mtbr member
    Dec 2012

New question here. Where to weigh your bike....accurately ?

I'm new to this forum, but have been riding a Ti frame for a long time.

I've often wondered what a good place to weigh my bike would be.

The typical bathroom scale, I just don't think offers the accuracy most are looking for.

Anyone have any ideas they would like to share?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign2Rider View Post
    Okay, something like that. Although the one you likned to has a capacity of 11 lbs. I guess if you know you have a really light bike, that scale may be adequate.

Also, I didn't see the accuracy listed at all. I'm assuming a lot of those hanging fish scales are chinese made and probably not that accurate. Being off by 1%-5% or more kind of makes a scale useless.

I guess I just need to look for a high quality hanging scale. As with any precise instrument, quality will cost you more money.

Maromero
    Amazon.com: Feedback Sports Alpine Digital Scale: Sports & Outdoors
    Thats the one I have for complete bike weighing. For small components I use a jewelry pocket scale.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    An ebay scale for under $10 works nicely. it is accurate to +/- 20g, but you can find some with +/-10g accuracy.

If you want to spend a bit more, then the scale from Feedback Sports(post above) is the choice. Park Tool makes a similar one.

Chris.

mtbr member
    Weird they say 40kg/11lb weigh it in kg and convert anyway just a suggestion, spend a bit more and get some better ones. Personally I too have found the ebay cheapies pretty good for accuracy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    i just went to my lbs and use their scale.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My bathroom scale was .2 of a pound off. Inches weight at the shop it will give me a baseline.

bike rider
    Every bike shop in my town has a bike scale and I bought a digital fish scale that does 00.00lbs for around $25
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    i have a luggage scale with a hook that i hook under the saddle rail
    it showed 9,8kgs on a epic carbon expert no way its that light we have a parktool scale at work ill try that one might be more accurate
    i did however change bar, stem and added sworks carbon bar ends but those changes lightening it up that much is it possible

Plays with tools
    Any shipping store should have a certified scale. Trusting the calibration of a consumer scale regardless of what it was intended for is a bit of a.crap shoot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Any shipping store should have a certified scale. Trusting the calibration of a consumer scale regardless of what it was intended for is a bit of a.crap shoot.
    I have had the feedback sports scale for about 5 years now and have had no issues with the calibration. An easy way to test it, although not the most accurate but enough for the job, is to weight something of known weight, which in my case is a dumbbell. Now that I think of it, a gallon of water would be perfect for this since you can measure the volume out yourself.