mtbr member

Will a road derailleur (listed at 2x9) have the range to be run on a 3x9 mtb

I am loking to try a road der on my MTB, either Ultegra (due to being much cheaper and not a lot heavier than Dura Ace) or Dura Ace. I see these listed as 2x9 and a few of the newer ones 3x9. Can I run a 2x9 road der on a 3x9 mtb compact crank setup (22/32/44) or do I need ot make sure I get a 3x9 road der?

KMan

Boj
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KMan
    I am loking to try a road der on my MTB, either Ultegra (due to being much cheaper and not a lot heavier than Dura Ace) or Dura Ace. I see these listed as 2x9 and a few of the newer ones 3x9. Can I run a 2x9 road der on a 3x9 mtb compact crank setup (22/32/44) or do I need ot make sure I get a 3x9 road der?

KMan

Nino is the only persom who is running it, to my knowledge, and he has been running it on a triple with no problems apparently, so I hope he chimes in with his experiences because I want to hear his thoughts too.

I have just received my Dura Ace 2x9 FD7700 front mech from Ebay and I am very pessimistic about it working on my MTB. I measured it to only have about 10 mm of side to side movement (max setting) and chainrings (albeit on my beater bike) have 17 mm from granny to big ring. I have to wait till I get my proper crankset to fully asses it all. Another iffy thing is that if you have a long BB spindle it might make it even more difficult to make it work. It is possible to increase mech movement by dremmeling the stops away but then that ruins the derailleur if you want to sell it.

All up, I've shelved the project until I have my crankset but I'll do my best to make it happen when its time so I'd like any input from anyone on this too.
    If in doubt - pedal harder!!!

XC Geek
    They should work just fine as long as the cage is long enough, but the ultegra is not that much lighter than the old (M952?) XTR and probably heavier than the M960.
    My Ultegra is 219 grams (short cage)
    My XTR is 229g (M953 rapid rise, wide range w/ SRP bolt kit) was 238g before
    New XTR M960 listed around 200g
    Dura Ace is also listed around 200g
    So I guess my point is why? you could get the new M960 but it's rapid rise (not sure if that matters to you). If you do use a road dérailleur wouldn't you need to switch the cage to a long or medium to accommodate a mountain cassette?
    I should be doing something more productive with my time!

mtbr member
    i think kman is asking about front derailleur, not rear.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

XC Geek

You're probably right

My bad, whoops
    I should be doing something more productive with my time!

banned

no problem on my bike...

correct -
    I have just received my Dura Ace 2x9 FD7700 front mech from Ebay and I am very pessimistic about it working on my MTB. I measured it to only have about 10 mm of side to side movement (max setting) and chainrings (albeit on my beater bike) have 17 mm from granny to big ring. I have to wait till I get my proper crankset to fully asses it all. Another iffy thing is that if you have a long BB spindle it might make it even more difficult to make it work. It is possible to increase mech movement by dremmeling the stops away but then that ruins the derailleur if you want to sell it.

All up, I've shelved the project until I have my crankset but I'll do my best to make it happen when its time so I'd like any input from anyone on this too.[/QUOTE]

correct -
    I use a DA baze-on derailleur with 34.9mm adapter on my HT.no problems at all.shifts as good as the XTR it replaced.
    i have the adjuster bolts all the way to the maximum and that's all that was needed to make it work.i was worried about the curved sideplates because road chainrings usually are about 53t and my big ring is just 42t but that seems no problem.quite big and cheap weight savings.my setup weighs just 86g.compare that to the older XTR derailleurs(FD-M952!) 109g.the 03/04 XTR weigh almost double as much (ca. 130g if i'm right).definitely get the Ultegra because it's just about 3g heavier than the DA.

i would have posted another picture of my setup BUT i'm still in Mexico just checking what is going on here...

ahhh- 30 degrees celsius and quite big surf is really nicer than the freezing temperatures back home in Switzerland.BUT no biking here,just drinking and eating and getting the feet wet..

Members who have read this thread: 0