Trail rider and racer

Where can I get Nokians at a fair and reasonable price?

I need to get some decent tyres for my up and coming 24 hour race, and I think these Nokians are going to be the perfect choice.

I assume they handle Sand OK?

So where are the best places to purchase these tyres? Whats the average price people are paying?

Cheers
    Trevor!
    Trev!

banned

starbike.com (30$)

starbike.com in germany lists them at 29.90 Euro.
    deduct 16% german tax which you don't have to pay...25.1 Euro = 30$

i don't know how good they are in sand.if it's not too deep they should be great.on gravelled groads they are perfect.

mtbr member

why don't you get sponsorship?

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    I need to get some decent tyres for my up and coming 24 hour race, and I think these Nokians are going to be the perfect choice.

So where are the best places to purchase these tyres? Whats the average price people are paying?

Cheers
    Trevor!
    trevor,
    why don't you get sponsorship? since you are ridding so much and racing all the time, you would need some sponsorship in order to keep it up with chains, tires, cassettes...
    I'm sure if you write some distributeurs, they'll be happy to make some arrangements.
    at least in europe, anyone racing in an elite level would get all bike and equipments at cost price or less, plus free maintenance, plus free clothes, plus racefee and travel paid.
    what do you get in australia trevor?
    didier

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Didier Carpentier
    trevor,
    why don't you get sponsorship? since you are ridding so much and racing all the time, you would need some sponsorship in order to keep it up with chains, tires, cassettes...
    I'm sure if you write some distributeurs, they'll be happy to make some arrangements.
    didier
    Hey Didier,

If I could, I would have sponsorship - Trust me! But in Australia, getting sponsorship at any level is like getting blood out of a stone. Cycling is such a big sport in Australia. We produce some stunning track cyclists, road cyclists and good mountain bikers, yet elements such as simple sponsoring and simple support is so hard to come by. Some small deals are available but are not worth the effort, as in the long run, the real winner is the person sponsoring you not you the rider, and I think that it is important for the benefits to be balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Didier Carpentier
    anyone racing in an elite level would get all bike and equipments at cost price or less, plus free maintenance, plus free clothes, plus racefee and travel paid.
    Thats would be dream for sure. A very good friend of mine races around the world and will compete at the Olympics this year, and I don't even think he gets a deal that good.

I get absolutely no sponsorship at the moment, despite traveling across the country to race in other states. I generally don't buy any of my supplies in Australia, in order to be able to afford racing and all the expenses associated with it. Hard work and sacrifices keeps me achieving my goals. Till then, I guess I have to fend for myself like the majority of cyclists. I am out to have fun, and complete a challenge. Sponsorship would be an added bonus I guess.
    Trev!

Boj
    mtbr member

Cheers
    Trevor!
    Trevor, get them at Aebike.com

I got mine from them for $31 each. They were great to deal with and, best of all, their shipping cost to Aus was very reasonable.
    If in doubt - pedal harder!!!

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Boj
    Trevor, get them at Aebike.com

I got mine from them for $31 each. They were great to deal with and, best of all, their shipping cost to Aus was very reasonable.
    Thanks for that. I spotted AE Bike but was unsure..

Cheers
    Trevor!
    Trev!

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Thanks for that. I spotted AE Bike but was unsure..

Cheers
    Trevor!
    Todays course had alot of sand, I would say they are noticably better in Sand then Pythons. Also corner better, surpossed to roll better, hmmm, I want some! But being on a hardtail the thin width scares me.
    Seeing it is soo dry here, I think all courses are going to be powder, hope it rains, I like mud!
    Larry also sells Nokian

banned

they seem wider....

even the size is more like a real 1.8" the ride is actually much smoother like that of a 2.1". strange but true! I use it on my HT and couldn't be happier.

just don't put too much pressure in them as when inflated too much the small, soft knobs will make for a vague feeling.i've found 36-40psi to be perfect.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    even the size is more like a real 1.8" the ride is actually much smoother like that of a 2.1". strange but true! I use it on my HT and couldn't be happier.

just don't put too much pressure in them as when inflated too much the small, soft knobs will make for a vague feeling.i've found 36-40psi to be perfect.
    So is the volume good? I have been told that they don't wear to well, so might get a set to use as race tires only, but then again, seeing they can be had for not too bad of a price I don't see why not use them all the time and just deal with the extra 25bucks a time or so(for the set). I guess I have a job now, it's not too bad
    I felt like my pythong weren't doing to well today, very slippery, but I think every one had that fealing.

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    So is the volume good? I have been told that they don't wear to well, so might get a set to use as race tires only, but then again, seeing they can be had for not too bad of a price I don't see why not use them all the time and just deal with the extra 25bucks a time or so(for the set). I guess I have a job now, it's not too bad
    I felt like my pythong weren't doing to well today, very slippery, but I think every one had that fealing.
    They are like 1.8" and they are small or low volume.
    Trev!

XC rider/racer

Nokian NBX 2.1

Raced on the Nokian NBX 2.1`s (not the light version mine weighed in at 616g) today and was very very impressed. I did a test ride around the course earlier in the week and for the first lap was a bit tentative on them until i got a good feel as to how they handled...after that it became a case of "sit back and enjoy the ride".
    In todays race i really give these tyres a workout, and it seemed the faster you went into/through a corner the better they would grip.
    They`re good in sand, although can start to get a little bit washy in the deeper stuff, but it seemed like i didnt have to work as hard to keep them going in the direction i wanted as compared to other tyres.
    The sidewalls on the NBX 2.1 seemed quite durable too......i had some rather hard scrapes against various protruding rocks and the tyres came through a-okay.
    Oh, and did i mention they are fast rolling
    I weigh 160lbs, and ran these tyres at 37psi front & rear.
    I got mine from Lifecycles at Penrith $150 for the pair......the NBX distributor in NSW is aeropannier.com.au I`m pretty sure they do direct internet sales as well.
    Cheers