mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Word of Warning, Don't Buy this Saddle

Just so you lot don't make the same mistake I did. I got this hunk of junk saddle off Ebay - and unusually for me, didn't check it out properly.

it's the SLR Carbonio, which is stated at between 130 and 140g depending on who you talk to. It is also damn expensive, although I got it quite cheap as it was used.

In actual fact it's 156g, and the carbon is a joke - the rails (not even sure if they're Ti or alu) are just covered in a sheet of carbon!! This has no use whatsoever and just adds to the weight.

These SLR's claim to have a carbon shell, but it looks 100% plastic to me. I have drilled the shell a bit to get this to 150g, but it's still crap.

I love the SLR shape, so it's good to ride on, but Selle Italia do themselves no favours selling tarted up junk like this. Who would pay 60$ premium for this over a normal SLR, and get a saddle weighing 10g MORE??!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't touch me!

Somehow I knew it was going to be the same saddle I have.

Got the same one at CC. I think I paid $10 more for it as opposed to the regular SLR. Mine also came in near the same weight as yours.

I believe the rails are actually made of carbon with the clamp area being wrapped in a ti sheath. Then some more carbon wrapped around it, overlapping part of the sheath. Anyways, my rails are pretty stiff compared to my flite with ti rails(not sure if this is a good thing).

Haven't ridden it yet, its been cold and I just recently got new stoppers for the mtn rig since the townie rig cannabalized it.
    [SIZE=3]No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

[/SIZE][SIZE=1]MCM# eleventy billion

[SIZE=2]No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Regretfully not...

Quote Originally Posted by beeristasty
    Got the same one at CC. I think I paid $10 more for it as opposed to the regular SLR. Mine also came in near the same weight as yours.

I believe the rails are actually made of carbon with the clamp area being wrapped in a ti sheath. Then some more carbon wrapped around it, overlapping part of the sheath. Anyways, my rails are pretty stiff compared to my flite with ti rails(not sure if this is a good thing).

Haven't ridden it yet, its been cold and I just recently got new stoppers for the mtn rig since the townie rig cannabalized it.

I scraped some of the carbon off with a knife, in several places, and it's metal underneath. The Ti sheath is sold metal, the rail itself. So the whole rail is definitely metal, with a silly carbon cover, like the stickers they give away free on magazines. I feel a dork!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

you misunderstand....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scary
    What do you think carbon fiber is (referring to your comments regarding the shell)? Just because you can't see the weave (which is purely cosmetic), when someone refers to carbon fiber what they are saying is either nylon or epoxy REINFORCED with carbon strands. The rails are wrapped with an aluminum sheath because carbon does not withstand "clamping" forces very well. Perfect case of doing a little homework so you understand what you are purchasing, rather than b_itching about it here and disparaging Selle Italia for no reason. The saddle is what they claimed, except the weight (they claim it at 125). For that, you can rip them, but you got the materials you paid for!
    I am fully aware about wrapping carbon rails in alu or ti to withstand clamping forces. I have been using an Ax Lightness for over 3 years, which does this very well at 73g.

The Selle Italia Carbonio, DOES NOT have carbon rails. That's what I'm saying. It looks like it does, but it's just metal covered in a film of cosmetic carbon. Get it?

I'm simply trying to warn anyone else of falling into the same mistake that I made.

And 125g versus 156g? Wouldn't you be pissed off?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I believe you're talking about these rails. I saw them cut apart and its titanium covered with two layres of carbon fiber. The ti rail has less than 1 mm wall thickness: less than the normal SLR Ti rail. The latter usually breaks after a season or in a crash: possibly this "carbon" version will be more durable...

The "carbon" shell is pastic reinforced with shreads of carbon fiber. It's not vowen fiber: you wouldn't want to sit on such a shell, because it's so rigid. Actually FSA makes a sadddle with real carbon fiber shell (Wing Pro Carbon) and it so stiff that I gave up after 40 minutes on it. The Selle Italia shell is much better beacuse it's quite flexible. I also have a Selle San Marco Aspide, which also has a "carbon reinforced plastic" shell and its my favourite saddle.

I hope this helps...

-b

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by macsi
    I believe you're talking about these rails. I saw them cut apart and its titanium covered with two layres of carbon fiber. The ti rail has less than 1 mm wall thickness: less than the normal SLR Ti rail. The latter usually breaks after a season or in a crash: possibly this "carbon" version will be more durable...

The "carbon" shell is pastic reinforced with shreads of carbon fiber. It's not vowen fiber: you wouldn't want to sit on such a shell, because it's so rigid. Actually FSA makes a sadddle with real carbon fiber shell (Wing Pro Carbon) and it so stiff that I gave up after 40 minutes on it. The Selle Italia shell is much better beacuse it's quite flexible. I also have a Selle San Marco Aspide, which also has a "carbon reinforced plastic" shell and its my favourite saddle.

I hope this helps...

-b
    nice pic where did you find that
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    nice pic where did you find that
    I took it! In some factories the light conditions are better than in others... ;-)

Max
    Velodramatic
    there's only ONE saddle that works really well for me

[SIZE=1]67 g, BTW[/SIZE]

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

mtbr member
    yea that just looks really really painful

Max
    Velodramatic
    but it aint. i managed to get the shell as thin as possible so it is really flexible. but you guys won't believe me as long as you haven't ridden the saddle

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Max
    but it aint. i managed to get the shell as thin as possible so it is really flexible. but you guys won't believe me as long as you haven't ridden the saddle
    I believe you! With my friends, we also tried to make many different carbon shells and succeeded in making a thin one that is ok for a two hour ride, but it broke after a month or so (not under me...) It was also integrated with the seat tube ( la Tune), and molded after an SLR. Unfortunately now we have less time to experiment... Maybe once there will be a thread where someone asks about LRS/Specialized 1:1 suspension, and then I can tell you the real story with a sad ending...

-b

mtbr member
    yea actually i know where you're coming from....i just got a slr and it does LOOK comfortable at all, but i tried it and i liked it more than my old flite.

but that thing just looks REALLY uncomfortable

MaL*size=
    we already new that the slr carbonio was heavier than the slr ti. It was posted in this forum even before slr carbonio was available...

you better look at this forum more often...

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

ride it

weight weenie idiots should all ride saddles like that, ideally when they are young, so they will not be able to breed more weight weenie idiots, so eventually their scourge will be eliminated from the earth and common sense will prevail.
    Don't pay the $85 fee to ride land you own! Resist!

mtbr member
    hey man, i'm 16, and i'm going through great lengths to shave unessecary weight off my bike.

common sense? bah!

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Am i the only one who remembers thermoplastic carbon being much talked about in bikes a few years ago? Instead of epoxy molded and chemically cured carbon fiber composite structions, the fiber strands are mixed into the plastic medium and poured into a model while liquid, and then baked into the final shape. The advantage of thermoplastics over conventional thermoset composites is that if you screw up, you can simply melt it down again and start over. Thermoset's are 1 shot deals. Screw up the design or carbon laying or epoxy mix or whatever and you have to throw out the piece. It can't really be recycled.

They were talking about doing frames that way and a few brands tried it but it really didn't do
    much for the price of carbon frames at the time, so it basically was given up on. But for moulding structures like saddle bases its perfect (since they're already injection molded from more conventional plastics that way).

I posted about some velo carbon ti saddles last week and they use that sort of base construction, with tubular titanium saddle rails. They're not superlight (187g out of the box) but for the money ($70-80cdn retail) they light enough.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bernithebiker
    And 125g versus 156g? Wouldn't you be pissed off?
    Um, no.

I have way more than 31 grams of dirt on my bike right now.

And it still climbs great.

Max
    Velodramatic
    we see guys like you coming here and trying to provoke us every day... don't try to start another WW debate, please

banned
    we see guys like you coming here and trying to provoke us every day... don't try to start another WW debate, please
    Provoking?

Geez, thin skinned aren't ya'?

I guess my point would be that no one, NO ONE. Not LA, not Ullrich, not Green, can tell the difference in 31 grams.

Not in overall time or ride "feel".

Ever.

MaL*size=
    that might sound agressive and stupid. But its very realistic about animals evolution...

but humans are not animals, and the ones who buy those ultra-light carbon and ultra expensive saddles have a wallet full of $. If they have the wallet full of $, maybe they lead a mora comfy and easy life, and they life longer, they use frozen esperm from a expensive laboratory and give to the world more stupid and wealthy weight weenies. Pity...

Whatever

31g or not, the SLR s*cks for mtn biking

I used one for about 18 months (with no crashes) then snapped the front part off while climbing. About ripped my sack off. I sent it to Selle Italia's distributor in Oregon, and they sent it back and said sorry it's not covered. I was so ticked off I vowed never to buy another product of theirs again.

I know I know it's not a dedicated mtn saddle, but many companies spec it on their mtn bikes (Rocky Mtn for instance) and many pro riders use them. I guess they must get new ones each month. The weight savings are not worth it.

Actually, I can't even see using it on the road or track, because I scoot up to the front of the saddle for sprints. I would never trust it at high speed.

banned
    Apr 2004

Reminds me of the hard plastic

seats we used to have on our BMX bikes.
    We used to cover 4 or 5 cities in a day on those without a problem.
    Also less seat is less chaffing.

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Am i the only one who remembers thermoplastic carbon being much talked about in bikes a few years ago? Instead of epoxy molded and chemically cured carbon fiber composite structions, the fiber strands are mixed into the plastic medium and poured into a model while liquid, and then baked into the final shape. The advantage of thermoplastics over conventional thermoset composites is that if you screw up, you can simply melt it down again and start over. Thermoset's are 1 shot deals. Screw up the design or carbon laying or epoxy mix or whatever and you have to throw out the piece. It can't really be recycled.

They were talking about doing frames that way and a few brands tried it but it really didn't do
    much for the price of carbon frames at the time, so it basically was given up on. But for moulding structures like saddle bases its perfect (since they're already injection molded from more conventional plastics that way).

I posted about some velo carbon ti saddles last week and they use that sort of base construction, with tubular titanium saddle rails. They're not superlight (187g out of the box) but for the money ($70-80cdn retail) they light enough.
    Thermoplastic was also supposed to be better than carbon in that it supposedly wouldn't "fail catastrophically" like carbon. Unfortunately I had a Scott thermoplastic bar with the integrated bar ends snap just like pure carbon! Actually wish I could still get those old Scott bars - they sure were light.