mtbr member
    May 2013

Where can i save some weight. i am new on this:)

Hello MTbikers
    i just ordered CUBE┬*Reaction GTC SL 26 medium size 18inch
    Weights 10.35 kg without pedals. Budget wise i am kinda short now
    Need your thotts on dropping into less than 10kg with pedals.

Nor­wegr
    I'm slightly biased, but a lefty would most certainly drop your weight, although that's a very expensive route.

For smaller stuff I'd start replacing screws with titanium ones and get a non qr seatclamp.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Nice bike there, totally like the colours! Esp with the carbon frame and all, a good start for the WW journey indeed. I'm guessing with the pedals, it will probably be around 10.7kg at the most.

I'm assuming you plan to make less drastic changes to begin with, so here are some suggestions:

Saddle. The stock saddle is quoted to be around 270g? So, if you can get something around the 170g region (if you don't need the padding, then just shoot for a pure carbon saddle which will weigh 100g at the most), it'll save you 100g.

Next would be the handlebars. I'm guessing the AL bars will weigh around 280g. Consider getting a flat bar and you'll be able to cut the weight down to 120g, saving about 160g.

Seatpost. Man, those RFR posts weight 330g! I would go for carbon and not an AL one to prevent any complications like corrosion that occurs when carbon interacts with AL (you can google more on that). A reasonable exotic carbon seatpost will weigh around 180g, so that's savings of 150g.

Grips. The stock grips probably weigh around 85g according to the cube website. Foam grips from KCNC and so on only will weight about 20g, so 65g saved there.

So far there's about 475g of weight savings.

More 'debatable' changes:

- Not sure if the stock wheelset is tubeless (doubt it), but going tubeless will save you about 200g or more in total.

- I'd also look into changing the crankset (save about 100g with a lighter AL crank? depends on how much you are willing to spend of course... carbon will be a nice but expensive option)

- Lighter rotors?

- Lighter FD (Use a road FD or CX-70 FD... modifications may be required tho)

- Lighter chain (eg. KMC 10SL) You save only about 35g tho...

- Lighter stem (not much savings here)

That's all I can think of for now unless you are prepared to change major stuff like drive train components or even the wheelset (another great potential to cut weight).

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for all advices . All suggestions appreciated deeply.
    I am open in ideas . I wanna proceed carefully and change spare parts once without doing backpedaling and create a stock of stuff
    FOCUS on stem-handlebar flat-seatpost-seatclamp for start!!!
    A journey has just started. Lets enjoy it so we dont get lost.

mtbr member
    Like Hidden star said.
    Grips, saddle, seatpost, handlebar.
    That can be done reasonable inexpensive especially if you go with the lightly used route. And dropping a half a kilo from the upper edges of the bike will help in many ways.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Any good suggestion for a lefty fork? Selling the fox float fork and adding some extra cash wouldnt be problem i think.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    In my opinion, don't change the Fox fork. These forks perform really well and it's a signature component in many bikes. The stock Fox fork probably weighs around 1.45kg and it is a really good weight already. You won't save alot by using a lefty, probably ~100g if you get a carbon lefty which is gonna cost a bomb.

Not to forget, you gotta change your front wheel hub to mount it on the lefty and leftys look weird (sry, personal preference here).

mtbr member
    Your fork weighs 1.54 kg according to Fox.
    Leftys range from about 1.6 kg to 1.17 kg for the super expensive carbon ones.

The weight savings is pretty small for the price. Also, definitely ride a lefty before you buy one.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Just changed grips-seatpost-saddle-seatclamp. At this moment should be on 9.9kg
    Need some ideas/suggestions on wheelset/tires, drive trains, casette, chain, stem , handlebar and a good suggestion for flat pedals. Transmision wise gonna stick for now in XT .

mtbr member
    Handlebars. Yours weigh about 190g. You could pick up some Easton EC90 riser bars that weight 135g. or get flat bars that weigh even less.

Stem. Here are the weights for the Syntace stem you have depending on size. You could get a richey or easton carbon stem that weighs around 100g.
    90 mm: 137 g
    100 mm: 143 g
    110 mm: 149 g
    120 mm: 155 g

Personally I like the Syntace parts you have on there now. They are not the lightest of the light, but they are super durable, look great and are still lighter than most. They also cost more than most parts because they are such a high quality brand.

I think the best place for you to lose weight is the wheelset. I did some searching to see how much they weigh but couldn't find an exact figure. Some said 1800g some said 2000g some didn't know.

Losing weight of rotational mass is much more beneficial than losing a few grams on a stem.

How much do you want to spend on wheels? I picked up my XT wheelset (used) for $165 They weighed in at 1790g and are aluminum. You can pick up some enve wheels that can be as light as 1100-1500 g for the set, and spend a couple thousand dollars.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Check out the Mt Zoom handlebars - 110g for 640mm and pretty cheap if I remember correctly.

I would go from 3x10 to 2x10 by changing out the rings up front (running bigger rings on inner and middle position) - Getting the Chinook 42-28 or 40-26 and you would save some weight for sure.

Also if your in Europe you should check out superlight-bikeparts.de. They have some quality lightweight wheel sets to good prices. Go with any of the ZTR's for a tubeless setup as your tires are already tubeless ready.

mtbr member
    Move to 1x10 gearing: drop a shifter, front derailleur, and a couple of chainrings.