mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Advice on Whistler trip in August 2012

I've read most of the post in this forum but didn't want to highjack anyone else's thread. I've seen some good ideas of trails to ride but wanted to get some advice on this trip.

We are trading our Cabo time share and can stay at Club Intrawest or Mountainside Lodge, in Whistler for 7 days. We plan to go mid August for our 22nd anniversary.

We both race XC and endurance in Texas and are sport class (Cat 2) level racers. We are used to roots and rocks but don't have any real hills like in the mountains. Our fitness level is good for 44 years old and don't mind riding 3-6+ hours a day. So my questions are:

Anyone know about Club Interwest or Mountainside lodge? Access to bike park, other trails, etc.

We plan to rent some downhill bikes (something high end) and ride the Whistler mountain bike park one day. Where is best place to rent bikes and information? At the park?

We are bringing our own bikes for the other days...26" Sworks FSR stumpy's or 2012 Epic expert carbon 29ers. Which would be the better bike to ride the trails in the area?

We don't really want to spend our time riding crazy downhill fly through the air stuff. Good scenic XC is what we want to ride. We are willing to go an hour away from the hotel to ride so what would the top places be?

Should we just go ride or pay for a guide or take a tour a day or two? Any local bike clubs that might like to show us around the trails and ride?

A friend of ours did the BC Bike race last year and recommended BC as the place to go over Colorado or Moab. He suggested any of the trails from the race would be good to ride. We plan to ride at least 5 of the 7 days.

Should we rent a car for the whole trip, just on days we need it or take shuttles? Keep in mind we will have bikes. What about airport transportation?

Medical attention if needed, where to go or travel insurance recomendations.

iPhone AT&T coverage?

What else should we do? Places to eat, how to save money, best place to watch bikes fly around at the park, places to avoid, where to celebrate anniversary dinner, etc. Keep in mind we are in our 40's...not college kids.

mtbr member
    I am doing some searches as well for a Aug trip and came across this: Crankworx 2012... so if you don't like the DH scene then I wouldn't go during those dates.

mtbr member
    Going to Whistler during Crankworx and riding XC trails is a great idea. There is almost no one on them!. It's bad for traffic and crowds but what the heck it's worth seeing.

There are a couple high performance rental spots out there, but you may not be able to find anything up for grabs that week. The folks at G-1 are ground zero for the guides, gear, passes etc. They're just to the right of this camera's view. Come summer you'll see this is all paved and is usually packed with bikes.

Whistler Blackcomb - Web Cams - Whistler Village

I haven't ridden XC up there in a few years. One favorite rail was a train wreck near Function Junction (Tim, Honza, Ewan Bachell at Train Wreck - Function Junction in Whistler, British Columbia, Canada - photo by johnnyvoris - Pinkbike.com some of the comments might lower your IQ). If you're willing to drive for an hour then both Pemberton and Squamish have awesome XC riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for the info. I'd like to see crankwox for a few days just to see the scene but don't really think I want a week of that everyday. We are looking at other days since our timeshare is Sunday to Sunday. However, I'm finding out a day or two one way or another can cost $300 a person more to fly. And flight times are leaving Vancouver at 6am. Thinking about flying out on a Monday and spending the night in Vancouver. Thinking about Aug. 5-12 to get a few days of the Crankworx in or June/July to avoid it all together. I've been told to avoid September due to the rain...?

Continental/Air Canada Seems to be the cheapest air...but does $200 a bike one way sound right for bag fees? That's $800 to bring our bikes. As a USA cycling member, I can ship them for $150 each one way but takes 7 days shipping. Trying to shop airfare with bike bag fees is a pain.

Planning to rent a mini van to carry bikes around in.

mtbr member
    Don't leave your bikes in the van overnight in the street, that may sound common sense but if they aren't secure you'll loose them.

The weather does get less predictable in Sept but early in the month it's usually still hot and sunny.

Most of the guys I know pack their bikes down as non-bikes. they pretty well jam the whole thing into a hockey bag and call it sporting equipment. Usually they're single though so four people with huge bags of cycling gear but no bikes might make them wonder.

Lots to do in Vancouver for sure. I'd say look for a bike friendly bed & breakfast in North Van. Then you're over the bridges and can get right on the highway in the morning.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Wow - lots of questions but I like people who've done some homework themselves beforehand so here's some answers

- Club Intrawest is close to the Lost Lakes trails and the Lost Lake itself. Fantastic place to chill post ride. Lost Lake Trails are a good place to start. Order this book

- As for packing your bikes and flying cheap read this . Dakine now has a golf bag that can pack bikes. Golf bags fly free.

- Downhill bikes. Either from FanatykCo or from Summit Sports. If you rent from the Bike park itself you can get an orientation lesson for about $ 15 more so its worth it to consider that option too

- Bring the Stumpys. Only very very good technical riders should ride Epics in Whistler.

- There's a good thread about potential xc rides from this guy. Truly it depends on your comfort level. From your self-description try:

• Lost Lake
    • Cut Yer Bars
    • River Runs Through It (do the ridearounds)
    • Kill Me Thrill Me - Young Lust combo
    • Young Lust to Comfortably Numb to BCBR cut-out
    • Young Lust - all of Comfortably Numb
    • Cheakamus River trails - Trash - Trainwreck combo

There's quite a bit more but the trick is to know in what order to do these trails.

- Some guide services around but I don't know them

- Don't bother renting a car. It'll sit for most of the week. The beauty of whistler is that once you get there the car is parked/

- should have no problem with At&T coverage

- Eat. Depends on budget. Splitz Grill for burgers comes to mind. Place is kind of expensive for food. I usually eat in.

- Anniversary dinner; Araxis, RimRock.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks, lots of info and still reading.

I didn't realize there was so much to ride so close to the hotel.

mtbr member
    That spot began as a start your ride out of the village XC spot. The trails that you ride the lifts to get have really saved the classics from being overworked they way they would have been if the freeride kids didn't have that outlet.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crimecrusher View Post
    Thanks, lots of info and still reading.

I didn't realize there was so much to ride so close to the hotel.
    You're literally a 30 second flat spin from Lost Lake trails and 1 minute in lake shorts to Lost Lake. The location can't be beat

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks so much for all the insite. Has me reconsidering renting a car now if everything is within riding distance. Are other attractions within walking distance such as park, resturants, etc?

I still think I might like to take a road trip to one of the other must rides but maybe take a guide trip. I don't do well without a plan so really looking forward to the trip. We're from Austin and never been up north...August will be 100+ degrees here.

Looks like I'll take our stumpy's with bigger tires and dropper post. I'd really like to take the 29ers but they are 100mm travel race bikes (epics).

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crimecrusher View Post
    Thanks so much for all the insite. Has me reconsidering renting a car now if everything is within riding distance. Are other attractions within walking distance such as park, resturants, etc?

I still think I might like to take a road trip to one of the other must rides but maybe take a guide trip. I don't do well without a plan so really looking forward to the trip. We're from Austin and never been up north...August will be 100+ degrees here.

Looks like I'll take our stumpy's with bigger tires and dropper post. I'd really like to take the 29ers but they are 100mm travel race bikes (epics).
    The park is a 10 minute walk from Club Intrawest.

The village where the bulk of restaurants are located is 10 mins to 15 mins walk.

Club Intrawest is in the quiet part of the Blackcomb village so you're away from the hubbub of the central Village and Village North. They must have a map of the village and location?

Take a guided ride to Squamish and soak in their fantastic xc - that'll be an amazing day.

August might get to 100s but that's not common. More like 80s

Use the car-rental money on wine and dine for the missus instead. That always goes down well