Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

50-ish mile xc races in BC?

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  stick-boy1 
#1 ·
Looking for a 50-ish mile XC race in BC next season? Any suggestions?

Thanks

#2 ·
The Test of Metal in Squamish. Registration is new years day, and will probably fill up very quickly.

Gearjammer again in Squamish. I actually prefer this course to the Test of Metal course. Very well organized too.

JABR - Just Another Bike Race. More Squamish racing. I didn't race this one last year, but the course could use some tweaking in my opinion. Too much fire road. I'll probably do it anyways this year.

If you google test of metal the website will come up. Look on the right side for links to Gearjammer and JABR.

Nimby50. It's in Pemberton in the spring. I don't think there's a website for this one, but I raced it this year. Be prepared to climb! One of the tougher race courses in my opinion. I raced it with my 34lbs all mountain bike and pushed my bike for about an hour. Amazing course if you're fit and have a nice light XC bike!

For the ultimate test, look into the Four Kings in Whistler. Last year it was the Four Jacks, this year it was the Four Queens, so I'm assuming next year it'll be the Four Kings. 4 days. Downhill racing. XC time trial. Super D. Technical riding. Epic cross-country. Only one bike and no component changes! If riding in the Whistler bike park on a carbon fiber cross-country bike sounds like fun, this is your race!

If I could only pick one of these races it would be Gearjammer.

#5 ·
BC Bike Race?? Multi-day, muti-trail race through some of our most fabulous singletrack, takes place in July.

Cheakamus Challenge - Squamish to Whistler, takes place in Sept.

I think the folks who race the Four Jacks/Queens/Kings, etc.are indeed a special breed.
The thought of that race scares the bejeepers out of me but it sounds almost irresistable.

#6 ·
#8 ·
stick-boy1 said:
Also on Vancouver Island

Benson80 - 80km Nanaimo
http://www.benson80.com/
Huh, never knew about that one. Thanks stick-boy.

I might be moving down your way. I'll be looking for trails to work on. Which bike shop should I get in touch with to find out about that?

#10 ·
If you only pick one, I'd say BC Bike Race. You get some of everything. The year before last it covered some of the Benson 80, The Ramble, Cumberland and Forbidden Plateau on the Island. I haven't checked the route for this year.

Of the others mentioned I've only done the Ramble. The Benson 80 looks like a good route but I don't know those trails, I just know of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.