Seatpost-fsa k-force
    Saddle-fizik aliante carbon railed
    Headset-FSA OrbitZR
    Tires-kenda karmas
    Grips-sram
    Cage-elite carbon
    Headset Spacer-fsa carbon
    Cable and Housing-avid flack jacket

22lbs, a bike capable of 6000-7000 miles a yr training with no issues.
    god i don't know how i ride such a heavy beast!

by the way ninokian gibo will be doing some world cup mtb'ing this yr
    and is going for the olympics in 08

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

Not a WW bike but a very nice rig....

The onoy things I would go is switch out the stem and seatpost to seomething lighter.

Sure the pedals are a bit haevy, but great performers and often a place I suggest to stay with what works for YOU.

Maybe better grips and lighter WB cages?

I knwo where you are coming from. A bike that can withstand tiem and W&T without needing to replace everyhthing quickly. I keep my bikes with the same thinking.

But soem guys who really race a lot and have high budgest can get away with lighter stuff. Just like race cars, they are desgined for a few 1,000 miles and then rebuild them ever few races.

For the most riders, this is unacceptable.

I am fiding this out with PowerCordz for Camp brakes
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    I am fiding this out with PowerCordz for Camp brakes
    Gio,
    don't tell me you saved a quarter $ when getting the heavy Nokons over the I-links just to buy those stinky powercordz to save weight again!!!???

what you have there is a creaking, heavy cable with inner "wires" that have their problems just as you found out now, right?

why not get something light and troublefree right from the beginning? next time just believe me

Weight Weenie Shop Owner
    No, with Jagwire housing.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com

banned
    No, with Jagwire housing.
    better
    as mentioned several times before. i would call myself a hardcore WW but i still haven't used any powercordz on my bikes. not even tried them. something inside me telly me to stay away from them. it's not worth it for 5-10g savings.

i have several sets in my garage for almost a year now...not that i couldn't afford. i don't want.

Weight Weenie Shop Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    better
    as mentioned several times before. i would call myself a hardcore WW but i still haven't used any powercordz on my bikes. not even tried them. something inside me telly me to stay away from them. it's not worth it for 5-10g savings.

i have several sets in my garage for almost a year now...not that i couldn't afford. i don't want.
    Well the derailluer cables are the BEST I ever usd on a road bike.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com

banned

well -

Well the derailluer cables are the BEST I ever usd on a road bike.
    what is it that makes it better?
    it is slick i guess? and it saves 10g the pair?

so here we are at the debate about really light and slick cables again....no, i won't start all over again but there's HUGE differences in cables and it's not just the powercordz alone. if they work good for you...great!!!
    however there's other systems out there, cheaper and longer lasting and most important safer... that do perform as well if not better.
    on shifters there's not much that can happen other than beeing left out in the field in a big gear...however on the brakes this is a scary thing.

Grams Light Bikes
    So what is your fave for a shifter system?

Weight Weenie Shop Owner
    Yes, much smoother. Also alot better with all the riding I do near the ocean. Even SS get corroded fast. Not the PC!!! No streching and the shifters stay in tune much longer than with tradtional cables.

I had trouble with the PC brakes cables fraying during installation. Also they would not hold tight with campy brakes. I am not going to use them. Also the brake bolt is large and looks a bit funky on those beautiful Skeleton Record brakes.

It also took me, yes took me 3 HRS to get those things fed through the Campy shifters. 10 min later back to SS cables.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com

SUBLIM8er
    Yes, much smoother. Also alot better with all the riding I do near the ocean. Even SS get corroded fast. Not the PC!!! No streching and the shifters stay in tune much longer than with tradtional cables.

I had trouble with the PC brakes cables fraying during installation. Also they would not hold tight with campy brakes. I am not going to use them. Also the brake bolt is large and looks a bit funky on those beautiful Skeleton Record brakes.

It also took me, yes took me 3 HRS to get those things fed through the Campy shifters. 10 min later back to SS cables.
    Well, for a V-Brake setup w/a lever like the Extralite's the Powercordz are the only way to go for me. I have not run the PC on a road brake so I have no idea what the issues would be with that. Once the Nokon carbon housing is out we will have the lightest and slickest performing Vbrake cable and housing combo currently offered. Yes, it will be expensive. Gypsy bikes has an ETA on the Carbon Nokons of Feb 26 now. BTW, someone asked what the weight of the PC 5mm cable clasp bolt was a couple weeks ago. They weight 2g per bolt and are indeed steel unlike the 6mm clasp bolt. My standard 5mm Al bolt w/2 washers weighed 1g per bolt so we have a 2g gain with the new clasp bolt. Sorry no pic.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Dry Cables

I've had great experience with sealed derailleur cables from Dry Cables. www.drycables.com I've been riding the same set of Dry Cable shift cables now for >18 months and they still shift great.