mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Why is there a high demand for old school Rockshox Sid Worldcups?

Why is there a high demand for old school Rockshox Sid Worldcups? I search on ebay and they are always going for high $300's to low $400's. The one I saw on Ebay was a 2008 it sold for $410!

FKA Malibu412
    Cuz they're a lightweight and quality xc fork? I have a 2008 Reba and I like it better than any of the current Rebas.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Dropshot Champ!
    it's a quality fork and if you're still using v-brakes, it keeps that option. I know, who the heck still uses vbrakes!? But they fit some old frames nicely.

I have a reba world cup carbon (2008) that is one of the nicest forks I've ever been on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    You can't compare any of the Reba's (all 32mm stanchions) with the earlier 28mm stanchion SIDS (pre 2009). They have almost nothing in common. The Reba's and 2009+ SIDs are quite similar. If you like your Reba you'll probably like a 2009+ SID, but you're not going to like a pre 2009 SID at all.

Early SIDs are light, but that's about all they have going for them if you're an adult. They make a great fork for a kid's bike as they are one of the few air sprung lightweight forks you can tune for light riders and the 28mm flexy stanchions aren't such an issue if you weigh 30-40kg.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I would say the biggest demand for these is kids bikes like Tig mentioned. Even high end kids bikes like this Scott Spark RC jr. comes with a heavy, useless fork. This is a 2007 Sid Race carbon with a custom V-brake adaptor for the 24" wheels. This fork was 1 lbs. lighter, is air sprung so you can set sag for the little guys and has great adjustable damping for my 70 lbs. son. It works amazing for him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why is there a high demand for old school Rockshox Sid Worldcups?-img_0328_1.jpg  

Why is there a high demand for old school Rockshox Sid Worldcups?-img_0332_1.jpg  

Dropshot Champ!
    wow, that is a sick build for a kids bike! nice!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks Red. He can really rip on that thing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I still have Mag 21's on a few of my bikes. The 28mm Sid is like a rock compared to them lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Mag 21 (with long travel mod) is also good on a kids bike:

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've just put a set of 100mm SIDs on a 26" bike for my eldest daughter. I'm using an Extension X-Pilot frame (sold as Azonic Propulsion in the US) and I've got the weight down to 10.5kg. It's a fairly burly setup so of course after completing it the "adults" had to give it some testing and I was pleasantly surprised how solid the front end feels even with the "noodly" SIDs. To be totally honest they didn't feel noodly at all and I'd have no hesitation riding them hard.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Cause they are pretty, light, V-brake compatible and highly modifiable. Mine weighs 1,1 kg.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Rallyator - What does that fork ride like with no damping? The air spring assembly is the main source of stiction on those SIDs. Two assemblies must be worse.

I'd use an earlier SID damper rod (71g) plus about 80g of fluid and get damping working again. Your SID will now weigh 1.23kg but it'll actually work as a suspension fork for offroad riding.

mtbr member
    Want a laugh? Search for green Michelin Mud cyclocross tires, see how much they go for.