mtbr member
    Sep 2011

where is the weight?

I bought an access stealth used (carbon hardtail) and Im trying to figure out where the weight is. Right now it is 23.8 pounds. The thing is the parts are already pretty good.

frame access stealth medium (cant find exact weight but have seen references to 1100g)

Seat - wtb volt team 229g
    truvative noir T20 - 190g
    ec90 seat post 200g
    2x10 XT drive train 28/40 and 11/34 cassette
    xt brakes
    160mm front/rear ice tech rotors
    light bicycles carbon wheels w/dt swiss hubs - 1726
    nobby nic, maxxis ikon
    shimano 510 pedals
    specialized stem (not sure, white maybe a proset?) - possibly 150g
    headset some kind of FSA headset.
    grips lizard skin lock ons - maybe 96g

I feel like I should easily be able to get down to 21-22 lbs, but cant see where I can shed more weight without doing anything extreme

I know I could switch to a 1500g wheelset but I do like the wheels as is.

to get to 21-22 do I have to go to 1x10?

Dropshot Champ!
    29er to 26? The weight is impressive for a hardtail. People are building 1200-1400g wheelsets to save weight.

can save some weight on the stem/seat/grips. Check out ESI grips. Check out ashima rotors instead of the shimano ones.

Really though, if the tires are working for you and the saddle is comfy, there isn't much to do without spending some serious coin for xtr bits.

Formerly of Kent
    How in the world do your wheels weigh 1726g?

mtbr member
    My bike weighed approximately 23 pounds and I couldn't find areas to save weight (other than carbon roval wheels). But, I eventually found it in losing my chain guide and going XX1 crankset. I also upgraded my cassette from X9 to XX. And then went from a Selle Italia Max Flite gel to a Selle Italia SLR Carbonio Flow. Now the bike weighs 20.85 pounds. I also went from a SJ Carbon Comp frame to a Niner Air9 RDO, but, ironically, the weight savings in the frame swap was minimal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    How in the world do your wheels weigh 1726g?
    Im not sure what you mean. That is not particularly light or heavy. It is without tires or cassette

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

RE: where is the weight?

What forks?
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    My bike weighed approximately 23 pounds and I couldn't find areas to save weight (other than carbon roval wheels). But, I eventually found it in losing my chain guide and going XX1 crankset. I also upgraded my cassette from X9 to XX. And then went from a Selle Italia Max Flite gel to a Selle Italia SLR Carbonio Flow. Now the bike weighs 20.85 pounds. I also went from a SJ Carbon Comp frame to a Niner Air9 RDO, but, ironically, the weight savings in the frame swap was minimal.
    going to xx1 front (dropping front derailleur) probably was most of the weight right? Does that mean the XX1 crankset dropped 1.75 pounds?

Ive seen it weighed at 550, xt is like 750. Front dr and shifter is like 250 so that is about a pound.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    People are building 1200-1400g wheelsets to save weight.
    How so?

I'd like to build a wheelset at 1500gr without breaking the bank
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: where is the weight?

Lockon grips are heavy. esi racer or chunky comfort, or foam for even lighter.

Convert to 1x front

Titanium skewers, light bottle cages. Light inner tubes are typical best bang buck savings.

What shock do you have on it?

Formerly of Kent
    Carbon rims with DT hubs at 1762g is pretty darn heavy.

The light-bicycle 30mm wheels, using their hubs, weigh ~1500g. How do you pack 262g on top of that?

AZ
    banned

The light-bicycle 30mm wheels, using their hubs, weigh ~1500g. How do you pack 262g on top of that?

Could be spoke selection and possibly a ghetto tubeless setup me thinks. That or there was a scale malfunction.

Formerly of Kent
    Light-bicycles dot com has a carbon wheelset at 1500g, for $568.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    going to xx1 front (dropping front derailleur) probably was most of the weight right? Does that mean the XX1 crankset dropped 1.75 pounds?

Ive seen it weighed at 550, xt is like 750. Front dr and shifter is like 250 so that is about a pound.
    For me, no. Only because I was already 1x10. I was using the MRP Bling Ring (spiderless) attached to the X9 crank, with an e.thirteen chain guide. So I had already ditched the Front Dr. Once I went to XX1, I lost the weight in a lighter front ring, didn't need the chain guide, crank arms are now carbon, and saved more weight in the bottom bracket going from GXP to PF30.

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevocastro View Post
    How so?

I'd like to build a wheelset at 1500gr without breaking the bank
    I didn't say it would be cheap

The light bicycle wheels are reviewing well, and leduke just posted the price. not bad!

American Classic race wheels are ~1398g

mtbr member
    Wow, what's the catch on those wheels? I'm intrigued.

AZ
    banned
    Build up a set using more durable hubs imo. Novatec hubs are not known for being the most durable choice, especially for stronger riders. Don't let the lust of lightweight parts leave you with less than reliable results.

Dropshot Champ!
    the cheaper hubs like bitex, novatec, etc are all really good in my experience.

They won't be as high-end light as say, his dt240s, but people break star ratchet systems too.

The new novatec stuff Brian Lopes is on looks pretty nice as well

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    the cheaper hubs like bitex, novatec, etc are all really good in my experience.

They won't be as high-end light as say, his dt240s, but people break star ratchet systems too.

The new novatec stuff Brian Lopes is on looks pretty nice as well
    Brian Lopes is not on the hubs that LB offers, the LB hubs are in fact known for imploding under strong riders. They are cheap for a reason, corners are cut at every opportunity. Build a set with decent hubs.

Dropshot Champ!
    I don't know what hubs LB builds with. I've been on CK, I9, DT, Mavic, WTB/AC hubs, and the novatecs and bitex hubs have been just as great. Lower POE, sure, but reliable as hell.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just to throw this out there: LB will build with whatever hubs you want and they can get any of the Novatec hubs at good prices from what i've heard. I'm planning on heading that direction next time my damn Mavic hub blows up...

Ski during the off-season

Aside from spoke selection, it depends on which set of DT hubs, axle selection and if any additional carbon was used with the rims. The quoted 1500g is for 9mm and 10/135mm QR using Novatec hubs -- the Novatec hubs with thru axles goes up by several hundred grams. If I remember correctly from my research, the weight of DT 220 hubs with thru axles is a little more that the Novatec QR hubs, but DT 3xx series are heavier. Additionally, LB allows one to specify additional layers of carbon, which can add more weight. A few g here and few g there adds up.... ;-)

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by journey View Post
    Aside from spoke selection, it depends on which set of DT hubs, axle selection and if any additional carbon was used with the rims. The quoted 1500g is for 9mm and 10/135mm QR using Novatec hubs -- the Novatec hubs with thru axles goes up by several hundred grams. If I remember correctly from my research, the weight of DT 220 hubs with thru axles is a little more that the Novatec QR hubs, but DT 3xx series are heavier. Additionally, LB allows one to specify additional layers of carbon, which can add more weight. A few g here and few g there adds up.... ;-)
    Yeah, but he's talking about dropping like two pounds. That's what.... 900 grams? You're not going to lose 900 grams by dropping 20g here and there, unless you have 40 places to 'here and there'.

No, he needs like 100-200-300g losses to get to 21 lbs.

Have you actually weighed that frame? Just because it's carbon doesn't mean it's light.... And shedding frame weight is the most expensive place to shed weight.

Maybe a carbon lefty fork?

Tires, cassette, super light tubes or minimal tubeless, are places to shed big weight.

Honestly, unless you're willing to run stupid skinny tires, or other big compromises, I think you'll have a hard time getting down to 21 lbs.

Ski during the off-season

Cool-blue Rhythm It's just money...

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Yeah, but he's talking about dropping like two pounds.
    Agreed, but I was responding to the question on the "heavy 1762g" 30mm wheels when light-bicycle lists them at ~1500g.

As far as the OP's question, getting it down to 21-22 pounds is easy, but costly ;-) As a reference, the SJ S-Works weighs 20lbs 6oz which is based on a frame that weighs 1180g (see the following: 2013 Specialized Mountain Bikes - Complete Overview & Actual Weights). Usually the S-Works are carbon / XTR / XX everything--you have to pay to play though as the S-Works MTB's are usually triple the price of the base alloy MTB.

It is the small 50g-100g that adds up. Being a bit anal, I created a spreadsheet where I started comparing the components on my SJ to the components on a SJ S-Works. I have accounted for all but 1 pound of my SJ, which is likely due to the cables, misc screws, etc.

My new (to me) SJ Elite 29er is just under 30lbs. I came from a Giant NRS 26" -- two different bikes and built with different purposes, but I can definitely tell the difference of about 5 pounds when I am riding up hill (well, I can tell the difference going down hill too, and that is why I went with the SJ over an EPIC).

Anyway, here are some #'s that I remember:
    - Switch out XT brakes for Avid XX -- the Avids may howl at you, but you will likely save 75-100g per brake set. From what I remember, switching out the discs will save you another 30-50g each.

- XX Cassette can save you another 100+g

- I have read that the Syntace F109 stem comes in at 108g rather than the 150g-160g weight of the standard Spec stem.

- Look at a new set of pedals as well -- I was running an old set of basic Shimano clipless (550g), and the XTR trail pedals are only 400g. If you went with egg beaters, you could drop even more weight.

- As suggested above, go with a XX1 setup. At least the big dollars will buy you something other than a lighter weight setup ;-)

- If you have LB wheels, you are probably already running tubeless, and it looks like you are already running some light tires. If not tubeless already, it might save you some weight. For my SJ, the OEM tubes only weighed 150g, so going tubeless did not buy me much when I used 3 oz of sealant in each tire (i.e., saved 40-50 g per tire).

- Fork as mentioned above -- not sure how much travel you have or how nice your current fork is, but if you have 160mm of travel, dropping down to 100mm will save you anywhere from a few oz to a pound. The air shock that I had put on my NRS only weighed 3 lbs as opposed to most 120-160mm travel FOX forks that weigh ~4 lbs.

Let see, if you do not consider the fork, tubeless, or going with a SRAM XX1 drive train, the above would get you 500g-600g, which is a start.

Good luck and I hope you still have some $$'s when all is said and done!
    Last edited by journey; 07-19-2013 at 06:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Pedals...what are 510s?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    TiGeo- FiveTen are sneakers