Neg reppers r my biatches

When are wheels "light"?

I am finally building a bike where I think I will actually take the weight serious thus, I call upon your expertise.

I just purchased a Ti hardtail (Ionic Fury) and am building it up as a project bike where it would be used for racing and general non-technical riding.

At this point I only have the frame and plan to buy 1 part per paycheck and want to start with the wheelset.

I am really confused when it comes to wheels......what is considered light? Please keep in mind I dont want to spend a ton of money as this will not be my primary ride and I simply cant justify spending a bunch since I have a good deal on money in my other bikes. Is 1800 grams reasonably light? It there some threshold at which you feel a wheelset is generally "light"? For example, would Mavic 517 with XTR hubs be considered reasonably light? I think I can affort this type of wheelset but was curious as to your thoughts on this or other wheelsets that can be found at a reasonable price.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    I am finally building a bike where I think I will actually take the weight serious thus, I call upon your expertise.

I just purchased a Ti hardtail (Ionic Fury) and am building it up as a project bike where it would be used for racing and general non-technical riding.

At this point I only have the frame and plan to buy 1 part per paycheck and want to start with the wheelset.

I am really confused when it comes to wheels......what is considered light? Please keep in mind I dont want to spend a ton of money as this will not be my primary ride and I simply cant justify spending a bunch since I have a good deal on money in my other bikes. Is 1800 grams reasonably light? It there some threshold at which you feel a wheelset is generally "light"? For example, would Mavic 517 with XTR hubs be considered reasonably light? I think I can affort this type of wheelset but was curious as to your thoughts on this or other wheelsets that can be found at a reasonable price.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers
    I built up a 21.5 lbs hardtail using wheels that were 1800+ grams, however, thats not really that light. Most light wheelsets are under 1500 grams for V-brakes, around 1600 grams for disc. Look at some of the wheelsets in the JensonUSA catalog. There are some pretty light ones there at a very reasonable cost.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

Trail rider and racer
    I think anything past 1750gr or so is getting too heavy for a bike that is strictly XC race/ XC ride orientated.

For disk wheelsets I think acceptable is up to around 1650gr with the average being more like 1600g and few extra light high dollar exceptions being below that 1600g level.

For V brakes, same sort of rule, around 1550gr to as low as 1350gr.

I don't care what anyones says, when you get to the really low end, using silly light weight hubs, the weight savings are negated by the hassles caused by poorly sealed hubs etc. (ie American Classic hubs are delicate IMHO)..
    Trev!

Thank you gentlemen

In light of the advice you provided, which is very helpful, which wheelsets then should I consider? Am I dreaming to expect to get something reasonably priced (< $300) at this light range? If there are some sets that are recommended I would appreciate them called out if you dont mind.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I'd say

for what you're looking to spend, you probably won't approach the really light wheelsets. $300, let alone less, doesn't buy you too much, unless someone here has a line on a smoking deal.

San

makes sense...

Quote Originally Posted by oldmansan
    for what you're looking to spend, you probably won't approach the really light wheelsets. $300, let alone less, doesn't buy you too much, unless someone here has a line on a smoking deal.

San
    Thanks.

I assumed that was the answer. Phrased differently then, what do you think might be the best way to go for $300? Would Mavic 517 with XTR hubs be a reasonable choice at this price range?

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    In light of the advice you provided, which is very helpful, which wheelsets then should I consider? Am I dreaming to expect to get something reasonably priced (< $300) at this light range? If there are some sets that are recommended I would appreciate them called out if you dont mind.

Cheers
    It's possible...

A couple of years ago I bought a 1480 gram wheelset on Ebay for $200. It was a 2000 S-Works wheelset. It's my racing wheelset and it works like a champ (stans installed).

mtbr member
    Wheels: rims notubes, hubs American Classic Disc, Radios Wheelsmith DB15 1.8/1.55/1.8, polished. Cabecillas Wheelsmith alu negras.

Front Wheel:-------------------------------------------- 631 gr.

Rear Wheel: --------------------------------------------- 733 gr.

SERGIO

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MIRANDA
    Wheels: rims notubes, hubs American Classic Disc, Radios Wheelsmith DB15 1.8/1.55/1.8, polished. Cabecillas Wheelsmith alu negras.

Front Wheel:-------------------------------------------- 631 gr.

Rear Wheel: --------------------------------------------- 733 gr.

That's freakin uber How much $$ is this set up???

mtbr member
    i dont know, but here in spain(the more expensive place in the world to buy bikes)
    2 rims 200$, 2 hubs 200$, and spokes, about 60$
    SERGIO

used to be uno-speedo....
    Get in touch with Mike at oddsandendos. Tell him what you want and he'll help you. Gets tons of good feedback on this forum.

Samsonite Tester
    FoShizzle kick down a couple of paydays on Chris King hubs. Major weight savings and blig bling like a mofo. Put a not the lightest ie weakest hoop on and add stans.You'll have a wheelset that rolls faster and last longer than three bikes.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

MaL*size=
    Spain expensive?¿?¿

You must be joking. Bikes are really expensive, but only foreign bikes.

Here you have the best price for shimano in the whole world. And as euro is stronger than dollar you can buy online reaally cheap.

Stan rims are expensive and weak, and 1,8 spokes can damage hub holes if you dont use dt spacers

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by MaLL
    Spain expensive?¿?¿

You must be joking. Bikes are really expensive, but only foreign bikes.

Here you have the best price for shimano in the whole world. And as euro is stronger than dollar you can buy online reaally cheap.

Stan rims are expensive and weak, and 1,8 spokes can damage hub holes if you dont use dt spacers
    Spacers ? Is that something that centers the nipple in the rim hole. Like an eyelet.

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

Darn you!

Quote Originally Posted by Evel Knievel
    FoShizzle kick down a couple of paydays on Chris King hubs. Major weight savings and blig bling like a mofo. Put a not the lightest ie weakest hoop on and add stans.You'll have a wheelset that rolls faster and last longer than three bikes.
    How dare you take advantage of my weakness to always spend more than I originally planned....this is an all too common occurrence when I buy bike stuff. Now that you have mentioned it (what I was thinking in the back of my subconscious mind anyway) I probably will end up doing what you say. My logic will be something like "...$250 dollars more over 2 years is only about $10 a month which is not too much....".

Anyway, thanks for the reality check and because of peer pressure, again, my bike will end up being far too robust for the very average rider that I am.

Cheers

p.s. who might have the best deals on King hub wheelsets?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    I think anything past 1750gr or so is getting too heavy for a bike that is strictly XC race/ XC ride orientated.

For disk wheelsets I think acceptable is up to around 1650gr with the average being more like 1600g and few extra light high dollar exceptions being below that 1600g level.

For V brakes, same sort of rule, around 1550gr to as low as 1350gr.

I don't care what anyones says, when you get to the really low end, using silly light weight hubs, the weight savings are negated by the hassles caused by poorly sealed hubs etc. (ie American Classic hubs are delicate IMHO)..
    Not to get off the subject, but what about light tires/wheels/rims/nipples and spokes on a wheelset but the hubs are "heavy" shimano xt? The weight is at the center. I have a pair that is 317/db/alloy with 550g tires and 100g tubes (yes, can go lighter but they are durable), and they roll fast. I've had 1550 g disc wheels and it's great for climbing but I'd say 90% of the time I can't tell the diff.

It's difficult finding durable hubs, er, American Classic issues... or King money issues (for me).

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    had dave thomas build me a set with kings...

front: 608g
    rear: 819g

bling bling fo sho

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks in advance,

Cheers
    Do a search over the past month for several posts on budget lightweight wheels. You'll see some great info come up.

From my reading, I'd say 1500grams for a V brake setup (w/o rim strips or skewers) is considered 'light'.

The best values are looking for rebadged hugi's prebuilt such as the one mentioned earlier the Sworks wheelset. Also someone's used Hugi/517. or some used White industries/517 wheels

To build your own, your not going to get the under 1500g without spending some serious cash unless you are able to find some hubs super cheap. This is because the cost of individual components, rims, hubs, spokes adds up and it is difficult to compare that cost to what the big box outlets (Jenson, etc) can sell machine built wheels for.

Hubs that are considered super light include
    Hugi, American Classic, Tune, Soul, Chris King. And all these cost a pretty penny new or used. Lightweight rims include UFO, X517 (under 400g), and the heavier but more durable DT XR 4.1 (425g). Again all cost a decent amount unless you can find them on screaming deal (517 on sale all over right now).

Good value hubs include GT/Hadleyrear hub (274-283grams), Ringle SOB front hub, Nuke Proof, White industries

For your intended use, I would say an XTR/517 set from a big box outlet would do fine. You can detension them then retension them to make them as good as handmade. Otherwise keep your eyes open for a good ebay find on Sworks wheelsets, or Hugi/517 or similar. Or build your own by handpicking ebay/closeout finds.

Spend time at www.weightweenies.starbike.com and get an idea of what individual components weigh.

Samsonite Tester
    How dare you take advantage of my weakness to always spend more than I originally planned....this is an all too common occurrence when I buy bike stuff. Now that you have mentioned it (what I was thinking in the back of my subconscious mind anyway) I probably will end up doing what you say. My logic will be something like "...$250 dollars more over 2 years is only about $10 a month which is not too much....".

Anyway, thanks for the reality check and because of peer pressure, again, my bike will end up being far too robust for the very average rider that I am.

Cheers

p.s. who might have the best deals on King hub wheelsets?
    Good choice FoShizzle to go for the kings. I have one more payment on my CK ,Stan's rim wheelset. Yes they were spendy. IMO well worth it .
    They are the fastest rolling wheels I've been on. CK bearings are the best. A short break in period bothers some but it is all good.

I'm not sure CK ever goes on sale. ) :

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think a lot of the people on this board are very used to super high end and exotic stuff, but if you say that you want a light set of wheels for what is NOT your primary bike, I think a set of XTR/517s is a fantastic way to go and you can usually get them for a very good price.

Here in Canada, I know that a few of the big distributors sells (or used to sell when I was in the market) XTR/517s with DT competition spokes as a mass produced item, which meant that you could get a good price and avoid all the labour charges of having someone build them up for you.

Hey Trevor and company: are your wheel weights including QR or not? I bought a set of Chris King/DT Comp/alloy nip/517s off eBay for US$250 last winter, so a good deal can be had. However, according to published weights I added up my wheelset to be 1570g....I haven't felt a wheel lighter than mine amongst my fellow racers, but apparently according to this board my wheels barely qualify as "light"?

I guess it all depends on who you talk to...

Light is Right

I vote for Mavic X517s on XT or XTR hubs...

These can usually be had for under $300 (sometimes well under), and they are light where it counts most--in the rims, where the effect of rotating mass is greatest. Slap on some nice, light tires (like Maxxis Minotaur 380s for under $20 a pop) and tubes (or no-tubes), and go ride!

mtbr member
    May 2004

Speedream.com

Dave Thomas built me a set at 1367gms.A year and a half later still true as the day I picked them up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pahana
    Dave Thomas built me a set at 1367gms.A year and a half later still true as the day I picked them up.
    What were the specs of this set, and how much did it cost?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

The 517

XT or XTR combo is good. They're on my training bike. I have the first set of Dave Thomas' Chris King/Bontrager rim wheels that were later reviewed by one of the mags. The mag said the difference between Dave's wheels and the competition was as obvious as a "slap in the face." Very light, and very stiff. They were so stiff in the front (radial laced) I almost didn't race on them when I got them. You won't true his wheels anytime soon either. Dave will not build you a wheelset unless you call him so he can get your "vitals." I have two sets of his wheels. Like I said, the 517 XT/XTR combo is good. Dave will build you one of those too.

San