mtbr member

"World's Lightest" 29r hardtail?

Hey Guys,

Just saw this article:

Eurobike 2013: World?s Lightest 29er Hardtail? | Mountain Bike Review

Now I am not a "weight weenie" myself, but can appreciate what people can do to make their bikes as light as possible.

When I saw that article, I was wondering if the claim was true, or if any members here can argue a build that is lighter? Curious to see what is out there.

I cringe at how much these bikes would cost

edit: oh, and let's keep it a MTB, not fixie, cross, whatever else...

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    "a build that is lighter"
    i can tell already there are parts on there that are not as light as they can be. those cranks are not as light as they could be.
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Didn't Mattcock have an A9C that was getting close to that weight.... I know it was a SS but I think I remember him mentioning trying to get into the 13's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Mattcocks is a rigid ss, this is probably the lightest "stock" bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Not the lightest. Mine is lighter, even with a 1174g frame and a standard XX crank (Frame sponsorship anyone? )

6.5kg as pictured (including pedals yes), removing those = 6266g. (not calculated for chain lube though)

6.5kg race ready 29"

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Lightest?

For sure these are not the world's lightest mountainbikes, nor did we ever claim they were. We claimed they were under 6.8kg (and clearly stated without pedals), which you can easily verify if you swig by our booth :-). And we said that the FRAME is the lightest mountainbike frame that EFBe has ever tested that passed their highest level test and that they didn't think it would when we sent it to them, which you can find on their site (the fact that it passed and is the lightest anyway, not the bit that they were surprised).

Best Regards,

Gerard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gerardvroomen View Post
    For sure these are not the world's lightest mountainbikes, nor did we ever claim they were.
    You should get the article corrected in that case...

Article quote:
    "Frame weight of the O-1.0 is under 900g for a size large, added Vroomen, who figures these are the 'lightest 29er hardtails in the world'."

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    As your quote shows, it's about the frame, not the bike. Maybe that's not 100% clear but at least 90%. I don't control what people write, but I do control what we give people so they can write.

And in our information (which is actually also part of the article as they include a photo of our info sheet) it clearly states we talk about the frame. We don't even claim to be the lightest frame, merely the lightest production frame because of course anybody can make anything for themselves at any weight and we may not even know about it.

Gv

Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    You should get the article corrected in that case...

Article quote:
    "Frame weight of the O-1.0 is under 900g for a size large, added Vroomen, who figures these are the 'lightest 29er hardtails in the world'."

mtbr member
    Thanks Gerard for chiming in to clarify the article. Did not intend this to be negative towards your achievement. Rather, was curious what the folks in this forum may be up to to challenge the claim "World's Lightest" 29r hardtail. This seems to be posed as a question for the article, so figured there are people in the world who might be close, or surpass the cumulative weight of that build shown. However, as facelessfools pointed out, it appears you could get your frame build even lower with other part swaps.

Have to admit that the article did come off implying your demo bike was the world's lightest 29r, but it's good to get perspective from the source on this.

bike rider
    That bike is SICK and I Need it!
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Nice

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Marfo View Post
    Not the lightest. Mine is lighter... (not calculated for chain lube though)
    I've heard that some weight weens run their drive trains dry so they don't have the added .05 grams of lube and mostly to avoid the weight of the dirt it attracts.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Did I do that?"
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    I've heard that some weight weens run their drive trains dry so they don't have the added .05 grams of lube and mostly to avoid the weight of the dirt it attracts.

Yep. Some guys I know replace their chain very often as a result. To make it more cost effective, they'll list them as "low miles" on eBay.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    Take a dump before your ride, then you can lube your chain. Problem solved!
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5