Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

WW bargain stem - Titec Pluto

5K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  ShortTravelMag 
#1 ·
Just got one. Nobody seems to have tried it yet, so I went ahead. I have to say, it is one of the most beautiful stems I've seen yet. The carbon weave is there on the extension, but covered everywhere else. The graphics look great, they are not stickers, and are under the clear coat. Just really impressive to me. Aluminum with carbon over seems like a great idea for a stem.

Best part: 130 grams (110mm) on my new scale. Not bad for $69.00 new.

I like the full faceplate (versus the Ritchey style of 2 thin pieces). It just looks sturdy.

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone is trying to save some weight and not spend huge bucks.

#2 ·
curtlo-dork said:
Just got one. Nobody seems to have tried it yet, so I went ahead. I have to say, it is one of the most beautiful stems I've seen yet. The carbon weave is there on the extension, but covered everywhere else. The graphics look great, they are not stickers, and are under the clear coat. Just really impressive to me. Aluminum with carbon over seems like a great idea for a stem.

Best part: 130 grams (110mm) on my new scale. Not bad for $69.00 new.

I like the full faceplate (versus the Ritchey style of 2 thin pieces). It just looks sturdy.

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone is trying to save some weight and not spend huge bucks.
So where exactly did you buy it from?

#5 ·
Ah, Syntace does not make a 110mm stem. 105, right to 120. Titec isn't exactly a new "unproven" brand, they've been making components for a long, long time. Personally, I think the Syntace stems look pretty bland too (call me vain if you want). The deal breaker for sure is the non-110mm length. That got me looking at other stems under $100 that weighed at least 2 ounces less than my Thomson. Never been a huge fan of the Ritchey stuff.

I installed it a bit ago, and with the carbon bars, and titec barends, it is a nice looking and pretty light, yet cheap setup in my opinion.

If Syntace made a 110, and I could get it from a real authorized dealer for $73.00, I'd probably have done it.

#7 ·
curtlo-dork said:
If Syntace made a 110, and I could get it from a real authorized dealer for $73.00, I'd probably have done it.
Do you mean there is no Syntace authorized dealer in the States?
I even managed to change my old F99 (not broken, just recalled) through Syntace USA and I am in Mex.
I am sure your Titec is OK in terms of weight/price and maybe looks, but Syntace is far ahead of the competition when you say the words "customer service".
just my .02 :thumbsup:
Post a pic when you can, I'm sure it'll look great.

#8 ·
Is BlueSky an authorized dealer? Just curious, a store can sell a product without necessarily being a dealer with warranty support. I am careful where I buy things now, as I got bit once by not buying a product from a "real" dealer on the net. But that's not an issue I have with the Syntace, I'd have bought one if it came in the right size. I really would.

#10 ·
Ah, got them to work now. On a side-note, my front-end creaking noises are gone. I suspected my Thomson stem, and have taken it apart and cleaned, lubed the bolts, and whatnot, and it got slightly worse!

Don't know why, but it's silent.

#12 ·
yeah, I am not a carbon freak, so I thought, until I looked at that myself. Yet, I have a steel frame and heavy fork. I guess i'm a "part time" weight weenie.

Tell Syntace to add a 110mm. I'd likely buy one for another ounce less.

#13 ·
curtlo-dork said:
Ah, got them to work now. On a side-note, my front-end creaking noises are gone. I suspected my Thomson stem, and have taken it apart and cleaned, lubed the bolts, and whatnot, and it got slightly worse!

Don't know why, but it's silent.
That looks really nice. Too bad about the F99 not in 110mm, though.:confused:

#14 · (Edited)
It sort or creeps up on ya...LoL

curtlo-dork said:
yeah, I am not a carbon freak, so I thought, until I looked at that myself. Yet, I have a steel frame and heavy fork. I guess i'm a "part time" weight weenie..
Once it takes hold..WATCH OUT!!!.:yesnod:

Tell Syntace to add a 110mm. I'd likely buy one for another ounce less.
Your set up looks so good I'm considering gaining an ounce..:lol;

Jake..Long Live NOKON :thumbsup:

#17 ·
Yeah, I meant budget when compared to Extralite, Tune, Bontrager carbon, and the like. The Sette is probably a Ritchey, or made by the same place. I would have stuck with my Thomson, but I am on a weight kick lately, but can't really play with the big boys and start the Extralite fest. I'd love to, but I can't justify it. But $69 for something kind of different, and with some carbon, makes me happy.

#18 ·
Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

curtlo-dork said:
Yeah, I meant budget when compared to Extralite, Tune, Bontrager carbon, and the like. The Sette is probably a Ritchey, or made by the same place. I would have stuck with my Thomson, but I am on a weight kick lately, but can't really play with the big boys and start the Extralite fest. I'd love to, but I can't justify it. But $69 for something kind of different, and with some carbon, makes me happy.
I can tell your starting get a case of UGI-WW..There's no cure..:lol:

Jake..:cornut::D

#19 ·
I saw your pics...

curtlo-dork said:
... and yeah, the Carbon Titec Pluto is awfully sweet looking. I'm tempted for the bling factor alone.

#20 ·
First ride with it, and it's stiff as the Thomson, if not more so. Zero creaks and crackles now. I thought it was my Nokon cables or Thomson stem, and it wasn't the cables. I hope it lasts!

I'm afraid I don't know what UGI-WW stands for! I'm afraid to find out...

#25 ·
It's slightly more than $73 most places, closer to $99 at the big name dealers I checked a month ago. $69 is also the high end price, I've seen it less than $60 as well. It's not so much about which one is $3.00 cheaper to me, it's more of a good weight, good looks, and not the obvious - kind of a sleeper stem, one you hear little about. That's all, I just thought I'd start this because no one else had seem to take the plunge and try a Pluto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.