Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

XTR 970 or XT 770 crank arms: Which one?

I would be using the rings off the XT crank with a Black Spire small. The XT crankset is new and the XTR is used. I would think the XTR would be stiffer.

Your thoughts?

Epic rider
    Probably just about equal stiffness but the XTR is lighter.
    12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

IllumaDucati
    In my opinion, unless you're going to run without a front derailleur, you'd be better off selling the XT cranks and buying a set of three XTR M970 chainrings for the XTR M970 cranks, which would give you the excellent shifting they're known for.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I was wondering if the XTR crank arms were much lighter then the XT crank arms. I don't like the need for special tools with the 970 XTR. I tried Blackspire rings on the XTR and they didn't shift very well for me....

ups and downs
    The XTR crank arms are lighter, but not an astounding amount lighter. The XTR 970 series chainrings are what make those cranks worthwhile (and expensive). So if you weren't planning on using the XTR rings then you might as well go with the XT crank arms.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    The XTR crank arms are lighter, but not an astounding amount lighter. The XTR 970 series chainrings are what make those cranks worthwhile (and expensive). So if you weren't planning on using the XTR rings then you might as well go with the XT crank arms.
    +1 I've always read that the weight savings and benefits were in the chain rings but I'm sure the crank arms are a little lighter. If the price difference isn't much, I'd probably go with the XTR crank arms just for the bling factor. I'm sure you'll notice very little difference either one you choose.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    My M970 cranks are at 535gr and M770 at 592gr. My SLX arms are 592gr also! I see the same level of detail in the 32t chairing for all 3 models only the weights are different (42g, 55g and 62g). The XTR big ring is much thicker so it's stiffer and shifts better but has the same weight as the other 2.

So for me it would be a choice between XTR (weight) vs SLX (value). I see no valid point to choose XT cranks over SLX.

For comparison my Raceface Deus arms are at 543gr.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I bought XTR cranks on eBay without chainrings and then bought extralite chainrings. Cheaper and lighter. YMMV