mtbr member
    Dec 2006

WW Gurus...help my Sette Razzo 2.0 29er become anorexic

OK...so I had a major budget, and just enjoyed my first ride on my 29er. I beat my time that I had set on my 21-22# carbon 26er hardtail, despite the bike being 4# heavier. Big wheels work (but we aren't here to argue about that). Now help my mind block on the 4 extra pounds go away.

Current build specs

18in Sette Razzo Frame: 1587 grams
    RockShox Reba RL 80mm
    SRAM X7 rear shifter (ditched the front for 1x9)
    SRAM X9 rear derailleur (long cage - may switch to short eventually)
    Avid Elixir CR brakes w/ 160mm rotors
    Truvativ Stylo cranks (ditched all rings but 32t)
    E.13 XCX chain guide
    Shimano CS-HG61 29er Cassette 12-36
    Sram PC-951 chain
    FSA Orbit XLII 1 1/8 integrated headset
    Bars switched to Race Face Next SL risers (love these bars)
    Sette lock on grips
    Sette Edge 31.8mm 100mm stem (129grams)
    Sette Raz saddle (226g)
    Sette APX seatpost (255g)
    Mavic 719 Disc Rims/Shimano Deore 29er Hubs
    Crank Bros Eggbeater SL pedals (no ti)
    Kenda Small Block Eight 29 x 2.1 front and rear

I know that cassette needs to go. My last 26in hard tail had the EXACT same gear ratio as the 32front/36 rear, so I want to leave that be to see if I will ever need the 36rear. If I make it the rest of the race season without "needing" it, I will drop this cassette like a bad habit and lose a good amount of weight.

The wheels will need to be postponed due to $ reasons...but that is the first true want that needs to be addressed. Probably Stan Arch's.

The Sette brand saddle, post, and stem are actually a pretty nice weight. The $ to gram ratio isn't all that in favor of replacing those, unless you guys have any good suggestions?

Likely going to switch the grips to ESI Chunkies. I also have a x9 grip shift that I may swap the x7 trigger shifter for (although I don't 100% love grip shifting).

What would you do if this was your bike? I know the wheels need to go...any suggestions there ($500 budget). What else would you do?
    El Guapoooooooo

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Ditch the Stylo crankset and go with SLX with your 32t ring. Should be a pretty decent weight savings. A lighter chain would be in order, too. Also, you can get Ti spindles for your eggbeaters for like $50 on eBay--drop quite a bit of weight from your SL's.
    My garage is a revolving door of bikes, wheelsets, & frames
    www.mtbdeals.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Bump your budget up around 50$, and get some Stan's ZTR Crest wheels with the new ZTR 3.30 hubs. This would be the most cost effective and make your bike feel a lot lighter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sslikesnake
    Ditch the Stylo crankset and go with SLX with your 32t ring. Should be a pretty decent weight savings. A lighter chain would be in order, too. Also, you can get Ti spindles for your eggbeaters for like $50 on eBay--drop quite a bit of weight from your SL's.
    Thanks for the response, but everything I found has the SLX cranks weighing 9 grams more than the Stylo.

I will have to look into chains. Never really thought to save much there (hence me being the worst weight weenie ever).
    El Guapoooooooo

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by COLINx86
    Bump your budget up around 50$, and get some Stan's ZTR Crest wheels with the new ZTR 3.30 hubs. This would be the most cost effective and make your bike feel a lot lighter.
    I get worried that the Crests might be a bit too light for me. I am 165-170 lb without gear, and with my heavy full camebak I would likely be pushing or over the weight limit.
    El Guapoooooooo

official eMpTyBRain
    Definately get the ESI grips, I love mine.

Get a KMC X10SL chain also.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    The first thing I would get would be the 2011 Stans Crests. You will notice the difference right away and I've seen the on Ebay for $445 shipped. Regarding the weight, you'll be fine. I'm the same weight as you. On a positive note you would also be getting the big purchase out of the way. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    just got the same bike myself. the whole bike weighed 26.52 with the pedals supplied and reflectors on it.(just wanted to put it together and ride the thing first). i know you said 500 is your budget so if that is all you have i would dump it into a set of crest wheels like the others have said. the 719s are a great durable wheel that will last forever training and doing some hard bashing on so i would save them. but trying to nickle and dime weight from small areas makes no sense when you have enough money to get wheels that will net you the biggest loss and it is in the best place to lose it. if you are 50 bucks short for the wheels then just wait a week for two until you have the money then get them.

post some pics of your bike to

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil335
    The first thing I would get would be the 2011 Stans Crests. You will notice the difference right away and I've seen the on Ebay for $445 shipped. Regarding the weight, you'll be fine. I'm the same weight as you. On a positive note you would also be getting the big purchase out of the way. Good luck!
    My concerns is that my riding style would be classified as "not so smooth." I like to power through rock gardens, jump off log rolls, etc. I also want just one set of wheels so I don't have to play the tire swap game. That is my concern w/ the Crest. Is the 200grams more going up to the Arch going to save me a lot of anger/rage?

I just emailed the same question to a riding buddy who is huge into gear and 29ers, and his response was "Arch no doubt." He knows I destroy crap.

Forgive the crappy cell phone pic. I couldn't take the time to get a "real" picture....instead I instantly started riding and put 28 miles on the bike!

Only changes from stock = new bars and converted to 1x9.
    El Guapoooooooo

mtbr member
    I've had the Arch's as a Lefty setup with DT Swiss 240s hubs and they were killer. I think you'll be happy either way. Do what you think will be the best for you and your riding style.

You can also focus on some other parts as well. Stem, Seatpost, Seat, Seatpost Clamp, Cassette, Hardware and focus on the wheels when you get that extra cash. That way you can go over to the Stans website and build them with some nice hubs to match your bike.

mtbr member
    Weight loss is important but rotational weight is key. At your weight you can run crest wijth no problems. My buddy who has the same bike as you recently switched to Crest and nothing else. He set up the sb8s tubeless and his bike shed just about 2 lbs even. He said the performance difference was night and day.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    SRAM XG-1099 will save you 1/2 lb and run about $250 on eBay.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey
    I get worried that the Crests might be a bit too light for me. I am 165-170 lb without gear, and with my heavy full camebak I would likely be pushing or over the weight limit.
    I'm about the same weight as you and I've been beating the crap out of my stans 355s for a year and haven't even had to do a touch up true. get the crests. You're wasting your money on the other stuff if you dont get those tank wheels off there first. Plus, the stans hubs are pretty nice for the money. And find a way to get the better cassette at the same time. It will feel like a totally different bike.
    Last edited by 92gli; 05-12-2011 at 12:30 PM.