mtbr member
    Jul 2011

7-day BC Bike Race?

curious to learn more about what kind of bikes tend to do well in the annual 7-day BC Bike Race -- full suspension 26er versus full suspension 29er? female to male ratio of participants (thinking about doing it next year with my wife)? any suggestions as to how a 2011 Spec Stumpy FSR Elite (26er) would fare in such a race?

appreciate any insights. have scoured the website regarding the race details/rules/etc, but have not found specific descriptions of the actual trails that will be covered in the race.

ups and downs
    4" to 5" travel FS bikes with 26" wheels have been the popular faves, as there is lots of tight and twisty singletrack. But there's nothing that would preclude 29" wheel bikes. A hardtail would beat you up but it has been done on hardtails.

Go for durability over super lightweight. There's been lots of photos of broken ultralight frames, and those you can't fix out in the middle of no where. The service support crew will have drivetrain parts available but nothing frame specific. Bring some spare derailleur hangers.

They change many of the specific trails every year, but they all have the same general flavour.

BC Bike Race || a Seven Day Mountain Bike Stage Race from Vancouver to Whistler, BC, Canada

and there's always Dre's FAQ section....

BC Bike Race || a Seven Day Mountain Bike Stage Race from Vancouver to Whistler, BC, Canada
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Go for gearing that lets you spin too. Most 1x10 and singlespeeders start hating themselves after 2-3 days. NTIAWT
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I did it in 2011 on a FS carbon 29r and I weigh north of 200 lbs.. I saw tons of 29r's both FS and hard tail. If you are not going for the win I would recommend ridding whatever you will be comfortable with as there will be some long days. I have had some friends do the comp distance with spouses and they are still married . If things go bad just see Danielle and she will fix you up. Lots of very strong ladies doing the epic as well. The only broken frames I saw were on people not bikes.

JK

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I believe Norrona posts up some YouTube videos of the stages so look at those.

Like Lee said bring gears

A couple years ago there was a half dozen cracked CF frames by the time the race got to my neck of the woods

ups and downs
    A bike victim from the 2012 Campbell River stage, posted on Facebook by one of the neutral support mechanics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7-day BC Bike Race?-bcbr-victim.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I just finished this year's race. It was a great experience for my fiancee and me.

I ride an older Enduro and it took a little beating. For the most part, the trails are quite flowy and rooty and awesome. Once you get to the gravity enduro dh sections....and Whistler, to rocks come out. My brake rotors were replaced. Two days straight spokes broke in the rear. A lot of guys had tire issues and chain breaks. The mud in the first 2 days took a toll of a few derailleurs.

My fiancee rides a Norco Sight 2 and it held up well.

There were a lot of 29ers - a few guys said they were great on the flowy smoother trails, but on the tight, rooty, slow sections, they weren't as good.

Hope that helps.

@adelorenzo
    A half dozen guys from my town did the race this year. Three guys made the top 30 and they were on a 29er full suspension, 29er hardtail and 26-inch full suspension. So basically I'd say run what you brung and make sure you maintain it well.

My wife is registered for next year and she'll be racing on a 5.5-inch travel carbon Yeti.

mtbr member
    Looking at possibly doing this race next year with a friend but have a question or two. I see that this year's race sold out around the end of March. Has this been fairly typical or does it vary a lot from year to year?

It seems that registrations are transferrable based on the website info. Is there a particular place that people tend to advertise these when looking to transfer? Does this happen often or is it pretty rare to see an entry advertised for transfer? Of course it's hard to account for those that are transferred from one buddy to another but trying to get a handle on those that "get out into the public domain".

Thanks.

mtbr member
    BC Bike Race || a Seven Day Mountain Bike Stage Race from Vancouver to Whistler, BC, Canada Those trails look incredible, completely opposite from AZ trails.
    I would love to go out there and just ride those trails without blowing two grand on the race.
    Is there some local website with descriptions, maps, etc.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I would love to make this ride

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Those trails look incredible, completely opposite from AZ trails.
    I would love to go out there and just ride those trails without blowing two grand on the race.
    Is there some local website with descriptions, maps, etc.

Thanks
    Where to ride in Western Canada? is a good starting point.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

BC Bike Race - General Info

Quote Originally Posted by weekendthrasher View Post
    curious to learn more about what kind of bikes tend to do well in the annual 7-day BC Bike Race -- full suspension 26er versus full suspension 29er? female to male ratio of participants (thinking about doing it next year with my wife)? any suggestions as to how a 2011 Spec Stumpy FSR Elite (26er) would fare in such a race?

appreciate any insights. have scoured the website regarding the race details/rules/etc, but have not found specific descriptions of the actual trails that will be covered in the race.
    Hey There
    I just wanted to jump in and add my two cents ;

Bikes: 26, 27.5 or 29 are fine, but squish should be in the 4 or 5 range, this just makes for a more enjoyable experience - while bikes a number of years ago were breaking, we haven't seen as much carnage since manufacturers have stepped up their technology. If we all go back far enough we will see that everything has it's day - and today the bikes are rad, durable and a joy to pedal.
    Racing full boar seems to favour the 29, while simply riding and enjoying allows for 29, 27.5 and 26 to all be enjoyed - I myself have done all six events and have used both 26 and 29 with very little to complain about either, currently I also enjoy riding with a seat dropper as well - let the equipment assist with the experience.

Trails: All of the videos and photo's viewed on the BC Bike Race website will give you an idea of the type of trails we include - we don't look for the hardest, just the flowy fun ones, but yes BC is very different than AZ, South Africa or Australia - pretty unique stuff and yes technical, but truthfully we aim for Blue Square as a whole and seven days of fun, but there are always things that have to be gotten around - hills (both up and down) roots, rocks, logs etc. Adjusting your local techniques to our area will take a little adaptation, but really mtb is mtb, change tires, be patient, let a little more air out (rock, dirt or mud) and carry on with the good times.

Gear or Gears: yes, imagine 7 days of pedaling, you will certainly get tired and if you have trained at all you will certainly improve and get stronger, but over this period of time, there will be highs and lows, while in a low, it is certainly nice to have gears - lots of them. Chains, Brake pads, hangers, of course, don't you bring them on most big rides? what would make this any different than heading out on an important Big Epic, make sure you and your bike are well tuned and ready for a big week of riding.

Riding the Event or Just riding; while I have toured many countries and many places I still enjoy the race format; I like to know the distance, I like to have food and drink support and I like to dig a little. During a tour you will ride to the speed of the lowest common denominatior and when someone has a mechanical you will all stop and wait, that's what we do while at home with group rides, when I go away I like to see as much of an area as I can and this in my opinion and if done 'head up' in a race will get you more overall riding, see more of the area and truly make your experience greater

BC Bike Race is not the toughest nor the longest but it does aim to be the most fun - we are what we are - a whole bunch of rad singletrack, so if that's what you like come on down to ride with us, oh and as things move into the 7th year we are also selling out faster, so no more fence sitting, you will have to decide sooner than later, currently the BC Bike Race is 93% sold out for 2013 - if you want to get a transfer spot later info@bcbikerace can assist with pairing you up with someone else trying to sell their entry.

Hope this answers some questions - if you need anymore info please contact info@bcbikerace we would love to talk bikes, trails or details.