mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Xc bikes: what is your choice for a light helmet and shoes?

When building a light bike, it is easy to forgette importance of light shoes... and i suppose even a helmet.

Any opinions on a light helmet (safe!!! Ideally with visor)! And clipless shoes that are xc appropriate?

Thanks for the insight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Xc bikes: what is your choice for a light helmet and shoes?

I've been using the MET Veleno, but it seems that they have phased out this series..
    I believe the successor model is the Lupo series?
    Although I'm sure there's probably other brands like OGK Kabuto that make even lighter helmets.

As for shoes, for lightweight xc ones, I believe sidi makes some of the lightest available in the market, but those can be quite costly. I think they incorporate carbon fiber into their designs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have a Kali Maraka XC and use the Dominator Fit for shoes. You can always find good deals on shoes if you're not too concerned about having the latest colors. I buy all my shoes on sale. Most important thing for me when it comes to shoes is 1: the fit, and 2: a nice stiff sole. I haven't really found the weight of my riding shoes to be too big of an issue.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've been using a Giro Aeon for the last 7-8 years.

For shoes, my old Louis Garneau T-Flex 300 are starting to fall appart so I got a new pair of Louis Garneau MTB Graphite.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Personally, for helmets, I would get what fits your head well and either MIPS or is well engineered from a reputable company. Then look for a sale. I got a Troy Lee A1 about a year ago for about $60. Killer helmet, super comfy, looks cool, and a lot of protection.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    I'm a huge WW but wouldn't consider weight as an obstacle on the helmet. Agree with jestep that MIPS is probably the way to go, and that may add a bit of weight.

As for shoes, one thing to note is that the fancier ratchet tightening systems are actually heavier than plan old velcro. Boa probably in between. I believe the lightest shoes available are now the S-Works 6 XC, but @ $400, pffft!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Bontrager has some cheaper decently light helmets that fit my head well. I've been using the specter for a few years. I like giro codes for shoes, I've gotten two sets on closeout for sub $100 and they're pretty light too.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Agree on the mips. I run a giro mips with a visor currently. Safe, looks good, and the visor has saved me from branches, and rain.

Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    I'm a huge WW but wouldn't consider weight as an obstacle on the helmet. Agree with jestep that MIPS is probably the way to go, and that may add a bit of weight.

As for shoes, one thing to note is that the fancier ratchet tightening systems are actually heavier than plan old velcro. Boa probably in between. I believe the lightest shoes available are now the S-Works 6 XC, but @ $400, pffft!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    This was near the top of my list, as the lbs has them also. 250g and mils. There is a 203g s-works helmet too... for near the same money, but no mips.

Quote Originally Posted by sfer1 View Post

mtbr member
    Very happy with my specialized ambush helmet. Under 300g, visor, very secure fit, best ventilation I've experienced, and more coverage than a normal xc helmet.

Currently using sidi cape shoes and am looking for something lighter.

mtbr member
    I have Specialized S-Works helmets for 10 years. Very light and reliable, excellent ventilation. The current model is the Prevail II S-Works.
    You canít live at all, unless you can live fully, now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliding_serpent View Post
    This was near the top of my list, as the lbs has them also. 250g and mips. There is a 203g s-works helmet too... for near the same money, but no mips.
    It fits my head better than any helmet I've owned to date. And I think it looks much better than any Specialized helmet.

mtbr member
    I'd check out the Fizik RB1's. My Sidi Dominators are indestructible but they are truly bricks.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    When I bought my Sidi Cape shoes, I had just assumed they were light due to the price. Turns out they are over 400g each without cleats! I've been having issues with the sole flexing more than I like so the past few days I've been doing a little research for light shoes.

For my foot shape and features that I wanted, the S works 6 xc seems to be the best option, and I expect to save around 130g per foot. These don't look nearly as durable as my Sidis, but it's very rare for me to walk much on trails. I'll just have to get out of the practice of kicking sticks and limbs off the trail as I ride

For a budget weight weenie shoe, the Shimano XC5 looks like a nice option. I would have gone with those, but it's not uncommon for me to adjust my shoes a click or two on long rides, so laces wouldn't work. The retail for $150 and are listed at 301g.

mtbr member
    The specialized shoes came in last night. I got a short ride in on my trainer, and had no major issues with the fit or feel. The real test will come when I get a chance for a 4+ hour ride on the mountain bike. Also, specialized and sidi seem to differ by about 1 shoe size. I was a 45 in sidi and about a 44 in specialized.

Sidi Cape with SPD = 940g

Specialized with SPD = 620g

Total Savings = 320g

Xc bikes: what is your choice for a light helmet and shoes?-img_20180117_190240866.jpg

EDIT: Just got an email from specialized that s works 7 is coming in February

EDIT 2: After a couple rides on my trainer, I've decided to return the shoes and exchange them for something else. Specialized soles slope to the outside which works very well for most people, but apparently it doesn't work for me. They felt great in the saddle, but threw off my balance and had weird pressure points when I was out of the saddle. Since I spend a lot of time out of the saddle riding and racing singlespeeds, these shoes just won't work.
    Last edited by coke; 01-21-2018 at 07:25 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I have been wearing this helmet for 3 months. It's great. Light, MIPS.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Specialized makes the lightest shoes and helmets around and the air flow is exceptional.
    I feel weird running an road style helmet on dirt and use the ambush, which is very light for an enduro helmet.
    Shoes and pedals are rotating mass and make a bigger difference in performance than bike weight.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I am looking at the giro empire vr90 for shoes, and i have a scott centric plus on order. The problem with the specialized helmet is not mips... my brain is my living, and i want to save it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Xc bikes: what is your choice for a light helmet and shoes?-784033fd-5bf6-4add-be9d-749f57ea7873.jpg

Giro empire vr90 it is. 315g. My lbs got me a great price on a set.

mtbr member
    Scott Centric Plus.
    Guys ... this is a weightweenie forum: you do not post manufacturers weights but instead nicely verified weights on a digital scale!

The Scott is reported on their Web site at 290 grams https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/p...us-cpsc-helmet, and it is unclear which size they refer to (probably the small).

My Troy Lee A1 MIPS is a bit porky at 341 medium/large Xc bikes: what is your choice for a light helmet and shoes?-img_0046.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Haha. Just be mindful that that helmet comes in two standards, and one is 50g heavier. The ce is the lighter one by a claimed 40g (250g vs 290g)

mtbr member
    Xc bikes: what is your choice for a light helmet and shoes?-scott-centric-plus-m.jpg

Scott Centric Plus (CE)
    Size: M

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Nice. Ehat scale are you using? My park tool does no do decimals

mtbr member

Scott Centric Plus (CE)
    Size: M
    thank you! A bit minimalist for MTB but it is light!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliding_serpent View Post
    Nice. Ehat scale are you using? My park tool does no do decimals
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D09A5R0

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    nevermind.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I do have a problem. ;-D.

I just ordered a scale that goes to 0.01g. 16$ on amazon. More for the bolts and stuff like that. I figure why not. Haha

mtbr member
    Shimano XC9 size 44 with SPD cleats = 786g. Weight for shoes alone was 735.

I wasn't aware bike shoes could be so comfortable. Tried them on last night and didn't really think about them until my wife pointed out I was still wearing them around the house.

These are heavier than the Specialized I returned, but the finish and build quality seems to be better. There were several little things not quite right with specialized, but I couldn't find a single thread out of place on the shimanos.

Xc bikes: what is your choice for a light helmet and shoes?-shim1.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Got the time to weight my Giro Aeon (185g), my old Louis Garneau TFlex 300 shoes (934g with Shimano cleats) and my new Louis Garneau Graphite shoes (741g with Shimano cleats). Here are the pictures.

Xc bikes: what is your choice for a light helmet and shoes?-img_20180404_195243025.jpgXc bikes: what is your choice for a light helmet and shoes?-img_20180404_195323577.jpgXc bikes: what is your choice for a light helmet and shoes?-img_20180404_195346434.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Xc bikes: what is your choice for a light helmet and shoes?-2df84d50-f344-4c95-a66d-8561b9bee7b5.jpg

Scott centric plus (ce). I just would not consider a non mips helmet. Protecting your brain is not a place where you want to sacrafice safety. This is lighter than cpsc standard (250 vs 300g) as per scott. The above post has it at 258g or so in medium, which is close to factory reported weights. So it is interesting that my size large is a whopping 305g (claimed 310g on the helmet label). Small must be closer to 200g.

Very comfortable. The giro i had was medium, and still heavier. In hindsight the medium was a bit tight. It is toast now... the centric plus destroys it for comfort.

Xc bikes: what is your choice for a light helmet and shoes?-37a4af9f-abd3-4e20-8fe6-03aa7abd681c.jpg

Xc bikes: what is your choice for a light helmet and shoes?-972b4231-b929-4a8f-b9f2-9013acaf83dd.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Xc bikes: what is your choice for a light helmet and shoes?-d6e25fdf-f74c-4047-86d7-14487d58bdf3.jpg

Xc bikes: what is your choice for a light helmet and shoes?-28a0e9af-151c-40a9-a75a-4e6e7dd37c71.jpg

Xc bikes: what is your choice for a light helmet and shoes?-60d9869d-1620-4ec6-8645-3c1c7843c016.jpg

Xc bikes: what is your choice for a light helmet and shoes?-6c85da01-04b0-405c-b94b-cea28fb0c8c8.jpg

My giro empire shoes come a bit overweight. Size 9.5. The cleats are for crankbrothers eggbeater 11 tiís. Love the shoes!!!