mtbr member

XPEDO pedals - review

Sorry about the bad grammer. I'm typing in a hurry.

I've been running the new wellgo xpedo pedals all summer. I got the cheaper stainless version to try out. To make a long story short I'm now going to order the ti/ti.

I've been running eggs for a few years now. I had the 1st gen and the 2nd stainless generation. The newer ones have a much better bearing interface.

I've been using the set on my road and mtb bike. At first there was a slight learning curve on getting in and out. Similar to the learning curve going from spd to eggs. The xpedos did not feel smooth getting in and out at first, but I still gave them an honest run. The entry and release have smoothed considerably over time.

With the eggs I always seemed to have a hard time unclipping in reflex situations. Due to having to twist your heel a lil further than my previous spds. I had the release angle set to the smallest angle and I also had the cleats turned a bit to help quicken the release.

Other problems I was having with the eggs were the short cleat lifespan and grooves wearing in the sole of my shoes which made the connection between the shoe and pedal kind of wobbley. With the xpedos my foot feels much more stable.

The bearings are still running smooth on the xpedos.

mtbr member

ohw are the Xped's.....

in mud situatuations compared to SPD? Also how are they in clipping out and in?

Quote Originally Posted by xl_cheese

I've been running the new wellgo xpedo pedals all summer. I got the cheaper stainless version to try out. To make a long story short I'm now going to order the ti/ti.

I've been running eggs for a few years now. I had the 1st gen and the 2nd stainless generation. The newer ones have a much better bearing interface.

I've been using the set on my road and mtb bike. At first there was a slight learning curve on getting in and out. Similar to the learning curve going from spd to eggs. The xpedos did not feel smooth getting in and out at first, but I still gave them an honest run. The entry and release have smoothed considerably over time.

With the eggs I always seemed to have a hard time unclipping in reflex situations. Due to having to twist your heel a lil further than my previous spds. I had the release angle set to the smallest angle and I also had the cleats turned a bit to help quicken the release.

Other problems I was having with the eggs were the short cleat lifespan and grooves wearing in the sole of my shoes which made the connection between the shoe and pedal kind of wobbley. With the xpedos my foot feels much more stable.

mtbr member

Bearings or bushings?

Quote Originally Posted by xl_cheese

Do you know if the xpedos use bearings (ball/roller) or bushings (like the eggs do)

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tommasini
    Do you know if the xpedos use bearings (ball/roller) or bushings (like the eggs do)
    They have 1 cartridge bearing and 1 bushing per pedal.
    I have about 1000 offroad miles on mine and they're holding up great. I've found that shimano SH51 cleats work better than the supplied wellgo cleats. They seem to be more predictable. As far as clipping in and out, they are a little rough the first couple of rides but then they work great. They remind me of 959's in that they have a very distinct click when clipping in or out.

ballbuster

heh, they even have that blue grease

I jsut picked up a set of Wellgo MA18 Ti pedals, and after one ride, I love them. I guess xpedo is high end of wellgo.

I just gotta say, the MA18s are stupid light. I love 'em!

For the record, the Wellgos are one catridge bearing and one DU bushing, IIRC. I have not taken them apart, but they spin pretty freely. More so than the Eggbeater Candies that all my buds are riding these days.

mtbr member

Weight Limit?

I was wondering if the lower end pedals such as the Xpeddo SL/CA and MAG/SL like the Ti/Ti ones have?

The pedals look interesting, especially as an alturnitive to using Eggies or Candy's which I have heard alot of bad things about *ponders* SPD interface is good to...

*Runs off to buy some*
    -Cul
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Further review...

My Ti/Ti set of Wellgo says they're rated to something like 85 kg (187#) and the Mag/Ti version (mag bodies) are also at this limit. Apparently the limint is based on the durability of the Ti axle.

My first impression of the Xpedos (compared to the Shimano 959s that I adore) was that entry was EASIER than on my 959s. I'm still using my old Shimano SH-51 cleats with both sets of pedals (two bikes) and notice no slop or play in release. Further examination shows that the smaller body of the Xpedos interfere less with the soles of my Specialized shoes than do the 959s, and thus, produce an easier engagement.

As far as mud goes, I have had NO problems with them, just like the 959s. The guts of the pedal appears to have even more internal clearance, so I would guess that they would only be better than the newer shimano pedals. That used to be my gripe about shimano pedals, but they fixed it with the 959 (and following) series of pedals, and I haven't had any problems since with either the 959s or Xpedos in sticky situations.

My only complaint is this. The Ti bodies on the Ti-Ti version are REALLY small. Not like it's a strength issue, but the front claw has some really small corners that are actually fairly sharp, due to their small width. Every time I spin a tire or have to stop in a near crash situation, it seems like I manage to cut my calves, knees, or shins on these pedals somehow. Nothing severe, but certainly something that never happened with my big smooth 959s. The Mag bodies appear to be a bit thicker, but it's most likely my clumsiness that causes the pedals to continue making contact with my shins.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How are they to work on

I noticed the picture up there of the internals.
    Are they easy to work on. My older SPDs are a real pain.

How hard is it to open up and remove the axle to lube or replace the bearing?

Is the cartridge bearing something that can be replaced at home.

thanks

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    what I find comical about the pedals is you if look back thru mags this spring, they advertised the SAME pedals under three model/brand names over the course of three months of MBAs.

First they called them Speedclips, then Wellgo Sparks, and then Xpedo.

mtbr member
    I weigh 75kg and have been running Xpedo Ti/Ti for 3 months.

They have done approx. 2k road miles and 200 off road miles.

My only feedback is that they have developed a tiny amount of play. The rubber seals at the crank end of the pedal make a squelchly sound.

I need to strip them down and give them a service at some point.

As far as I can gather they have an Al dust cap at teh end of the pedal and a nut holding the pedal to the axle. I'm new to bike mechanics, and ride 30 miles a day road (commute). I'm not confident enough I can get them serviced during the week and ready for use the following morning.

Come the weekend, I'll fully strip them down, re-grease and tighten.

I was very pleased with the weight Vs cost. I got a Ti/Ti pair for $155. weighed in at an honest 198g!

Previously I ran P959's and they are essentially the same pedal but lighter. Not sure they would stand up to the same impact as a P959, but they are almost half the weight! Only one serious rock collision so far and they held up fine.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Don't buy the Mag-versions

I've got a pair of SS/Cr, and a pair of Ti/Ti, and they are both great. I've also got a pair of Mag/Cr, and they are horrible! The pedal body is very wide in the front, and interferes with all shoes I've tried so far. It's almost impossible to unclip in emergency situations, but doable when you know you're going to unclip.

Ole.

ballbuster

Wups! Thats MG-18

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I jsut picked up a set of Wellgo MA18 Ti pedals, and after one ride, I love them. I guess xpedo is high end of wellgo.

For the record, the Wellgos are one catridge bearing and one DU bushing, IIRC. I have not taken them apart, but they spin pretty freely. More so than the Eggbeater Candies that all my buds are riding these days.
    sorry about that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    sorry about that.
    The MG18 is the equivalent of what in Xpedo?

ballbuster

none, really

Quote Originally Posted by danK
    The MG18 is the equivalent of what in Xpedo?
    I don't think there is an equivelant.

It has a cast magnisium body with SPDs on each side, and painted black.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

I have run through two pairs this summer...

I am super impressed with the weight and price. The ease of entry and exit does rival 959's, after some breakin, but there is definitely something more substantial about the 959's overall. Smooth for me so far. only complaints are rough "spin" of the spindle compared to other high end, and definite play at the spindle to rubber gasket interface,after a few hundred hours of riding Pretty bad on my main off road pair. I will attempt to service soon. Overall, would definately purchase again, but more for my cross or race oriented MTB. i LOVE them on my road bike, BTW!

MTBR Tool

What cleats are you using?

Sorry for the thread jack but what cleats are you using w/your MG18's - are they spd compatible?

ballbuster

Yep...

Quote Originally Posted by Srexy
    Sorry for the thread jack but what cleats are you using w/your MG18's - are they spd compatible?
    ... they are. I got a set of M7's thinking they were SPDs, but they weren't. I returned them and swapped them for the MG18s

Here's the link at Supergo:

http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?L...604&referpage=

and a pic, although they only had black in the stores. Too bad, I would have prefered silver:

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Just got a set of ti/ti Expedos and have only a few rides on them.
    They feel just a little rougher to get out of then the 959s, but probably just because they'er new. If they don't loosen up, I'm going to work on them. Otherwise, I dig 'em.
    My ancient machincal scale says one ways 104 and the other 106g.
    The cast ti body is intriguing.