mtbr member

XG 1099 durability?

I'm trying to build up a reasonably light, but durable XC FS bike. I've been running it 1x9, but I'm thinking about making the jump to 1x10 with a type2 derailleur and a wolf tooth cog (eliminating the current chain keeper). It will basically be a budget x01/xx1 minus a gear. I started out wanting to go x01, but I just don't need that much range, been very happy with 1x9 for a long time.

Anyway, I'm trying to find out if the XG 1099 holds up OK under hard usage. I can get one for around $225.

Is the 1080 any more durable.

TIA

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    The XG-1099 wears great, as long as you time your shifts properly. If you can't get yourself to do that, then the 345g PG-1070 lasts an incredibly long time.....even when shifting under hard climbing loads.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    I've been running the 1080's on my last couple bikes and really like it, I'm a trail/XC rider but have had hardly any discernible wear on mine. I considered spending the extra $50 for the 1099 to save another 40-50 grams over the 1080 but was unsure of the wear and the price difference paid for most of the Infinite Black chain ring.

I run an X01 crankset with infinite black no-drop direct mount ring, no chain guide, the xg-1080 cassette, and X9 type 2 medium cage rear, works perfectly and is light.

Just like you I didn't need the 11 speed cassette, I had been running 1x9 and 1x10 just fine for the last couple years, I just get to drop the chain guide and eliminate chain slap on the new set-up. And the X01 crankset was crazy light, on my scale the arms and 3 retaining screws for the chainring were 473 grams and the infinite black 32t ring was 53 grams, so I'm at 526 w/o the bb.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    I would not go with the XG 1099. Granted, from a WW perspective it is hard to beat, but the largest cog (ALU) will probably let you down first. There was an indication from SRAM that you could replace it, but at the time I gave up on it last year, there was no source for it.

Sadly, I still see references to replacing this cog - see the description here:
    XG-1099 10 spd Cassette

(If they have since released this cog, please correct me, and post a link to purchase.)

With due respect to Zacharia - and I agree with his point - you can extend the life of any given cassette through careful shifting. But hey, sometimes I shift roughly, or at a bad time. I don't want to worry about a $300 cassette that becomes a paperweight when I wear that cog. (And with a 1X you'd want it.)

It's a shame though, because the single piece of milled cassette portion is a thing of beauty, and you can't beat the weight. However I moved to XTR, added a bit of weight, and never looked back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quick question on the difference between SRAM's XG-1099 (CNC-milled) and XG-1080 (stamped) cassettes. Do both use aluminum for the largest cog or is it just the lighter 1099 cassette? I see both stories on the 'ol errornet.

Example of 1080 using an aluminum 36t cog: SRAM Cassette XG-1080 | Competitive Cyclist

The manufacturer links didn't shed any insight unless I missed it, which wouldn't be the first time!

SRAM XG-1080 Cassette | SRAM

SRAM XG-1099 Cassette | SRAM
    Last edited by Johnny Rad; 11-30-2013 at 09:26 PM.
    Scott Addict, sub 5.6kg

WTB: Enve 34.9 seatpost

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure the 1080 also uses aluminum for the largest cog.

I went with the 1099. I was a little concerned about the aluminum large cog, but I rationalized it this way. I'm going to run a spiderless 30T upfront for most of my riding. This will keep me out of the 36T almost all of the time. If I'm going to be on a really high speed trail I might run a 34T upfront, but that is very rare for me.

Anyway, I got the 1099 but have not installed it yet, It is a beautiful work of machining. At 200 grams it is 100grams lighter than my previous cassette.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Follow-up questions:

I've read it's the aluminum 36t cog that's wearing out prematurely (or at least faster than the other cogs). So, this seems to apply to both the XG-1099 and 1080 cassettes.

What about the other cogs?! Do the other cogs on the CNC-milled XG-1099 cassette wear out faster than the stamped steel XG-1080?
    Scott Addict, sub 5.6kg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rad View Post
    Follow-up questions:

I've read it's the aluminum 36t cog that's wearing out prematurely (or at least faster than the other cogs). So, this seems to apply to both the XG-1099 and 1080 cassettes.

What about the other cogs?! Do the other cogs on the CNC-milled XG-1099 cassette wear out faster than the stamped steel XG-1080?
    The 1099 and 1080 cogs should wear about the same. Both are made of 4130 chromoly steel.

After further research it seems that the xx1 cassette is the same basic materials and process as the 1099. I think they had some issues with durability early on with the 1099, but I got the impression that they have it figured out now. I hope mine holds up.

I installed my new drivetrain today.
    - 1099 cassette
    - x0 type 2 short cage
    - x0 shifter
    - wolf tooth components drop stop 32T chainring

It is amazing. No chain noise at all and very crisp and light.

I had a 30T ready to install, but it felt like overkill with the 36T out back, so I decided to use it on another bike that is still 9spd.

ups and downs
    My experience with the XG-999 cassette was that it only worked with SRAM chain, if I ran XTR chain with the asymmetric inner and outer plates, it chewed the daylights out of the alloy cog in hours of riding and it did not like running the big cog with the middle chainring. But with SRAM chain it all worked fine. I imagine the 10 speed cassette with a single ring up front would be similar because of the chainline. You would likely have decent reliability as long as you use the SRAM chain.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Do you have any wearing problem with your aluminium chainring? I donīt understand why you should have it with a 36t aluminium cog.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu24h View Post
    Do you have any wearing problem with your aluminium chainring? I donīt understand why you should have it with a 36t aluminium cog.
    Yes aluminum chainrings do wear pretty fast compared to steel. I've worn one down in 2 months of use.

I'm curious to see how well the new narrow wide (xx1) type rings hold up over time. I'm guessing it will last longer with a more controlled chain.

Chainrings are pretty cheap to replace. Having to replace the entire cassette is the concern with these expensive cassettes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Therefore, I conclude the 1099 shouldn't wear any faster than the 1080 (and specifically the 36t cog since they're both aluminum). I'm going big! 1099 for me...

I'm a KMC chain man, which have always played well with SRAM and Shimano road cassettes.
    Scott Addict, sub 5.6kg

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've had great lick with the 1099 XX 11-36 cassettes. I ran one for two seasons and it still wasn't bad enough to toss. Ended up selling it to another who still has it going strong.

Think about how fast you wear chainrings out, that's basically what you've got on the 36T alu cog I know, I know, it's a bit thinner, but you still aren't in it that often. The rest of the cassette is steel. I think it's a great place to save some weight, for just a few bucks more.

I also agree that these work better with Sram chains. Although, I did run a DA7900 on there for a while... it was OK. But, the 1090R seemed a bit smoother.