mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Where to buy a scale? Help me be a weenie

How cheaply can I get a reliable scale? I dont' know if this is asking too much, but it would be nice to have a scale to weigh parts on, but could a scale like this also be used for measuring my entire bike's weight?

Or am I looking at like a 10g-1000g balance, plus then buying say a fish scale to weigh the complete bike?

Since I want to be spending money on bike parts, not scales, how reliable are the non-digital ones?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    eBay's your best bet

On MTBR hiatus :(

Escali 136DS

Probably one of the better deals out there is the Escali Belecco 136D or 136DS.

1g resolution, up to 13.2 lbs. total weight, all the usual bells and whistles. Comes in handy in the kitchen or when shipping packages, too.

Just passing through....

Go to Ebay

Quote Originally Posted by ~ScaryFast~
    How cheaply can I get a reliable scale? I dont' know if this is asking too much, but it would be nice to have a scale to weigh parts on, but could a scale like this also be used for measuring my entire bike's weight?

Or am I looking at like a 10g-1000g balance, plus then buying say a fish scale to weigh the complete bike?

Since I want to be spending money on bike parts, not scales, how reliable are the non-digital ones?
    Go to Ebay and find a cheap, new, digital postal scale for weighing components (or go to Office Depot). They go for about $20-$30. I've heard mixed opinions on the accuracy of fish scales, so be careful. If you have access to a physician type balance scale, one for weighing people, you can just weigh yourself, then hold the bike and weigh yourself again. The difference will be the weight of the bike. I am fortunate enough to have access to 2 of these scales plus a freight scale. They all consistently give me the same readings so I know they are accurate, (or uniformly inaccurate ) You can also find hanging dial scales in the 30-60 lbs range for about $30 on Ebay. But get the component scale first.

noob
    Feb 2004
    I picked up a great scale on eBay for around $35USD. It is a MyWeigh6001 or 6000. I picked it up from an eBay seller named OldWillKnott. All he does is sell scales, and I highly recommend him for his service and the products he offers.

On MTBR hiatus :(

That's the one!

Quote Originally Posted by turb0
    It is a MyWeigh6001 or 6000.
    That's the one I was all set to buy due to the great reviews, until I found the Escali 136 which is supposedly the same scale off the same production line just with a smaller price tag. But MyWeigh has a much better customer service & QC reputation online than Escali, even though they're essentially the same product. For $35 I would have bought the MyWeigh instead.