relaxed pace. 90% of this is singletrack.

Then you need a pretty good dh oriented bike to make it down having some fun/ No single speed rigid 29er is going to have a lot of fun on this. Epic doesn't begin to describe the trail

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...47244034,d.cGE

or this which is non POV

Omits the climbing
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Too Much Fun

Thanks Lee!

Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    1.5 hrs to the glider launch. 0.7 on Middle earth to Microwave tower. 0.8 to JTR "top" ie the part where you might have to put on armour but even then you have lots of nasty little climbs. Numbers are totally out of my ass. 4 hours is a relaxed pace. 90% of this is singletrack.
    Awesome info, thanks for breaking it down! ...Now is that good, technical climbing or sheer brutality? I love tough tech climbs but will potentially be with some who don't enjoy the pain quite as much.

Then you need a pretty good dh oriented bike to make it down having some fun/ No single speed rigid 29er is going to have a lot of fun on this. Epic doesn't begin to describe the trail
    Understood. I'm bringing the Mojo HD 160 which should make for a fun time. My buddy is on a Blur LT. We're both well schooled on tough tech riding, though I'm sure this will set a high bar for sure.

The real question is whether we do JTR the day before or the day after Comfortably Numb... Decisions!

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!
    - -benja- -

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    Awesome info, thanks for breaking it down! ...Now is that good, technical climbing or sheer brutality? I love tough tech climbs but will potentially be with some who don't enjoy the pain quite as much.

Understood. I'm bringing the Mojo HD 160 which should make for a fun time. My buddy is on a Blur LT. We're both well schooled on tough tech riding, though I'm sure this will set a high bar for sure.

The real question is whether we do JTR the day before or the day after Comfortably Numb... Decisions!

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!
    It's good climbing but its so long that after a while you just start to suffer.

Do it before CN. CN blows dead goats compared to JTR but that might be because I've done it so many times I'm jaded. JTR is that much better in every way

Too Much Fun

Any BC/Pemberton local info on JTR?

It's good climbing but its so long that after a while you just start to suffer.
    And what's the preferred route to the glider launch spot? Looks like there are options.

Do it before CN. CN blows dead goats compared to JTR but that might be because I've done it so many times I'm jaded. JTR is that much better in every way
    Nice! Unqualified opinion is key.

It's all gonna be fresh to us, but we'll hit JTR first. Super stoked.
    - -benja- -

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    And what's the preferred route to the glider launch spot? Looks like there are options.
    Happy - Nimby - Let It go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Might be really hot in August, >30oC which will make the climb even tougher.

Here is the strava segment for the JTR descent
    Strava Segment | Jack The Ripper

Matt Bonds time was the one for our group when we did it in Sept, going at a steady, not too fast pace.

The climb is a good 3-4 hours. You'll be fine on the HD, your friend will be ok on his Blur LT, just a bit more puckered.

JTR is an awesome ride.

Too Much Fun

Good job! Thanks for all the data!

You guys rock. Can't wait! Yeah, I figure the climb will suck ass pretty hard, but in a good way.

How exposed is it going up for full-on sun? I was figuring there'd be some good tree coverage going up for much of it, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

Honestly, I've been wanting to ride that trail for years. I've always preferred more rugged tech riding, and as much as I love a lot of what we have down here in OR, I really am looking forward to more burly stuff for a change.

My only weakness is the crazy skinnies and huge drops (5'+), but JTR seems like it doesn't include much of that stuff.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You're in the trees most of the time so you don't have to worry too much about direct sun. It just gets really hot and dry in Pemberton in July/Aug.

You can stay pretty much on the ground on JTR and most of the technical trails in whistler actually. Most structures are now optional or there for a reason.
    There is one 'bridge' on JTR that is the only way past this one section.

I'd explore the west side trails off Flank before doing CN too.... Pura Vida, Cheap Thrills etc. Especially if you like tech.

Too Much Fun

Any BC/Pemberton local info on JTR?

Thanks, good info. JTR & CN will be the bigger days, then doing shorter (<5-6hrs) for the last two.
    - -benja- -

Too Much Fun
    Hey L & S, would Sept be any nice or better for this ride? Aug trip might get pushed a bit.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Its quite often really nice here in September and will be less busy in the bike park anyway. Could get cheaper accommodations too. The Gran Fondo is on Sept 7th so that could be a busy weekend in Whistler.

Too Much Fun

When's the end of riding season for Pemberton?

My schedule is getting jacked around a bit, thought we were coming up in Aug, now Sept, and I'm getting nervous about that even.

What are the options in October? I'd rather not ride Pemberton when the snow has started to fly! Unless I'm on my boards.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    We've ridden JTR in Oct no problem. Its a bit cooler, might rain.

Pemberton is good well into November even. Its lower then whistler.

Sept/Oct is good here unless it rains, it might snow higher up later in Oct.