mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Where's The Weight Hiding On My Bike!

Hi,

I've got a 05 Rockhopper Disk (UK) from research I've done and advice from people here and on weight weenies. The huge weight savings to be made on my bike are in the wheels and fork. I've got replacements lined up for these parts. My frame seems reasonably light 1800g listing on weight weenies. Where’s the rest of the weight on my bike hiding? I mean big weights.

Current Wheels & Fork

FH Specialized, RH Shimano M-475 Disc, Mavic XM-117 Disc (450g), Spokes 1.8mm (15g) Black Stainless, Specialized 05 Crossroads EX Tire (Steel Bead) (2X), Specialized Standard MTB Tubes (2X)

Manitou Axel Comp

New Wheels & Fork

Hope Pro II Disc Hubs, Mavic 717 Rims, DT Rev Spokes, 2X Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.1, Continental Supersonic Tubes

RS Reba Race 06

I know that with the new wheels and fork I could have saved up and got a Stumpjumper But that’s not always the case when you a student. With these two changes I hope to get my bike down to 26/27lbs. It's currently at 30/32lbs. Also according to specialized online my bike should have came with a Axel Elite but it comes with the Comp? Any reason for that? Only + side is the Comp is apparently 6.4lbs so big saving when I get my Reba.

Cheers,

Danny

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dangillow
    Hi,

I've got a 05 Rockhopper Disk (UK) from research I've done and advice from people here and on weight weenies. The huge weight savings to be made on my bike are in the wheels and fork. I've got replacements lined up for these parts. My frame seems reasonably light 1800g listing on weight weenies. Where’s the rest of the weight on my bike hiding? I mean big weights.

Current Wheels & Fork

FH Specialized, RH Shimano M-475 Disc, Mavic XM-117 Disc (450g), Spokes 1.8mm (15g) Black Stainless, Specialized 05 Crossroads EX Tire (Steel Bead) (2X), Specialized Standard MTB Tubes (2X)

Manitou Axel Comp

New Wheels & Fork

Hope Pro II Disc Hubs, Mavic 717 Rims, DT Rev Spokes, 2X Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.1, Continental Supersonic Tubes

RS Reba Race 06

I know that with the new wheels and fork I could have saved up and got a Stumpjumper But that’s not always the case when you a student. With these two changes I hope to get my bike down to 26/27lbs. It's currently at 30/32lbs. Also according to specialized online my bike should have came with a Axel Elite but it comes with the Comp? Any reason for that? Only + side is the Comp is apparently 6.4lbs so big saving when I get my Reba.

Cheers,

Danny

How about the BB and Cranks? Both of them add considerable weight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

05 Manitou Axel Elite w/ TPC lockout 100mm 2370grams 5.22lbs

This came off a 2005 gary Fisher Tassahara as a OEM fork and I could not beleive how much it weighted !!! over 5 lbs!

mmm
    switching from the heavy truvativ blaze/bb combo to a a cheap hone crankset saved me close to a pound.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin Cycle
    This came off a 2005 gary Fisher Tassahara as a OEM fork and I could not beleive how much it weighted !!! over 5 lbs!
    Wow. I've got the fork below that COMP as a OEM fork. I guess I'm going to see some huge weight savings when I get rid of it + performance improvement. I guess I'll make the changes I have in mind now. I'll then get in weighed and go from there. I think the UK Rockhopper has different cranks to the USA model? On my bike I have Shimano Deore, Hollowtech arms, 13/15”:170, 17-23”:175mm, 44s/32s/22s.

Danny

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

gram by gram

Wow. I've got the fork below that COMP as a OEM fork. I guess I'm going to see some huge weight savings when I get rid of it + performance improvement. I guess I'll make the changes I have in mind now. I'll then get in weighed and go from there. I think the UK Rockhopper has different cranks to the USA model? On my bike I have Shimano Deore, Hollowtech arms, 13/15”:170, 17-23”:175mm, 44s/32s/22s.

Danny
    Your stock crank/bb my not be all that bad , I have tune several base shimano cranks over the year down to around 595-615 gram with just a alum. granny and alum, chainring bolts
    the heavy part will be the shimano octalink BB, it proable has shimano ES-51 ~ 282 grams
    and the cranks are around 650 grams plus, however if you install an a Aluminum 22 tooth granny and all 12 bolt to Alum it's possable for only a few dollars to get the overall weight of your cranks & BB to 900 grams and an XT weighs 860 + - a few grams so that not going to be a huge saving per dollar if you change out the crank set, look at the stemm /seatpost/bars ang grips!! Grips use road bike handle bar tape cool colars etc you get two rolls use one roll cut in 1/2 for each side so you get two sets and nit will weigh around 30 grams including the end plugs That is cheap and will save almost a 1/4 lbs

good luck!

ballbuster

Bars/stem/seat/seatpost?

Hi,

Current Wheels & Fork

Manitou Axel Comp

New Wheels & Fork

RS Reba Race 06

Cheers,

Danny
    OEM B/S/S/S are usually pretty portly. You can prolly loose some here without spending too much cash.

mtbr member
    cassette, rear derailler...

your stock wheelset doesnt look that bad, just swapping tubes and tires should save a bundle...

for the high end wheelset and the new fork, you're going to spend a fortune...

http://wheelworld.com/site/itemdetai...=39&sort=Price

mtbr member

no kidding

Quote Originally Posted by drunkle
    cassette, rear derailler...

your stock wheelset doesnt look that bad, just swapping tubes and tires should save a bundle...

for the high end wheelset and the new fork, you're going to spend a fortune...

http://wheelworld.com/site/itemdetai...=39&sort=Price
    yup, this is what I have said a FEW times to Dannyboy already. seems like he REALLY has his mind set on upgrades. still, the best and easiest way would be to SELL it as it originally came and buy a slightly used true XC bike off Ebay or other online. you will get ligther wheels, better/lighter fork and most of the other goodies. The only other thing to do is get he exact tires you want and wow, a 23 lb bike for the price difference of just your new wheels (well maybe that new fork too) not too sure on UK prices.

the point is, that bike is not made to be a LIGHT XC bike, it is meant as an entry level bike, to offer value. and yes, that means ALL the parts are probably on the heavy duty side. anyway, it's your money. i am getting a kick out of all the posts about tires, wheels, hubs, more about tires, again about wheels, forks.
    are you planning on commuting with the NN tires? they will probably wear very quickly on the road.

mtbr member
    i dont agree with you either, upgrading selectively and at the best prices is viable option. his problem is twofold, the bike itself wasnt a good value to begin, selling it off will be at a fat loss and his upgrade plan includes over priced parts.

mtbr member

exactly

Quote Originally Posted by drunkle
    i dont agree with you either, upgrading selectively and at the best prices is viable option. his problem is twofold, the bike itself wasnt a good value to begin, selling it off will be at a fat loss and his upgrade plan includes over priced parts.
    exactly what i think. yes changing parts and thinking of how to make your ride lighter is fun. but with limited funds an entire bike upgrade is by FAR the cheapest.

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    i just joined a university bike team and they have sponsors that give amazing discounts on bike parts; the only rules they gave me was that I cant sell the bike parts till next year, or ill have to give back the parts, leave the team, and give back the bibs and the worst the jersey. Im not sure if your going to a university but check it out.

Id find a sick deal on rims that are around the 400 gram range with some double butted 15 gauge spokes and re-lace the hubs most likely specialized laced them to deore 475 hubs and a specialized stout front hub; they arnt light but they will last. Get a new fork! Ive had experience with the oem axel fork its ok, but dont replace it with another cheap fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SLX
    i just joined a university bike team and they have sponsors that give amazing discounts on bike parts; the only rules they gave me was that I cant sell the bike parts till next year, or ill have to give back the parts, leave the team, and give back the bibs and the worst the jersey. Im not sure if your going to a university but check it out.

Id find a sick deal on rims that are around the 400 gram range with some double butted 15 gauge spokes and re-lace the hubs most likely specialized laced them to deore 475 hubs and a specialized stout front hub; they arnt light but they will last. Get a new fork! Ive had experience with the oem axel fork its ok, but dont replace it with another cheap fork.
    I was thinking along the lines of a REBA Race? From what you have said Kev it all makes sence but I'm still going to get my new wheels and fork and just move them to my next bike once I'm in a Grad job. Then sell my Rockhopper with all the old bits back on it.

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I was thinking along the lines of a REBA Race? From what you have said Kev it all makes sence but I'm still going to get my new wheels and fork and just move them to my next bike once I'm in a Grad job. Then sell my Rockhopper with all the old bits back on it.
    Yea that sounds like a good idea, selling your old rig with the original parts. Are you going to start building your new bike gradualy?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SLX
    Yea that sounds like a good idea, selling your old rig with the original parts. Are you going to start building your new bike gradualy?
    Yeh soon as I Graduate I sell my old rig and move my wheels and fork to a new higher spec bike or even look at building one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

reba e bay link

http://sporting-goods.search.ebay.co...MEFSRCHQ3aSRCH

I bought my 2005 reba team for $225.oo

Members who have read this thread: 0