Thread: WTB Raijin 2.1

ups and downs

WTB Raijin 2.1

Picked up a set of these to try in the rainy season. Spec'd at 495gms, they actually weigh 511gms and 517gms. I'll wait until it gets soggy outside to mount them up and try them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Just bought some and put them on yesterday with Maxxis Ultralight tubes. It's really nice to have an option for a meaty tire with low weight. I was on some short knobbed Michelin Dry2 Duals which were fast for asphalt and pump track-type trails but scary on gravel turns, roots, and they spun out on steep climbs.

I live in the only hilly area of Louisiana so although we can ride all year, we get lots of mud. I also commute through a hilly, curved gravel road and it's a hard surface to master, you've really got to trust your tires to lean in on a downhill turn.

After a couple of rides I'm loving the Raijin's stability at 47psi. Before the Dry2s I had Continental Explorers which were a good pentagonal widely spaced knobby as well. The Raijins are slower and sound like a Jeep on asphalt but I'll take the compromise to keep me on my bike.
    Last edited by chomxxo; 02-19-2009 at 09:38 AM.

bi-winning
    I'd like to see WTB use a 120tpi casing for their "race" tires.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Uncle
    Bump...
    How do you folks like your Raijins? Thinking about running one as rear during the remainder of the wet season here in Nor Cal.

Thanks much.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    @ Rockyuphill, When you have them mounted, could you measure the dimensions ?

mtbr member

raijin

I run them when things are wet around here in the N. Rockies (spring). They basically do what I bought them for - clearing mud and low weight. Grips is fine, speed is nice (I think mostly b/c of the pretty low weight). My other standard tire was SB8, which never clears our mud, but feels quicker to me. I now run rocket rons and they seem to have it all for what I typically ride on (except durability).

ups and downs
    They work well in the mud but they are slow rolling on harder surfaces, and they don't do as well over wet roots and rocks as the Race King Supersonics, I assume that's because of all the knob squirm as the knobs are quite tall. If you're on a surface where the knobs can penetrate the dirt/mud and you don't have a lot of solid obstacles to get over in the mud, they're OK. Very similar to the Bonty Mud X, but lighter.

Here's a couple of shots of the Rajin 2.1 compared to the RK 2.2, the Rajin has the teal stripe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WTB Raijin 2.1-2008_1007new0005.jpg  

WTB Raijin 2.1-2008_0711new0011.jpg  

Last edited by rockyuphill; 02-07-2010 at 09:42 AM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Uncle
    Interesting, the teal stripe. Mine is new. Folding bead? Check. DNA compound? Check. No teal stripe though.

Thanks for the feedback. Your pics help illustrate the differences well, and your premise that the taller knobs and slippery, squirmy over hard obstacles sounds spot on. Think it'd be worth the effort to trim the raijin center knobs down a bit?
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

ups and downs
    I wouldn't have the patience for knob trimming (that sounds rude) myself, I'd just look a a tire with shorter knobs. If the mud isn't deep and squirmy, Race Kings work really well, for the deeper gooier stuff the tall knobs may be worth the squirm.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada