Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

where is the weight?

2K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Notaskitrail 
#1 ·
I bought an access stealth used (carbon hardtail) and Im trying to figure out where the weight is. Right now it is 23.8 pounds. The thing is the parts are already pretty good.

frame access stealth medium (cant find exact weight but have seen references to 1100g)

Seat - wtb volt team 229g
truvative noir T20 - 190g
ec90 seat post 200g
2x10 XT drive train 28/40 and 11/34 cassette
xt brakes
160mm front/rear ice tech rotors
light bicycles carbon wheels w/dt swiss hubs - 1726
nobby nic, maxxis ikon
shimano 510 pedals
specialized stem (not sure, white maybe a proset?) - possibly 150g
headset some kind of FSA headset.
grips lizard skin lock ons - maybe 96g

I feel like I should easily be able to get down to 21-22 lbs, but cant see where I can shed more weight without doing anything extreme

I know I could switch to a 1500g wheelset but I do like the wheels as is.

to get to 21-22 do I have to go to 1x10?

See less See more
#2 ·
29er to 26? The weight is impressive for a hardtail. People are building 1200-1400g wheelsets to save weight.

can save some weight on the stem/seat/grips. Check out ESI grips. Check out ashima rotors instead of the shimano ones.

Really though, if the tires are working for you and the saddle is comfy, there isn't much to do without spending some serious coin for xtr bits.

#4 ·
My bike weighed approximately 23 pounds and I couldn't find areas to save weight (other than carbon roval wheels). But, I eventually found it in losing my chain guide and going XX1 crankset. I also upgraded my cassette from X9 to XX. And then went from a Selle Italia Max Flite gel to a Selle Italia SLR Carbonio Flow. Now the bike weighs 20.85 pounds. I also went from a SJ Carbon Comp frame to a Niner Air9 RDO, but, ironically, the weight savings in the frame swap was minimal.

#16 ·
Build up a set using more durable hubs imo. Novatec hubs are not known for being the most durable choice, especially for stronger riders. Don't let the lust of lightweight parts leave you with less than reliable results.

#18 ·
the cheaper hubs like bitex, novatec, etc are all really good in my experience.

They won't be as high-end light as say, his dt240s, but people break star ratchet systems too.

The new novatec stuff Brian Lopes is on looks pretty nice as well
Brian Lopes is not on the hubs that LB offers, the LB hubs are in fact known for imploding under strong riders. They are cheap for a reason, corners are cut at every opportunity. Build a set with decent hubs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.