mtbr member

Would You Buy Sram Rocket Shorties for $25?

I have never used grip shift before but have been tempted. I have the opportunity to purchase some Rocket Shorties for $25 that will apparently work with my XTR derailleurs. As far as I can tell I would save +/- 40 grams in the process.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just ordered some sram attacks for myself. Partly for the weight and partly because I keep bashing my knees on the trigger shifter levers. I haven't used them myself but a lot of people are huge fans.

Cannondale Maros Team
    I have grip shift but with x.o rd and I love them

I don't think that I will go back on triggers soon. Partly for the weight and partly because I keep hitting my knees on the trigger shifter levers too

gone for a bike ride
    been using Attacks since september after 6 months with Nobu's microshifters, no grumbles at all, the XO gripshifters + XO RD on my other bike seems slightly quicker but that's probably the shift ratio thing

i really like being able to shift a whole load of gears effortlessly in one go when needed

not tried Shorties but if they work as well as Attacks i think you made a good move if your asking
    Last edited by culturesponge; 02-12-2010 at 12:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Culturesponge - where did you get the grip cover? Mine needs replacement and am looking at something like those. The originals get slippery and I know the XO grips won't fit.

gone for a bike ride
    Quote Originally Posted by mmanuel09
    Culturesponge - where did you get the grip cover? Mine needs replacement and am looking at something like those. The originals get slippery and I know the XO grips won't fit.
    hello, no probs

the bar grips are ESI Chunky: http://www.esigrips.com/Silicone_Gri..._Absorbing.htm i have slightly thinner ESI Racers Edge on another bike but Chunky's are my favourite

...the grips on my Attack shifters are Sram XO, i swapped them with the wife as she was suffering from numbness/ulnar pain with larger diameter XO grips - she's now happily using the thinner Amy grips that the Attacks come on her XO gripshifters without any gripes

not sure if you meant bar grips or gripshifter grips - so i hope i've answered your question!
    Last edited by culturesponge; 02-12-2010 at 12:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Really they worked. I talked to a few on line stores and they mentioned it wouldn't fit. Now I will have to re think that cause they are easier to find (ebay). Was it easy to do? Thanks for the info.

gone for a bike ride
    Quote Originally Posted by mmanuel09
    Really they worked. I talked to a few on line stores and they mentioned it wouldn't fit. Now I will have to re think that cause they are easier to find (ebay). Was it easy to do? Thanks for the info.
    that's what mtbr is for (at least some of the time!)

its just the same two tab retainer, same grip length, width ect, takes only a few seconds to replace - well once handle bar grips are out of the way

i found out myself that replacement XO grips are alot easier to find than Amy's, but if wanted more Amy grips i think the only option is to order Amy's from your local LBS or write/email directly to SRAM

..........edit for silly typo..........
    Last edited by culturesponge; 12-31-2009 at 05:05 PM.