mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Alberta Canada so far

Well we have been here sense tuesday and so far canada is awesome, I will never crack jokes about you guys again.

We rode at the nordic center canmore yesterday trails were nice and fun nothing too challenging.

My only complaint so far is you can't get descent rentail bikes up here.

Spent yesterday and today in banff and we chose to hike instead of ride, the only bikes we could find were 4/4" forgot the brands but very generic.

Maybe im spoiled but my local shops offer santa cruz, specialized, turnner rentals at 50$ a day, come on ill pay more than that just to get something other than a hardrock.

Heading to jasper in the morning gonna check out a store that was recomended I know they carry kona were looking forward to a ride.

Anyone know if you can get higher end mt bikes around jasper something with more than 4" of travel...?

ups and downs
    Trailsports at the Nordic Centre had the new Rocky Element MSL 70's (120mm travel) and some of the alloy Elements for rent, the MSL 70 is an ideal bike for the XC trails on the east slopes of the Rockies.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I guess we just do it differently down south, 120mm may work up here but you would struggle on my home trails with it.

Like I said im just used to more travel so im looking for a bike to fit my ride style.

We do plan on bringing our own bikes next time up so no worries...

Double-metric mtb man
    Hehehe...yeah, in that area we swing a little different...it's still kinda XC We do have the bigger stuff around...for when you need it
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

ups and downs
    I thought I saw some Rocky Altitudes (140mm travel) or Slayers (160mm travel) at Trailsports this year, maybe those were bikes that someone brought with them.

rides with camera
    Try Vicious cycle if your in Jasper, I believe I saw some Altitudes there for rent.
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    freewheel in jasper, ask for chris or wendy..

in banff soul ski and ride has some cannondale rize 120's for rent...
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    well our one day for riding in Jasper was rained out oh well, we only got to do the nordic center rides, all told we didnt get to do as much riding as we had hope.

The trails we did ride were fun not too challenging xc type stuff, I think our next trip we will bring our own bikes, ill have to research some other areas to visit maybe whistler.

all and all Canada was awesome you guys have it so good up there and everyone was so friendly, cant wait to visit again.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If you wanted downhill Rider of Rohan starts just about 3 km uphill from the nordic center.....that will stand you up in the saddle.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    If you wanted downhill Rider of Rohan starts just about 3 km uphill from the nordic center.....that will stand you up in the saddle.
    Yep. And there are lots of technically challenging trails at the Nordic Centre if you know where they are.
    Screw the shuttle, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well considering we were on the rental 100mm bikes wasnt really looking for downhill, im not sure of all the names for the trails at nordic but I know we did EKG and a side loop that connects back up to EKG, then we did some exploring.

Spent a while out there and like I said for what it was it was fun

ups and downs
    You likely would have had more fun up higher above the day lodge on some of the harder blue square and black diamond XC trails: Laundry Chutes, Back Door, Hey Mcleod, Killer Bees, Ziggy's, Nector Noodle, and The Albertan, Treasure Trail, Sherwood Forest, and on the low side Dipped Cone to Soft Yogurt to Devonian Drop, No Homers and Coal Chutes.

Many of these were part of the National Championships MTB course this year or last, so likely 2/3 of the racers rode them on 26"/29" hardtails, but they would have been even more challenging than EKG (which is fun in its own right).

I actually enjoyed many parts of the green and blue loops like Get In Get Out and Baby Beluga/Artistic Merit loops 'cause they are almost like pump tracks through the woods.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by plate View Post
    Well considering we were on the rental 100mm bikes wasnt really looking for downhill, im not sure of all the names for the trails at nordic but I know we did EKG and a side loop that connects back up to EKG, then we did some exploring.

Spent a while out there and like I said for what it was it was fun
    It ain't the bike it is the rider.......