Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

7 Summits - Sept 20th?

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  ebxtreme 
#1 ·
Anyone else riding the 7 summits on Sunday, September 20th? I'm coming in from the East Coast on the back end of a work trip and I'm looking to do the 7 summits. I've never ridden the area and would like to ride the trail with folks that know it if possible. Old school XC rider who will probably end up renting a 30lb psuedo-XC bike from a local shop ;-).

#6 ·
regarding bike rentals from the first post - they rent trances at revolution; i rented one a couple months ago and it's a great bike for the xc stuff in the area

Anyhoo, I live in the area and if there is a ride planned maybe I could tag along - not sure yet as I don't have as much spare time lately as hoped (oh, the irony) - if there are PMs going around, please add me. (telebiker - i was the guy who bought the turner xce off you a few years ago; when it cracked (my fault) i shoulda replaced it with another turner like a 5spot but went for a cove hustler instead. are you still on a turner?)

#7 ·
Still on a Turner? You bet! Tried an RFX after the XCE. Too much bike for my style of riding. Then got a 5 Spot which was stolen in Kamloops. Replaced it with another Spot. Yeah! It's been on the Seven Summits twice now. Hoping to make it three next week. I do have some flexibility in my schedule so, guys, let's try and hook up.

#9 ·
Hey EB!!

I don't know how you knew it but I will be in the area.:eek:

I hope to do the 7 Summits earlier in the week but I will be around there sort of.
I will be around Nelson and New Denver.

PM sent.
:cool:
k

#10 ·
ebxtreme said:
Hoping to do 7 summits on the 25th with my better half if anyone else is up there that Thursday (dawgprimo?). Might do another day in Rossland and then head to Nelson after that.

Any and all advice welcome for either areas. Will bring both xc and DH bikes.

Cheers,
EB
I will be in the area from the 25-30. I'm flying in so am going to have to borrow or rent a bike - hopefully I can get that sussed and be riding Friday afternoon. Planning on riding 7 summits one day on the weekend and nelson on the other day and Monday as well. I will be staying either between Rossland and Nelson or just outside of Nelson.

#11 ·
Dawgprimo.......got it! Check your inbox.

GMX, my wife and I will be in Rossland Wednesday night.

Our tentative plans.

We're gonna ride 7 Summits on Thursday the 25th and do some more FR stuff on Friday. Weather or other things could change that around, but I figured I'd get a longer xc ride over with sooner than later.

Friday night, we're gonna head to Nelson. Camping at a location TBD.

Saturday - Monday: Nelson riding. Being a trailbuilder, I've been pining to see Mark Holts stuff for a long time. Mark has advised me to just come in the shop and he'll get me sorted for rides.

Cheers,
EB

#12 ·
ebxtreme said:
Dawgprimo.......got it! Check your inbox.

GMX, my wife and I will be in Rossland Wednesday night.

Our tentative plans.

We're gonna ride 7 Summits on Thursday the 25th and do some more FR stuff on Friday. Weather or other things could change that around, but I figured I'd get a longer xc ride over with sooner than later.

Friday night, we're gonna head to Nelson. Camping at a location TBD.

Saturday - Monday: Nelson riding. Being a trailbuilder, I've been pining to see Mark Holts stuff for a long time. Mark has advised me to just come in the shop and he'll get me sorted for rides.

Cheers,
EB
You're gonna love Marks stuff!!!

I am a bit uncertain about the weekend. We might do 7 summits on saturday or sunday (I hear its raining right now so there may be snow on top). If not, will probably stick around Nelson. Hopefully our schedules can mesh and we can hook up for a ride. If not, no worries. I'll PM you contact info and you can give me a shout or drop me an email on the weekend. If we can't hook up have a great time riding.

#13 ·
snowy summits

Red Mountain and Record Ridge were looking pretty in their fresh blanket of white today, visible once the heavy cloud/fog lifted. The snow level is reported to be dropping to 1500m overnight so I suspect most of the trail will ride better on skis than tires for the time being.

#14 ·
Got a day of riding in with Dawgprimo in Rossland on Friday. We rode Whiskey and Whoopity Doo. So cool to hook up with him again after a couple of years. Hope the ankle's ok, Kev!

Saturday, we headed to Nelson and then we met up with GMX and rode some of the mountain station stuff. FYI, all of the lower trails are now open......even though there are some signs and tape still up from the recent road building. We didn't know that so we skipped Legalize it, but we still rode Lower Spacejunk, Smiling Buddha, Five Knuckle Huckle, ASG and a couple others. Super fun stuff!

We rode 7 summits on Sunday with GMX, his brother and a few other Nelson locals. Unbelievable weather, killer trail and perfect views!! With my wife slogging on the climbs, us stopping for lots and lots of pics and waiting for our doggies (yes, they are now IMBA epic dogs) on the last descent, it took us 6 1/2 hours.......but we were on Kootenay time and in no hurry to finish such an incredible ride! :thumbsup: Many thanks to Gord for hooking up with us and helping on the shuttle accommodations.

Pics to follow.

Cheers,
EB

P.S. I'll be heading back to the Kootenay's next summer for sure! Amazing part of the world.

#15 ·
Glad to see that you were able to get in the 7 Summits....:D
It is an amazing trail!!
And the weather was stellar for it on Sunday from what I hear.
(look forward to some pixs.)
I'll bet the boys (or should I say IMBA epic dogs) slept good that night.

It was great to hook up with you and c in Rossland.
To bad I needed to test out the armour and helmut on that drop.........
the ankle is lovely color of purple and swollen but I was at work Monday morning.:thumbsup:

Here is a pic of Air EB in fine form on one of the many gaps on Whoopity Doo.
Chow,
kc

Attachments

#16 ·
ebx: it was great meeting you folks! I had awesome rides both days. I have to admit my legs were a bit stiff on Monday but nothing a quick roadie ride and some beer couldn't fix.

Glad to hear you're thinking of heading back. Next time we'll have to do the Vein (so glad we didn't do it Saturday) or the Burn and we'll start the 7 summits from Clancy's and end at the Steam Shovel :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.