mtbr member
    Jul 2009

29er's in the lower mainland...help please

I've been looking into getting a hardtail 29er and am having some difficulty in choosing a suitable frame for our area. I currently ride a cove handjob with a reba race set at 100mm which I absolutely love. If they made a 29er version I would get one today, unfortunately they don't.

I ride seymour around 90% of my rides, sometimes over to fromme and then up to squamish at least once a month in the 'good months'. I do some of the events around here, test, nimby, salty dog and each year I like to venture into the states to do a 100 miler. Bikepacking is always on the menu in the good months aswell.

I'm looking for a few things, but mainly the opinions of people who ride big wheel bikes in these areas....

As mentioned I love my Cove but want something that doesn't feel so much like a bmx when I'm in the saddle pedaling all day, the move to 29 seems logical, at the same time I don't want something so long, steep and slow that I won't be able to ride the trails I currently do. Is there a slacker hardtail that may be better suited to North Van tech/steeps?

slacker head angle, 70 or so
    shorter rear end 17.5 or less.
    no aluminum, steel or eek ti possibly

Kona unit comes to mind (sold out in my size for 2011)
    custom options (pricey but if that's all that's available)
    canfield?
    chromag prototyping 29er frames?

I may cross post this in 29ers. I would love to hear from the 29er riders here in BC.
    Thanks a tonne!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Addy - there aren't many 29er owners in the Lower Mainland. There's a fairly active thread about it on the nsmb forums though. Perhaps ask there. I've only got 29er FS experience and none on hardtails
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

ups and downs
    Different Bikes in North Van has been building a bunch of 29er hardtails and FS bikes, mostly Niners but other stuff too, wander in and talk to Craig about 29ers on the North Shore. He rides 29ers almost exclusively.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thank you Lee and rocky. I started to sift through the 35 pages on the NSMB forum and found some interesting and helpful info in there. A chat with Craig will be in order this weekend maybe on my way back from bikefest.
    Thanks for the direction guys.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Addy Marx View Post
    Thank you Lee and rocky. I started to sift through the 35 pages on the NSMB forum and found some interesting and helpful info in there. A chat with Craig will be in order this weekend maybe on my way back from bikefest.
    Thanks for the direction guys.
    I have an 18 inch 2011 Kona Unit frame for sale if you are interested. It is brand new.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi cap are you still rolling on that brown unit you had done up. That is a sweet looking rig, care to comment on how it rides? anything you'd prefer or change on it?

I've heard rumblings of the 2012's coming soon and kona shortening up the rear end and slacking the head angle on either the unit or a new steel rig. I'm not in a huge rush to get a bike yet so I'm going to sit tight until I see the 12's. I may be interested once those are out though. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Not sure f you are still looking for a 29er,
    I have a 29er with a 2011 Trek paragon frame( never ridden) with the components from from 2009 fisher paragon on it.
    29ers are finally gaining the reespect they deserve in BC

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    You should give Ian at Chromag a call. The new Surface 29er will be in production in late August. It sounds very promising. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks stoats,
    I've been in touch with Ian from Chromag for the last month over. You're right, the Surface looks to be very promising.