Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

White Brothers Rock Solid Rigid Fork?

is anyone running one of the forks? if so how do they preform? pictures if you have them too please.
    Ride & Smile

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Just found this thread on a search... should probably post it in the 29er or SS forums, heaps of lovers over there.

banned

here..

if i'm not completely mistaken i used such a fork although not labelled White-Bros....as always those forks would be made somewhere in the far east and they simply slap a decal on it.
    http://www.whitebrotherscycling.com/...rockrigid.html

Anyway - that fork was no good. I changed it after just a couple of rides for a Ritchey-,Token-, Trigon-...carbon and this was a much,much better ride. Stiffer yet more compliant as well,much lighter too (450g Vs. 770g of the "WB"). My Token weighed just 408g cut to lenght...and the ride was worlds better than that other fork.

I also remember that that other fork would twist when i applied my front brake with 180 disc...i had the 445mm lenght which i thought would do good in keeping my front suspended geometry on my hardtail...well - it turned out that the 445 fork made a sleeper out of my bike! It felt sluggish and wanted to push the front in corners. The shorter Carbon was much better suited. People easily forget about the sag that modern suspension forks have. And they also forget that while cornering forks do sink into their travel as well which shortens the wheelbase,steepens up the headangle and makes for good cornering. I found that longer legged fork did horrible on my HT. It would ride decent on the flats but as mentioned it would push in corners, the front wheel would easily wash out, it felt sluggish and my bike wasn't nimble anymore. By installing the shorter legged carbon my bike transformed into a rocketship.This has to be experienced as it is really hard to describe what such a light and stiff fork can do to your bike. Unbelievable, super-fun and super-fast. You sure get white knuckles on technical descents but a fat tire will cure some of that. Where you suffer bad is on the brakes as there's absolutely no cushion...you'll need "soft" elbows and a big heart and good technical skills to be able to compensate but it is still a lot of fun and fast.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nino; 06-19-2009 at 12:37 AM.

Come on, dare me!
    I have this fork (under the brand name Pro (Shimano)) on my hardtail-turned-road-bike and love it, contrarily to our own King of WW Nino... Stiff, pretty light and beautiful. BTW, I weight 160 lb and use it on tarmac only, so I can't comment on its dirtworthyness...

Jerome

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome
    I have this fork (under the brand name Pro (Shimano)) on my hardtail-turned-road-bike and love it, contrarily to our own King of WW Nino... Stiff, pretty light and beautiful. BTW, I weight 160 lb and use it on tarmac only, so I can't comment on its dirtworthyness...

Jerome
    Jerome,
    i do believe you that you like it BUT when you have the option to try out 2 different forks on your bike you immediately can tell a difference. Using a MTB fork on road only won't give you much of a feedback anyway as the demands on a fork are minimal if used on tarmac only. For example the front washing out is something you will never experience using your bike on the road...if the fork is comfortable can't be felt either....maybe time to throw on some real knobbies and go for a real trail ride! There you will feel if it's worth it or not. For road use you can put a wood stick and be happy

You know my steez...
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    if i'm not completely mistaken i used such a fork although not labelled White-Bros....as always those forks would be made somewhere in the far east and they simply slap a decal on it.
    http://www.whitebrotherscycling.com/...rockrigid.html

Anyway - that fork was no good. I changed it after just a couple of rides for a Ritchey-,Token-, Trigon-...carbon and this was a much,much better ride. Stiffer yet more compliant as well,much lighter too (450g Vs. 770g of the "WB"). My Token weighed just 408g cut to lenght...and the ride was worlds better than that other fork.

I also remember that that other fork would twist when i applied my front brake with 180 disc...i had the 445mm lenght which i thought would do good in keeping my front suspended geometry on my hardtail...well - it turned out that the 445 fork made a sleeper out of my bike! It felt sluggish and wanted to push the front in corners. The shorter Carbon was much better suited. People easily forget about the sag that modern suspension forks have. And they also forget that while cornering forks do sink into their travel as well which shortens the wheelbase,steepens up the headangle and makes for good cornering. I found that longer legged fork did horrible on my HT. It would ride decent on the flats but as mentioned it would push in corners, the front wheel would easily wash out, it felt sluggish and my bike wasn't nimble anymore. By installing the shorter legged carbon my bike transformed into a rocketship.This has to be experienced as it is really hard to describe what such a light and stiff fork can do to your bike. Unbelievable, super-fun and super-fast. You sure get white knuckles on technical descents but a fat tire will cure some of that. Where you suffer bad is on the brakes as there's absolutely no cushion...you'll need "soft" elbows and a big heart and good technical skills to be able to compensate but it is still a lot of fun and fast.
    Wow. This is great and timely information for me.

I was considering this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=29729 which is just what you said, a "fork made somewhere in the far east with a different decal slapped on it."

Everything you said about handling makes perfect sense, not to mention the difference in weight.

Thanks for posting.
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

banned

uhh...

Quote Originally Posted by BunnV
    Wow. This is great and timely information for me.

Thanks for posting.
    Ouch - that's a rather steep price for that fork!

I was just doing a quick search:
    The cheapest i could find the WhiteBros is 274$ (Alfred E.) , this is about the same amount then. And i found the Trigon (=Ritchey WCS = Token..) for 199$ on Ebay while Jenson sells the exact same fork with Ritchey decals for 439$...

So you not only save 300g and a lot of money but also get a better performing fork on top

Hey - i just found this add in the german forum - that's the WhiteBros = Pro = Noname fork for just 119 Euro/165$ !!
    http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showpos...9&postcount=94

mtbr member
    I was just able to get a Token fork now since TUFO picked up distro of Token in North America. Uncut its 482g, will drop a good chunk off that. Its going on my SS, and from what i can tell using my specially calibrated hands it is actually alot stiffer then the WB/Pro/DT/Origin 8 forks out there. i'm excited to see what my SS ends up at weight wise, this fork is sure going to help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    How much was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    I was just able to get a Token fork now since TUFO picked up distro of Token in North America. Uncut its 482g, will drop a good chunk off that. Its going on my SS, and from what i can tell using my specially calibrated hands it is actually alot stiffer then the WB/Pro/DT/Origin 8 forks out there. i'm excited to see what my SS ends up at weight wise, this fork is sure going to help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnybravo
    How much was it?
    I Paid Dealer Wholesale,so cant comment. But since Tufo is now Distibuting them in america your LBS should be able to contact TUFO and get you one. It shouldn't be much, if any at all, more expensive then a WB style fork though.

mtbr member

Trigon/Token Fork differences??

Are there different lengths of the Trigon/Token/Ritchey MTB Carbon Fork?

I found one on eBay which indicates 410mm a-c with 48mmrake...

is that the only size for that particular model?

Hard to find info on these forks especially from the http://www.greatgocycles.com/ website...

thanks for any answers!
    Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind...Dr Seuss.

banned

lenght...

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeBean
    Are there different lengths of the Trigon/Token/Ritchey MTB Carbon Fork?

I found one on eBay which indicates 410mm a-c with 48mmrake...

is that the only size for that particular model?

Hard to find info on these forks especially from the http://www.greatgocycles.com/ website...

thanks for any answers!
    These forks (Ritchey,Token,Trigon, etc.)are all the same lenght: 410mm

Don't let the shortish numbers fool you! They do perform awesome on todays front suspended bikes even though you would think you need them longer...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have the SASO version from ebay. Paid about $140 for it and I like it a lot (you can probably make an offer and get it for even less). That Ritchey/Token one is tempting though being so much lighter! I was afraid of changing the geometry too much with such a comparatively short fork. The ones I saw always can V-brake bosses too, and I can't stand that.
    2010 Giant Anthem X
    Friends don't let friends ride Tune hubs.

mtbr member
    Nino,
    I PM'd you about one of these forks...very interested...

Thanks!
    Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind...Dr Seuss.

banned
    Nino,

Thanks!
    As i wrote in my reply Ebay is the cheapest source.

Come on, dare me!
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    Jerome,
    i do believe you that you like it BUT when you have the option to try out 2 different forks on your bike you immediately can tell a difference. Using a MTB fork on road only won't give you much of a feedback anyway as the demands on a fork are minimal if used on tarmac only. For example the front washing out is something you will never experience using your bike on the road...if the fork is comfortable can't be felt either....maybe time to throw on some real knobbies and go for a real trail ride! There you will feel if it's worth it or not. For road use you can put a wood stick and be happy
    For sure, but I already have two FS bikes (XC + AM) for the trails. So, as for rolling knobbies, I know my stuff. I've been using my HT as a winter/mullet bike the first year I got it with a suspension fork (100 mm) but found out that the riding was too harsh on some snow trails where people are constantly digging holes walking there (when the snow is still soft). Anyway, I've decided to turn it in a "road" bike and was looking for a fork that would give me the same HT angle and the Pro was among the ones matching my criteria. The Ritchey has a lower a-t-c measurement, as far as I know, so it wasn't an option. BTW, I ride MTBs since 1991, so, I've had my share of rigid forks (Kona Track Two, Brodie straight blade, Specialized, to name a few...).

Jerome

mtbr member

New question here. Ever ridden one on a 29er??

Obviously after reading through all of this material, noone has ever touched on the topic of whether or not this Ritchey/Token/Trigon carbon rigid fork would fare well on a 29er...

soo, I am asking everyone here what their opinionis for running one of these on a 29er.

thoughts, comments, laughter?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Nino,

Thanks!

mtbr member
    The Token web site states this is for 26ers.

Does anybody know if these will be available for 29ers? Is the Niner fork similar to the Token? (or maybe made by the same company)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prawny

why mad??

mtbr member
    and ebay sources selling Trigon Carbon Rigids state would run on 29'' up to 2.1'' tire...but anyone ride one to determine if this is possible, safe, sane?

mtbr member
    I have written Trigon to see if they recommend this fork with a 29er.

mtbr member
    i fit 29x2.2 captain tires in there no rub....barely. when i turned it would flex and rub.
    ill be running this fork on a 650b SS, once i get the wheels laced up.

mtbr member

New question here.

650b is 27.5 i believe...

i am going to assume that this is NOT the fork to run with a 29er unless you plan on scraping pedals due to lowered bottom bracket clearance. and being pitched forward into a rather aggressive position...but it has left me wondering why noone has ever addressed this issue and why this fork is not manufactured for over 415mm.....

mtbr member
    650b is 27.5 i believe...

i am going to assume that this is NOT the fork to run with a 29er unless you plan on scraping pedals due to lowered bottom bracket clearance. and being pitched forward into a rather aggressive position...but it has left me wondering why noone has ever addressed this issue and why this fork is not manufactured for over 415mm.....
    1.yes, 650b is aprx 27.5

2.Because Niner already makes the fork you desire.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast